Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,803 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am certainly not new to Lexington. I have worked and lived here for over ten years. I am originally from the other end of the state (Paducah) and spent several years in Baltimore after graduating from WKU. Anyhoo, I currently live in downtown Lexington in an apartment in an old home (built in 1908). The huge house was converted into four apartments so it has character galore...high ceilings, hardwood floors, crown moulding, etc. While I like my apartment, I am looking into buying a house. I'd like a bit more space then my one bedroom apt offers and I would also like a yard. Also, storage SUCKS in my apartment. I have two tiny closets and that is it. I have taken to using my car's trunk for storage LOL

Anyhoo, while I like my apartment, the style is really not MY style. I like it much better then any cookie-cutter houses/apartments. I HATE cookie-cutter! But my style is really more a mid-century style. A mid-century home is what I grew up in and it is what I really like. I do not want anything large. It is just me and my two cats...and perhaps are larger dog when I get a home. I also keep saltwater fish tanks (small ones in the apartment). I have lusting to set up a larger one but don't want to do it in such a small place. Details of homes that I like...lower sloped roofs, higher longer windows so that furniture can be placed under window without blocking the window with maybe one or two really large windows, etc. I also really like homes that have wooden beams on the inside. I have seen some homes that fit this style around Lane Allen Rd. Someone also suggested Lansdowne area but most of those homes are much larger then anything I need. I would like to stay less then 2000sqft...preferably around 1500sqft. I would ideally like to spend $150,000 or less but am open to spending up to $200,000 if I find a home I just love. I am also open to houses that need some work as long as their price takes that into account. I would really prefer a house that is more original than not unless the updates that were done fit the style of the home.

Anyhoo, does anyone have suggestions on areas to look at besides Lane Allen Rd and Lansdowne. Remember I want a smaller home with mid century style in a decentish neighborhood. There are mid century homes out close to St Joes Hospital (I think) but the neighborhood is kinda scary so that area is a no-go for a single female. So no 'bad' neighborhoods. That said I would possibly be interested in revitalizing areas that have some mid century homes...just no really bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Check out Southland-Twin Oaks. There's lots of what you are seeking there, mostly brick and a few fieldstone ranch houses, plus Cape Cods. Look at the streets between Clays Mill Road and Southview, from Hollyhill Drive southward. These houses were built in the 1950s, are smaller than typical Lansdowne houses, and usually have hardwood floors, wood-burning fireplaces, separate garages (a few attached), attics and/or basements, one and a half or two bathrooms, and anywhere from two to four bedrooms. Picture windows are common in living rooms. Gas heat is usual, and gas stoves are possible here.

Many, but not all, of these houses have updated kitchens and bathrooms, while a few have been enlarged, typically with the addition of a family room in the rear. Lots are largish, with mature trees (back yards are a lot larger than front yards, and most are fenced). Schools, churches, and shopping are in walking distance, and parks are nearby. Southland has good city bus service, and is reasonably close to UK, but not close enough to be impacted by student rental "housing".

Lots of older folks and families with children live in Southland. Despite a recent rather lurid murder (between "partners") in this area, Southland is generally very safe, with middle-class residents who keep an eye out for one another. It would be quite safe for a single female - I know several single ladies who live in that area, both now and when I lived there myself. My then-next-door neighbor was a single female and she never had any safety issues (nor did anyone else in my neighborhood, as far as I know), and I don't think things have changed much since then.

If you want to upgrade a bit, of course the older Chevy Chase area has many of the same features, but houses are more costly there. Most date to the 1930s and many have been updated, enlarged and renovated. The small Mount Vernon subdivision off Tates Creek Road, across from Morton and Cassidy Schools, was built in the mid-1950s and has houses typical of that era, but again, it is considerably more costly than Southland would be.

Your budget should be sufficient for a nice two or three bedroom house in Southland. Check out open houses in this area to get an idea what is typical there.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM

969 posts, read 2,821,015 times

The areas you mentioned are good places.

Lexington didn't get bit hard by the Modern bug back then, so we don't see a lot of them. The best ones are in the higher end 50's/60's neighborhoods like Lakewood, Westmoreland and The Colony. We even saw some well into the 70's in neighborhoods like The Island, Greenbrier and Lakeside just to mention a few.

For your budget, you probably will not get as much Modern detail as you'd like, but they are out there. I've seen a few in just about any neighborhood built between the 50's and 70's. The Zandale Drive area is in your budget. Gainesway has several. There might be a few in Southland, but they will be pretty much the same ones you've seen around Lane Allen. Blueberry Hills will be on the low end of your range. There are some interesting ones on Medlock, which is off of Lansdowne Drive.

There are a few areas on the north end if you want to consider that side of town: Eastland has some really cool ones, but most are on a street that backs to super cheap apartments. That breaks my heart because I would love to have one. Kenawood and a few of the side streets off Eastin have really good ones too!

I love Mid Century homes. Let me know if I could help you in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area