Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,412,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SO TRUE.

By the way, Buzz123 is my favorite poster on the Las Vegas forum, by far! Although tons of great posters on here.

I also strongly agree with this post as well. (I also think these kind of questions do come up with a troll-like frequency, so it is difficult to judge a person's intentions as legit or trollish, no disrespect to the original OP who seemed to be of the very well-intended variety).

I was just thinking....just in general...how many forums I've viewed where people talk about seeing a 'drug' in a school in NY or Miami or wherever, and than discourage all people from that city. I keep thinking how even my little town in MI where I went to school...only 30 graduating students...and I remember pot, shrooms, acid, mescaline, speed, etc....all being very popular with easy access. Whiskey was the preferred drink - which is interesting because as an adult I stay clear of hard alchol. WHY whiskey, you ask? Because all alcohol is for those who are 21-plus. So whiskey was easier to handle than a case of beer, and easier to conceal. Drugs were easier to get ahold of...and its all illegal anyways, so what difference does it make if it is beer or drugs anyways?...and there was LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Since its mostly young people in their peer groups...you seldom see the negative side of it, as it seems so 'cleaned up' from small town streets - its all 'in the house'. The people are doing the same things, one is just more hidden but just as existant as its rural, and one is all in the open as its urban.

Go to any large city, and you have more schools, extra classes, you can enroll your kids in karate, music classes, etc. They can see more city career-mindedness as opposed to just farmers and factory workers (like my hometown area of MI). They just SEE more...its hard to glamorize the 'drug addict' you see in a Hollywood movie...when you live in a real American city and see how scummy they are in real life.

I think any kid who is raised in a city has a much clearer and more realistic view of life and what it is, and what they need to do to live a good one.
I luv ya man.

Good post, even without the luvvvvv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,149 times
Buzz, I'm not a Las Vegan...I'm from Phx however, and have an uncle who lives in Henderson...I've stayed in vegas too many times to count so i think i have a good feel for the area. Obviously not quite as much as the locals. Anyways, i too think its a great place.

And after reading the multiple replies in this thread since i posted in page 1 i can see where you are coming from in your initial reply. Its great to see Las Vegan's or anyone for that matter have so much pride in their city

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,490,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
You do not need to apologize,you asked a normal question for someone who was considering coming to this town.Anyone with childern should ask the same question and be concerned about moving here....
Don't worry bmac, people don't care about anything negative pertaining to Las Vegas when they want to move here....you can try and discourage them till you're blue in the face, most people who want to live in Vegas, just don't care about anything "bad" you or anyone can will bring up.

And it's all relative to where you're coming from in your perspective and point in life...and people seeking information will understand that. No place on Earth is complete paradise...however...some places are much better than others. That's why Las Vegas grew in population so much, and I do think it's continuing to grow in residents.

Your status tells a lot about where your thoughts are, I wish you all the best of luck and hope you can get back to Long Guyland, if that's where you want to be. IMHO gawd awful place btw, Las Vegas is paradise compared to there, I have family "trapped" in both Nauseous and Suffolk Counties...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 AM

113 posts, read 306,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Don't worry bmac, people don't care about anything negative pertaining to Las Vegas when they want to move here....you can try and discourage them till you're blue in the face, most people who want to live in Vegas, just don't care about anything "bad" you or anyone can will bring up.

And it's all relative to where you're coming from in your perspective and point in life...and people seeking information will understand that. No place on Earth is complete paradise...however...some places are much better than others. That's why Las Vegas grew in population so much, and I do think it's continuing to grow in residents.

Your status tells a lot about where your thoughts are, I wish you all the best of luck and hope you can get back to Long Guyland, if that's where you want to be. IMHO gawd awful place btw, Las Vegas is paradise compared to there, I have family "trapped" in both Nauseous and Suffolk Counties...
My "status" really had nothing to do with my reply,I just thought the OP was being picked on for asking a question,isn't that why these boards are here in the first place ?As a parent I had the same concerns when I moved here,so I understand the question. BTW Thank-You for your kind thoughts...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
My "status" really had nothing to do with my reply,I just thought the OP was being picked on for asking a question,isn't that why these boards are here in the first place ?As a parent I had the same concerns when I moved here,so I understand the question. BTW Thank-You for your kind thoughts...
Well geez, I only read over all your posts in other forums and looked at your status, that's how I came to my conclusion. But hey, if you're happy here then I misread all your prior posts so I apologize for that. At least you agree with us locals who love it so much here!

and...you're welcome!!

I think the people here are the problem,give me the east coast anyday....
To each his own.....

That statement is great !!!!
The reason is that you sold your sole for sunshine 300 days a year...
it was a trade off,only you can decide if it was worth it or not...

The main reason(and the only real good one) I left the island was the weather,now I am roasting in 114 degrees,but at least its sunny !!!
But I do wish I could bring my daughter to the Levittown Roller Rink,and then Jahns afterwards...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

113 posts, read 306,766 times
I give you credit for doing your homework....but I think you looked to far into this one ...LOL
No matter where you live,if your are a parent you need to put the kids first,and I credit her for asking the right questions,instead of just doing what she wanted.Like you said,alot of people just come here to have fun,like its a full time vacation

Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SO TRUE.

By the way, Buzz123 is my favorite poster on the Las Vegas forum, by far! Although tons of great posters on here.

I also strongly agree with this post as well. (I also think these kind of questions do come up with a troll-like frequency, so it is difficult to judge a person's intentions as legit or trollish, no disrespect to the original OP who seemed to be of the very well-intended variety).

I was just thinking....just in general...how many forums I've viewed where people talk about seeing a 'drug' in a school in NY or Miami or wherever, and than discourage all people from that city. I keep thinking how even my little town in MI where I went to school...only 30 graduating students...and I remember pot, shrooms, acid, mescaline, speed, etc....all being very popular with easy access. Whiskey was the preferred drink - which is interesting because as an adult I stay clear of hard alchol. WHY whiskey, you ask? Because all alcohol is for those who are 21-plus. So whiskey was easier to handle than a case of beer, and easier to conceal. Drugs were easier to get ahold of...and its all illegal anyways, so what difference does it make if it is beer or drugs anyways?...and there was LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Since its mostly young people in their peer groups...you seldom see the negative side of it, as it seems so 'cleaned up' from small town streets - its all 'in the house'. The people are doing the same things, one is just more hidden but just as existant as its rural, and one is all in the open as its urban.

Go to any large city, and you have more schools, extra classes, you can enroll your kids in karate, music classes, etc. They can see more city career-mindedness as opposed to just farmers and factory workers (like my hometown area of MI). They just SEE more...its hard to glamorize the 'drug addict' you see in a Hollywood movie...when you live in a real American city and see how scummy they are in real life.

I think any kid who is raised in a city has a much clearer and more realistic view of life and what it is, and what they need to do to live a good one.
Couldn't have done better myself Tiger....good one!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I give you credit for doing your homework....but I think you looked to far into this one ...LOL
No matter where you live,if your are a parent you need to put the kids first,and I credit her for asking the right questions,instead of just doing what she wanted.Like you said,alot of people just come here to have fun,like its a full time vacation
Not really, but thanks for that anyways!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
...and, at least, we don't get sunburnt.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:24 AM

112 posts, read 316,735 times
Thanks Bmac for sticking up for me. I am not sorry I asked the question, I am only sorry they were offended by it. But some people would sooner band together to protect themselves from some imagined slight to their person than to try to give people perspective in a constructive manner. I never said the people were bad, I only wondered if it were the best of choices for my children, based on the fact that everything is open and out there. I never said things don't happen elsewhere. I never said crime and sex and drugs were exclusive to Las Vegas. I never said the people were bad by virtue of living there. I never said anyone was stupid or naive, either. I only asked if the people that lived there could tell me if I SHOULD be concerned about the in your face aspect of Las Vegas, from their experience.

They have good information to offer if people care to bother sifting through their insults and attitudes. A lot of what they say makes sense, and I have been helped by it because I did sift.

They want people to move there to bring up their property values. They don't care about the people and their kids. I know this. So thanks, I appreciate you! But I took what I needed from it and left the rest and you can too Hugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas