Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,067,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Break it up and bury it??? He said he wanted a pool. Why would anyone destroy something that costs more than $30,000 bucks to have installed?
that was a figure of speech... and in no way should that pool cost 30k,,,, closer to 18-20 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 PM

687 posts, read 4,409,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
that was a figure of speech... and in no way should that pool cost 30k,,,, closer to 18-20 .
Affraid I have to argue on that one. That same pool, 9 feet deep, would probably run well over $ 40,000.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,606,887 times
Quote:
Tiger is right. I put in a modest 6 ft deep, 30 feet by 18 foot pool that was about 42,000 two years ago.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
I'm closing on my new house next week. The pool "looks" okay, no cracks. It appears to be concrete (but then I know nothing about pools). The house was built in 1963 and I assume the pool is original.
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have it resurfaced/coated since it is empty and I hope to never have to empty it again. Then again, since the pool has no coating (that I can see), maybe adding a coating would be a bad idea.

I saw a similar house in another part of town (roughly the same age) where it was evident that the pool leaked into the ground, the yard smelled like sewage and the house foundation had serious problems (rising).
This house and yard show no signs of having had this type of problem and the "google map" photo shows the pool full as do the last sales listing photos (2007)

I'm a do-it-yourselfer and don't want to spend a lot of money. I had thought that I would give it a good power washing and maybe a scrub down with oxyclean (less toxic than TSP), and then just fill it.

Should I go ahead and just fill it as is once it's clean? I was thinking of having a couple of pool contractors look at it, but I don't want to waste money or have work done that I'll later regret (like bubbling paint).
I would be concerned. I only have 2 years of pool experience and I know that when we drain the pool we only leave it empty for a few hours to clean since we have been told that the weight of the water keeps the composition of the pool intact.

I would have someone knowledgeable about pool construction look at it.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 AM

98 posts, read 543,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I would be concerned. I only have 2 years of pool experience and I know that when we drain the pool we only leave it empty for a few hours to clean since we have been told that the weight of the water keeps the composition of the pool intact.

I would have someone knowledgeable about pool construction look at it.
I have heard that before in different parts of the country. I don't think it's "as" true in Las Vegas because of the dry, sandy soil pools don't tend to rise.

It is common practice in an REO for the bank to drain the pool. It takes several months from Foreclosure until they get the property closed and they don't want to have to deal with pool maintenance / cleaning.

Once the listing agent got the property she did some yard work and got someone to take care of the mail and keep the toilets and drains from drying out, but basically the property sat vacant for about 3 months.

Happily, the bank did not do any interior renovations. I have seen a lot of REOs where they slap on a new coat of paint and put down cheap floor tiles to mask a lot of defects.

The pool equipment all appears to be in fairly new condition and there is a brand new (huge) gas heater that the most recent owner had added, so I might just get lucky.

Since even the smallest pool starts at $20K and typically takes 2 months to complete, even if I end up spending $10K I'm way ahead!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
yes, it definitely looks like it needs work.. you should have had the inspection.. i think you are going to spend more than a "couple thousand" on the pool alone...probably closer to 5 or 6k.. how old is the equipment. you could always break it up and bury it
You Funny!
It would cost more to break it up and bury it that it would cost to repair even in the worst case!!!

Spending $6K to repair something that would have cost over $40K to build (and that I think of as a "must have") is still a bargain in my world!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
I have heard that before in different parts of the country. I don't think it's "as" true in Las Vegas because of the dry, sandy soil pools don't tend to rise.

It is common practice in an REO for the bank to drain the pool. It takes several months from Foreclosure until they get the property closed and they don't want to have to deal with pool maintenance / cleaning.

Once the listing agent got the property she did some yard work and got someone to take care of the mail and keep the toilets and drains from drying out, but basically the property sat vacant for about 3 months.

Happily, the bank did not do any interior renovations. I have seen a lot of REOs where they slap on a new coat of paint and put down cheap floor tiles to mask a lot of defects.

The pool equipment all appears to be in fairly new condition and there is a brand new (huge) gas heater that the most recent owner had added, so I might just get lucky.

Since even the smallest pool starts at $20K and typically takes 2 months to complete, even if I end up spending $10K I'm way ahead!
I agree the cement-like soil here is definitely different. I asked my husband and he said that the plaster can crack and dry out. So if the plaster is in good condition you are probably in good shape. Enjoy your pool. It certainly makes living through the summer in Vegas tolerable.

Oh, by the way...we have been told that you drain your pool every other year. It's not too bad. We have a pump that pumps that water through a hose into the clean out port.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
Personally, with my limited knowledge of geology, I would rather not take a $40k gamble on my prediction of the hydrostatic pressure in the soil after a heavy rain. I live on relatively high ground, so I know I'm pretty safe. But the guys at NPS warn people that live in low lying areas not to leave their pools empty if heavy rain or thunderstorms are forecast. I'd rather heed their warning than take a chance.

Maybe some of the long time residents can tell us if they've ever heard of anyone popping a shell out of the ground after a heavy rain, and whether their elevation was a factor.

Rules like "drain your pool every other year" are for people too dumb to understand simple concepts like total dissolved solids and stabilizer level.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,067,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Tiger is right. I put in a modest 6 ft deep, 30 feet by 18 foot pool that was about 42,000 two years ago.
mine is 34x24, beach entry, pebbletech, waterfalls, spa jets, pentair equip, and ALOT of cooldecking, heated with pentair heater.. cost just under 25k.. prices are nowhere near what they were 3yrs ago..

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
mine is 34x24, beach entry, pebbletech, waterfalls, spa jets, pentair equip, and ALOT of cooldecking, heated with pentair heater.. cost just under 25k.. prices are nowhere near what they were 3yrs ago..
That's great news! Hopefully my repairs will be less expensive as well. I was told by a neighbor that my pool would have cost over $40K to install.

I had given up hope of finding a house in my price range with a pool so I had budgeted over $10K for an nice above ground (with ground prep, wiring, plumbing, decking...).
The current equipment looks to be fairly new and there is a brand new gas heater.

Fingers crossed that I'll be swimming within 1 month of closing and have money left over...

I don't expect there will be any drenching rainstorms in Las Vegas over the next month, but it can't be good for the plaster to be exposed to that heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas