Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Nazareth for 19 years now. For the most part it is a quite, quaint town. There are no more or less issues than any other town, but for Nazareth that is a move down. There was no such thing as teen crimes and locked doors, but I think that is the change in society as a whole. Also, if you are looking for a place to raise children, Nazareth still has one of the most sought after school district in the Lehigh Valley.

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,626,237 times
Nazareth is a great town, but I think it's stretching it to say that there school district is one of the "most sought after" If you compare the districts here, SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sc/scid=15624,14955,15835/pid=cmp/up_scid=15624,14955,15835/up_pn=1,1,1/up_ust=PA/up_csa=3 - broken link) you'll see that it's better then Pen Argyl, but not as good as East Penn. It's certainly better then Pen Argyl and Bangor but I don't think people choose Nazareth over East Penn and Parkland because they think their schools are better.

Here's the comparison with Pen Argyl, Bangor and Nazareth - SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sc/scid=15624,15835,14396/pid=cmp/up_scid=15624,15835,14396/up_pn=1,1,1/up_ust=PA/up_csa=3 - broken link)

And Saucon Valley's numbers - Saucon Valley Senior High School - Hellertown, Pennsylvania Schools | Schoolmatters.com (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sp/sid=15239 - broken link)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM

242 posts, read 839,194 times
Actually from a Real Estate point of view....Nazareth is a very requested school district. It gives residents quick access to both central and northern NJ for a commute. Much more so then East Penn....So when you evaluate school districts sometimes location plays more of a part then test scores.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Good point Jeff. Location is key. When we were looking for a house, we never looked further north then East Penn and no further South then Souderton because my husband's job was (still is) in Quakertown. So our search didn't encompass Parkland or Nazareth. Similarly, the OP's house search is going to focus on area's on the Eastern section of Lehigh county and western end of Northampton.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

124 posts, read 343,118 times
As is the same with our search...we cannot really move as far as the East Penn SD would take us for commuting reasons. I do know that these schools rate higher, but I had to base our decision on what the best school was at the distance we could allow ourselves and Nazareth ranked very high in Northampton County - actually #2 right below Saucon SD. I looked in Hellertown and it looks as though we cannot quite afford to be there - so Nazareth it is....that is, until it is confirmed that the KKK will be surrounding us!!!!! LOL - *You will know what I am talking about if you read my new thread....*

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM

208 posts, read 653,122 times
While considering the school district when choosing where to live, I do not believe it should be the only criteria considered. Each SD has their good and bad and those "statistics" that are offered up do not take into account the socio-economic differences of students. That often can make a huge difference. Some schools also may have larger special education departments that accept students from other districts too. While a smaller school may seem to score better than some larger schools, it also cannot offer some of the wonderful classes that a larger one may offer. For instance, a larger school may offer four years of Japanese. A school is what the student chooses to make of it and many students from schools with "lesser" scores have done very well for themselves and plenty of students from "the best" schools have done nothing.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
While considering the school district when choosing where to live, I do not believe it should be the only criteria considered. Each SD has their good and bad and those "statistics" that are offered up do not take into account the socio-economic differences of students. That often can make a huge difference. Some schools also may have larger special education departments that accept students from other districts too. While a smaller school may seem to score better than some larger schools, it also cannot offer some of the wonderful classes that a larger one may offer. For instance, a larger school may offer four years of Japanese. A school is what the student chooses to make of it and many students from schools with "lesser" scores have done very well for themselves and plenty of students from "the best" schools have done nothing.
I don't think anyone has said that numbers are everything, especially test scores. It's become common practice for schools to take quite a bit of time prepping them for the state tests to the detriment of the students. I'm in the process of doing a College search with my youngest son and "fit" means much more then where he can get in and what we can afford. I think families should go through a similar thought process when looking at School Districts, in the end though, if you have a good student, and you are involved in their education, they will do well.

Realtors, See This.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 64,762 times
Reviving this...what's the commute like from Nazareth to Allentown? Google says 25 minutes, but always hard to tell if that's realistic.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001sorin View Post
Reviving this...what's the commute like from Nazareth to Allentown? Google says 25 minutes, but always hard to tell if that's realistic.
You can get the best answer by giving a rough idea of where in Nazareth (the Nazareth zip code spans a pretty huge range - from above the town in the townships such as Bushkill and even over into Plainfield to down into Lower Nazareth Twp very close to Rt 22) and then also the area of Allentown to help gauge traffic. Time of day also affects these numbers greatly, as there are time of day related stoppages/slowdowns on Rte 22 typically during rush hour.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM

23 posts, read 64,762 times
thinking the town proper to 17th and chew allentown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley