Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,607,184 times

Advertisements

Im planning on heading there tomorrow, its a 40 min trip from my house and I've never been there before

Besides the restaurant up there, is there anything else fun to do up there that I might like? I obviously cant snowboard because of this time of year, I cant nor afford to snowboard in the first place, even though there is still a bit of snow up there

So what else is there to do up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'm planning on heading there tomorrow, its a 40 min trip from my house and I've never been there before

Besides the restaurant up there, is there anything else fun to do up there that I might like? I obviously cant snowboard because of this time of year, I cant nor afford to snowboard in the first place, even though there is still a bit of snow up there

So what else is there to do up there?
Davie, it's mostly hiking. Are you going to Lee Canyon or Kyle Canyon, or both? You might want to just get acquainted with what's up there on your first trip. Kyle Canyon is the first turn-off you come to going up U.S. 95. At the top of that road is where you'll find the Mt. Charleston Lodge. Before you reach it you will pass the Mt. Charleston Hotel. The lodge is where most people head for. Just drive until you can't go any farther and you'll be there. At the very top the road makes an obvious split left and right; bear left towards the cabins you'll see and the lodge is right there. The road to the right goes into a picnic area. Just before that you'll see some restrooms and stairs leading up a bank to a trail head. That trail head will get you to various trails.

As far as hikes, there are many good ones, and even more websites that will guide you. Here's one: Charleston Peak & Spring Mountains Area Hiking - Hikes

For Floridians not used to high altitudes it's best to start easy. The most popular hikes are: 1. Cathedral Rock, 2. Mary Jane Falls, and 3. Bristlecone (which is at Lee Canyon). You might want to work up to hiking to the peak which is 18 miles round trip and very grueling going up. It's best done on an overnighter.

Lee Canyon is the second turn-off up U. S. 95 and is where the ski area is located. There is still snow but the ski resort is closed for the summer so you can't snowboard now if you wanted too. You probably could take an inner-tube and do some tubing at Lee Canyon. It's kind of hard to dress for that when it's 107º down here though.

You'll probably just want to explore for your first visit and stop at overlooks, etc. Just beyond the hotel is the junction of another road. That takes you over to another road which is the Lee Canyon Road. It makes a nice drive to see either Kyle or Lee Canyons first, then over to the other one and back to town.

Wish I could go with you but I'd just hold you back.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,578,619 times
lots of great hiking. I was up there last week. There was still snow.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,496,374 times
We will be in Las Vegas during July and August. My wife would love to go hiking but I finally got her to understand that hiking in the desert during the summer will kill you (she really enjoys a challenge). What is the weather and temperature like at Mt. Charleston like during July and August? Is it significantly cooler than Las Vegas and is hiking possible?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,792,496 times
Enjoy the cooler weather, that is what Mt. Charleston is best for this time of year.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,578,619 times
Mt. Charleston is 10-20 degrees cooler than vegas. The higher you go the cooler. So it's still entirely possible for it to be in the 80's or low 90's on those super hot days. Generally though if you just left the city when its 110 85 will feel great.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM

The best way to hike Mt. Charleston is to spend a night in the hotel, or a cabin at the Lodge, to get acclimated to the altitude, then take off very early in the morning up the trail before it gets hot. It still gets up to about 85º or so at the Lodge during the day. The higher you go the cooler it gets, but unless you are in great shape it's still a challenge. Because of the tremendous amount of energy you burn going up hill, it feels hotter than it is. If by doing some hiking you mean walking around a little bit, that's one thing. But if you mean trying to make the peak and back, or the entire loop, then you'd better be in really good shape, and be acclimated to extreme altitudes. There are plenty of easy hikes, but the big one is extremely difficult. Plan on one mile per hour going up the switchbacks. Five or six hours to the meadow at 10,000 feet unless you have long legs and are a runner. Then you would still have about four miles to go to the top with another steep climb at the end.

But it's worth every bit of it to stand on that peak at least once in your life.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We will be in Las Vegas during July and August. My wife would love to go hiking but I finally got her to understand that hiking in the desert during the summer will kill you (she really enjoys a challenge). What is the weather and temperature like at Mt. Charleston like during July and August? Is it significantly cooler than Las Vegas and is hiking possible?
It was at Death Valley which gets even hotter than it does in Las Vegas, but have read in the news on more than one occasion about bodies being found eight miles from their car. They always seem to make it for eight miles before they die. Had they just stayed put the rangers would have come by eventually and they would have had shade and maybe water.

Hiking in the desert in July and August is not recommended. That said, I've worked outside all day, I've run a few miles to stay in shape, and I've done a lot of walking in the heat. But it was always stupid.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 AM

208 posts, read 351,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post

I hiked it a year ago almost to the day. I left my car at 7a.m and was back to it by 3pm(...but i train for triathlons all year and hike a lot too). I wore shorts, a t-shirt and had a small day pack to carry water and sandwich's. I was very comfortable except for near the very peak...it was freezing. Probably would bring a windbreaker or warm hat or something if you want to enjoy the view...cause I spent about 30 seconds at the top, said "wow this is pretty..." and then practically ran for the tree line. But it was very warm most of the trip...so you gotta pick your poison. Just something else to watch for, I got a small dose of altitude sickness while up there. I felt fine but noticed my fingers were tingling...thought they were just cold so didnt pay any attention. finally looked at them at some point and they were all swelled up to twice their normal size...didnt bother me much, but I guess it can effect different people in different ways so you might want to briefly familiarize yourself with the possible symptoms in case you or your wife are susceptible to it. All in all a great hike and along with a night on Fremont (however you spell it) was the highlight of my trip to vegas.

I leave for a week in Chicago at noon today, and my stupid human trick for that city will be to try and run the sears tower stairs

Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,496,374 times
Thanks all, most helpful. Especially the info on the altitude difference. Did not realize the possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas