Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

844 posts, read 2,102,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFSS View Post
I was flying into LEX on Monday afternoon after a trip to Los Angeles.
Which airline did you fly that had monitors in the back of the seats? Every flight from/to Bluegrass Airport I have been on has been some rickety old plane... no monitors even overhead

Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 AM

15 posts, read 139,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Which airline did you fly that had monitors in the back of the seats? Every flight from/to Bluegrass Airport I have been on has been some rickety old plane... no monitors even overhead
I was in a NWA CRJ into LEX. No monitors in the seats on this plane. If you looked at other photos of mine from my website I was on a Delta 767 and it has the monitors.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
and please do post more if you have them!!
One of the most memorable afternoons I have ever spent was when my wife and I were provided a tour of Claiborne. I had been in Louisville on business less than a year before this and my boss and I took a drive out to Lexington to kill a free afternoon. Secretariat was still alive and having been a huge fan stopped at Claiborne to see him. The lady at the office asked if we had an appointment and it had never occurred to me to to think of scheduling one so they were not able to accommodate us on such short notice. Secretariat died a few months later.

A few months after that, my wife and I drove down to Florida and I called Claiborne and they set up a tour for us. We showed up and were met by the gentleman in these pictures that I believe was the Foreman (?). Expecting a brief walk around the stables and that he would get back to his more pressing responsibilities. I think he stayed with us for a couple hours, and took great pride in introducing all the famous horses that were still living there to us. I will always remember fondly the hospitality he provided a couple of strangers that had no connection to the horse world other than an appreciation for these magnificent athletes.

Easy Goer

"Fred" (Ferdinand), so very tragic the fate of this wonderful horse.

Nijinski II

Private Account

Danzig (I think)

Easy Goer's - Secretariat's - Bold Ruler's stall

Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM

335 posts, read 939,740 times
thank you and for the story! Private account is my user name's sire. I love those pics.

Danzig was dark bay/brown and that horse is chestnut....hmmm, I wonder who it is.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
thank you and for the story! Private account is my user name's sire. I love those pics.

Danzig was dark bay/brown and that horse is chestnut....hmmm, I wonder who it is.
Still have the stallion list from that visit which lists the 16 horses that were standing there at that time. The chestnuts identified are: Easy Goer, Ferdinand and Forty Niner so it may be one of those but I don't think he took Easy Goer out of his paddock to see us. The others not previously posted that were there were Cox's Ridge, Devils Bag, Majestic Light, Ogygian, Polish Navy, Seeking The Gold, Topsider and Vanlandingham (all listed as bay) and Proper Reality listed as dk b/brn.

In looking back through my old photo album, I still have some that I haven't scanned yet and I will post some of them as well. One photo identifies a shot of Ferdinand, Mr Prospector and Damascus but the quality isn't very good. Don't have what Damascus was as far as his color. I see I also have a couple of Private Account that you may get a kick out of.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM

335 posts, read 939,740 times
it is Forty Niner! He has a white sock on his rear left leg. Wonderful pictures! It breaks my heart to see Ferdinand but still very nice to see him as he lived at Claiborne.

Ogygian! Do you have any of him? He now lives at Old Friends in Georgetown. Awesome horse. I saw Seeking the Gold in 2008, I think he was pensioned shortly after. Polish Navy lives at Old Friends now too! If you ever make it back up to the area I highly recommend a visit to Old Friends. Would love to see the Private Account ones when you get time to scan them (I know that can be a pain).

Damascus was bay, it is amazing that you got to see him and the others. Sorry you missed out on Secretariat...sure wish I had gotten to see him too...and Easy Goer.

I also love the scenery shots of Claiborne. (which is in Paris, I know but still close )

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM

40 posts, read 171,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
The new & improved castle is looking good! I hope the curse is gone from it now.
Is that the castle on the way to Versailles? What is the real story with that place? My mom lives in Versailles.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM

38 posts, read 110,807 times
Can I ask.....why the double fencing on the horse farms?
Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM

15 posts, read 139,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglead2 View Post
Can I ask.....why the double fencing on the horse farms?
Thanks
I've been told three reasons:

1. It keeps them from trying to jump the fence to get where other horses are (not enough room).

2. It keeps a stallion in one field from being able to get up close with a stallion in an adjacent field (they usually hate each other and try to bite).

3. They look really neat and cool!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Here are some Old Frankfort Pike pics I took in June

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/22978017.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/22978022.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/22978002.jpg (broken link)

This is the Headley Whitney Art Museum

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/22977935.jpg (broken link)

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/22977926.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area