Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 12:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times

Advertisements

Looks like the job offer is going to come thru...and its gotta be a good one before we move to PA as we are settled here in NY.

So know we are really confused as to the best schools there. I have heard lower saucon valley...but what about parkland school district.

What are the more upscale towns in the lehigh valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 PM

84 posts, read 419,848 times
Parkland School District is a very good district (the most sought after in the LV-I taught there before having a baby and deciding to stay home) as is the East Penn School District. Parkland and East Penn are consistently above state requirements in testing and have large, more well off, populations so they offer more sports, AP classes, clubs, etc. I've never really heard anything about the Saucon Valley School District so I can't comment on it. As far as more upscale areas, there are lots of new housing developments going in all over Upper and Lower Macungie Townships (EPSD for the most part with some PSD on the one side). There are also expensive developments in the Parkland area as well (South Whitehall Township). I don't know if there is really an exclusive/upscale town per se. Let me know if you have any other questions.

GraysMom

Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
Grays Mom--

Thats GREAT to know....I didnt want to come off snobish about asking for an upscale area...but lets be honest..there are always those "school districts" that are sought after..and the realtors will just give you the same "generic response" of "check the school test scores".

I did my own research and your comments prove it thru about which school districts are sought after. Naturally I am thinking that those schools have the higher tax amounts for real estate, and therefore will have higher home prices....(not that I want to spend too much LOLOL).

I guess my other questions would be.

1. Gangs...I keep hearing about gang issues in the LV area. Can I just assume that the upper and lower macungie epsd and parkland will not have the gang influences in these towns...or surrounding ones for that matter.

Where we live right now..there are only two towns that have "issues"....yet they are isolated and not near the mainstream areas...so therefore...we do not have to pass thru the bad towns to get to the shopping areas, or to the main parkways and such.

Where are the gangs in the LV...what specific towns, so I know that we will need to steer clear of them.

2. How long is the commute to bethlehem from the parkland and epsd areas?

3. Lastly, because I have little ones and am a SAHM....are upper and lower macunge (or towns in the school districts mentioned)....close to all major shopping (less than 10-15 minutes)---where we live its 40 minutes to the mall and its a headache and a half...so this time..I want to make sure that we live within a 10 mile radius of "everything".

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,364 times
The Lehigh Valley isn't bad as long as you stay out of Allentown which has lots of gang activity. That is close to where i read someone suggested Parkland School District which has some Allentown Kids in it if they live on the far end of Ott St near Dorney park. So be careful if you chose a house near there. It is closest to one of the biggest Parks in Allentown and there is a lot of gang activity that takes place there as well as drug deals. I lived across the street from it for 10 years and I hated even letting my kids leave the house. I just want you to be aware that the best area to live in for Parkland Schools would be Mc Cungie. There are alternative schools you might want to consider as well They have busing and are free. My best advice on alternative schools would be Lehigh valley Academy located in Bethlehem Pa. It's a tough School though. The kids will have a ton of homework even in Kindergarten,and the parents have to put in some volunteer time. But the Special education teacher there is a great teacher and you should ask for her if you need that and decide to use the school. It is a charter school. Her name is Mrs. Posipanko. The only down side to the special needs dept is that it gets a little overwhelmed because they need a larger or more classes at all grade levels. But Mrs. P as she is Known does a great job with the kids and manages her time very well. She was great with my daughter who needed it and my daughter loved her. She is a great teacher. You may not need the special education dept and that's great if you don't but she is the best if you do which is why I mention her.
Good Luck and I hope this helps you make a very difficult decision. Mac Cungie is minutes from several major shopping areas as well as movie theaters. 5-15 min most to a Walmart super center, gyms, Radio shack a strip mall 10-15 min from Lehigh Valley Mall. It is basically in the center of the whole enchilada in Lehigh valley and close to all major high ways including the Pa Turnpike. Good luck ad happy hunting. Just remember to stay away from Allentown houses ESPECIALLY since you have kids. No place to raise them take it from the mother of 7 who knows.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Where are the gangs in the LV...what specific towns, so I know that we will need to steer clear of them.
It sounds like you are leaning towards Lehigh county (which is slightly more urban than Northampton county).

The incorporated boroughs in Lehigh County are mostly low crime. They are generally a little cheaper than living in the townships. About 11% of the county lives in boroughs. The first four are the most upscale.
  1. Emmaus borough
  2. Macungie borough
  3. Coopersburg borough
  4. Alburtis borough
  5. Coplay borough
  6. Catasauqua borough
  7. Slatington borough
  8. Fountain Hill borough

Another 40% of the county lives in the cities of Allentown and a portion of the city of Bethlehem. Very few upper middle class people raising children in the cities.

Finally 50% of the population lives in the townships
Upscale Fast Growing Urban Townships
  1. Lower Macungie township 30,633
  2. Upper Macungie township 20,063
  3. Upper Saucon township 14,808
    Middle Class to Upper Class Townships
  4. Whitehall township 26,738
  5. South Whitehall township 19,180
  6. North Whitehall township 15,703
  7. Salisbury township 13,505
    Rural Townships (some very wealthy people)
  8. Upper Milford township 7,292
  9. Washington township 6,624
  10. Weisenberg township 4,923
  11. Lynn township 4,229
  12. Lower Milford township 3,775
  13. Heidelberg township 3,416
  14. Lowhill township 2,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
How long is the commute to bethlehem from the parkland and epsd areas?
Lower Saucon Township and Hellertown Borough in Northampton County has a good school district and is very close to Bethlehem

Where in Bethlehem will you be working?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Just an FYI, this thread was started in 2006. I'm hoping that the OP found what she wanted by now! ;-) Just checked her posts and it looked like the OP moved to Dallas.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley