Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the sports affiliation?
All Philly 2 14.29%
Mostly Philly (75/25) 3 21.43%
Lean Philly (55-60 to 40-45) 6 42.86%
Split 3 21.43%
Lean NY 0 0%
Mostly NY 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,441,483 times

Advertisements

I could ask this question about the region overall like:

1) Is it their own community OR
-Exurban Philly, NY, or both?

2) Do you get NY and or Philly stations, games, and papers?

But I was mainly curious on sports affiliations.

Is this solidly Philly with no New York influence, heavily Philly with NY influence, 50/50, or more New Yprk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
I voted split, but I think it's kind of complicated because the NY fans might be Giants or Jets, Yankees or Mets. Some people root for NY football, and Philly baseball, maybe vice-versa. Our family is all Philly as are all of our friends. We don't watch any NY based news shows since we don't really care about that area. We've never lived in any city, but grew up watching Philly sports.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times

As a media direct marketing area that Lehigh Valley is considered part of the Philadelphia area. However, the cable channels until recently carried New York television stations.

In November 1989 I-78 was finally completed making it easier for many people to drive to New York City than to Philadelphia. Accompanying the highway a lot more people moved into the LV from Greater New York area looking for cheaper housing, but a longer commute.

As you know the Giants from moved to East Rutherford in 1976 and the Jets came there in 1984 .

If I am talking to someone from a foreign country, I say that I am from "near Philadelphia" instead of "near New York"

Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
If I am talking to someone from a foreign country, I say that I am from "near Philadelphia" instead of "near New York"
Yes, I usually say that we live an hour north of Philadelphia. I'm guessing that maybe Service Electric and RCN have different channels that they carry. I really think most of ours are Philly affiliates and we have Service Electric.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I really think most of ours are Philly affiliates and we have Service Electric
Service Electric and RCN carry the same local channels. Normally the list is specified by the Fcc. There are duplicate PBS stations, MyTV stations, CW stations, Fox stations, and until about two weeks duplicate NBC stations. A few months ago ABC stations from Philadelphia and Scranton. CBS always came from Philadelphia only.

Fox, CW, and MyTV are affiliated businesses.

12 WLVT-39 PBS Allentown
21 WHYY-12 PBS Philadelphia

4 WPHL-17 My17 Philadelphia
9 WWOR-9 My9 New York

57 WPSG-57 CW Philadelphia
11 WPIX-11 CW New York

5 WTXF-29 Fox Philadelphia
13 WNYW-5 Fox New York

10 WCAU-10 NBC Philadelphia
17 WNBC-4 NBC New York <--- Just removed from RCN last week. Notice to watch NBC Philadelphia

In Prime-Time all NBC, CBS, ABC, or Fox stations are the same. Mostly to the consumer it didn't matter, unless you had a preference for local news.

It does matter to stations somewhat because it has a small effect on the ratings. But with only 1/4 million households in Northampton and Lehigh County the effect is minimal considering the size of the market.

I was just curious how it happened since these DMA's nationwide are supposed to be sacred.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-01-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley