Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am employed by a International company A, and been in the US on an L1-A visa on a long term project since July 2009.

Subtracting the time spent outside of the US I have 711 days remaining of the 7 years permitted on my L1-A

US company B has offered me permanent employment on the provision that they could obtain an appropriate visa and start processing my GC.

Question:
1) What are the steps that US Company B need to take
2) How long would that take and would I be permitted to remain in the US while this is being processed.

Thanks in advance.

Ron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM

62 posts, read 70,083 times
I think they need to file an H-1B work VISA, which is typically filled April 1st, and employment would start October 1st under that VISA, which is valid for three years and can be extended for another three years. It is submitted on April first because it is when the they open new allowance on the quota and they are usually filled in in the first days.

You would be allowed for three years, and could extend for another three (with no quota) and finally a last extension while (if) the green card is being processed. I it is a very important part to get an negotiated (written) agreement on the timeline of when they would start the GC before accepting the position, some will say that they want to wait the most they can, so they don't spend money and get the employee tied to the company. There is no legal need to wait three or six years to start, just the money issue since it is expensive process, it is like relocation that they may agree to a prospective candidate.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Thanks Gus,

The new company are filing for the H-1B, PERM and permanent residence immediately.

I have been working with this new company for the past 5.5 years, and intend staying with them - I offered to sign a contract with them for 3 to 5 years.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,488 times
If I may ask, why company A didn't sponsor your GC?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
If I may ask, why company A didn't sponsor your GC?
My current company would like to keep me employed and assigned in the UK (they have no current projects in the US), whereas I would like to work and reside in the US.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM

282 posts, read 444,541 times
Note that the time spent in L-1 status counts toward the 6 years' limit on the H-1B. Also, unless Company B is quota exempt, if your petition didn't get in the first week of April, you're out of luck for this year. If it did get in, well they received 230,000 applications for 85,000 slots. So the ones to fill the 85K spaces will be chosen by lottery, and the rest returned and must wait to try again next year.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Update:

My H-1B was submitted on 1 April 2015, but did not make the lottery.

My ETA Form 9089, Application for Permanent Employment was submitted to the Department of Labor on 8th Dec 2015.

DOL’s current PERM processing time is approximately 6 to 8 months.

My priority date is December 8th, 2015.

Hoping to have Advance Parole (travel and work authorisation) in the fall of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration