Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Lexington, KY (spouse's job) and I am looking at potential employment opportunity in Florence, KY. Is the commute from Lexington to Florence a painful one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 PM

536 posts, read 961,139 times
It's over an hour commute, and depending on the time of day traffic could be pretty heavy. It's a little over 70 miles. Could take you longer if traffic is heavy, and there are accidents slowing things down. Could you find work in Lexington also? Come winter with ice on the roads, you might not like the commute so much.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Much of I-75 north of Georgetown is rather hilly, which may complicate things come winter snow. Moving to Georgetown would cut about twelve miles off your commute to Florence and would add those twelve miles to your wife's travel. The next town of any size would be Dry Ridge, which is much closer to Florence, but a fair distance from Lexington, and the snowy road problem would just transfer to your wife's commute.

I agree, perhaps you might want to look for work in Lexington to avoid town to-town commuting entirely.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,142 times
Aren't they able to keep I-75 pretty well cleaned off even in the heaviest snows? Just wondering...

Old 09-21-2014, 03:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Aren't they able to keep I-75 pretty well cleaned off even in the heaviest snows? Just wondering...
Yes, but it takes time to clear the Interstate, and meanwhile, accidents almost inevitably occur due to driver disregard of wintry conditions, further complicating matters and lengthening commute time.

It can be done, of course but these factors should be taken into account and alternatives examined, imho.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
No, they don't really. Kentucky doesn't have a lot snow incidents, although they are far enough north that sometimes it can substantial, so they aren't as good at clearing the roads as areas where heavy snowfall is commonplace. That isn't really the problem though. The bigger issue, and it creates far more dangerous driving conditions than snow, is ice. That is more common in Kentucky and intervention is more limited. But worse, because of all the bridges and overpasses along Kentucky highways black ice, which just looks like the same wet pavement you were driving on and occurs as temperatures are just at freezing, is fairly common. Driving on those days is harrowing and involves a lot of praying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area