Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 AM

64 posts, read 180,699 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Las Vegas in July. We are going to move in to an e-smart house built in the Providence area and really like what we are seeing with that new part of the city. I will be working at Creech and my wife will be at Nellis so it's a good compromise between locations!

I just want to get an overall feel for that area. This is the area to which our house will be located. 7631 Houston Peak - Google Maps

We are shopping between 4 builders and think it's the best thing for us.

Feel free to tell me the good, the bad, whatever about the area.

Please stay away from the "Why don't you buy an older house" or "Why don't you buy a $400,000 house that is for sale at $200,000" questions.

Thanks everyone!

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBuford View Post
My wife and I are moving to Las Vegas in July. We are going to move in to an e-smart house built in the Providence area and really like what we are seeing with that new part of the city. I will be working at Creech and my wife will be at Nellis so it's a good compromise between locations!

I just want to get an overall feel for that area. This is the area to which our house will be located. 7631 Houston Peak - Google Maps

We are shopping between 4 builders and think it's the best thing for us.

Feel free to tell me the good, the bad, whatever about the area.

Please stay away from the "Why don't you buy an older house" or "Why don't you buy a $400,000 house that is for sale at $200,000" questions.

Thanks everyone!

Justin
Providence is a very nice community racked with uncertainty. Focus Group the primary developer is bankrupt and in very deep trouble. A number of the component developers are also financial distressed.

To the extent that you purchase within a mostly completed development you should be fine. However any parcel that is mostly undeveloped is suspect as to what will happen next.

Any Providence amenities that are not in and operating are suspect. As are school locations and such.

I also do not believe any of the operating developers in there can tell you what will happen except very locally. They simply don't know and have no control except within their local universe.

The sort of thing you worry about is that the tract next door suddenly goes to very high density town houses or apartments...even though it was supposed to be high end homes. And that does happen. And the school across the street is now rescheduled for 2025. There are even cases where individual lots are picked up by developers so that the house next door is entirely different from the rest of the tract.

The location of Providence is quite nice and will be very convenient for Creech or Nellis. I very much liked the master plan. Just no longer sure how much of it is still real.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 AM

That is depressing.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:57 AM

You obviously know alot about the area. What other communities are there in the north and northwest parts of Las Vegas that we can buy a house?

Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
You obviously know alot about the area. What other communities are there in the north and northwest parts of Las Vegas that we can buy a house?

Thanks!!
Aliante. Centennial, etc.....

Old 05-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Aliante. Centennial, etc.....
I'm aware of the used houses there.... not new.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
apparently you dont know that you can still get new homes too.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
apparently you dont know that you can still get new homes too.
I did not know that. Let me do some googling.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Quote:
Fine. We'll stay away from recommending that you buy an older home if you stay away from using an idiotic term like "used house" as if shopping for a home was similar to buying a car.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM

146 posts, read 529,373 times
Don't be depressed about Providence - like a poster said - find a community within Providence that is at least close to finishing.

While Focus Property (the developer) is in some trouble, their lenders have been working with them to keep them from defaulting. Providence has been gaining momentum and is one of the top ten selling communities in the nation (#5 or #6, right behind Mountains Edge, another Focus Property).

Vacant undeveloped lots at this point may be bought by other homebuilders to have inventory for when the recession picks up, but those that are developed and within communities will very likely remain unchanged.

Visit the community and find one that has a few lots left to be built on - that will be your best bet.

Parks and School locations might change, but that is only if people dont' come to the communities to make them have to build them. Just being optmistic. =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: