Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM

442 posts, read 965,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
This is going to make me look really stupid but I did not realize when you change states, you don't just transfer your driving license. Apparently I am going to have to retest again?

Yes, but if I am not mistaken it is open book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
I moved here a few years ago from out of state. I did not have to take a test. Just went to the DMV and applied. Got it the same day. Maybe rules have changed since them?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Never took a driving test since I was 18. But have taken the written a few times. If you miss one they send you back to re-read what you misunderstood, and you pass.

Years ago the DMV was on Sahara about where Fletcher Jones Toyota is now. You could park head in right in front of the door. I'll never forget seeing someone taking the driving test and backing out only to turn too hard and take the whole side of the car next to them off. The DMV guy just got out shaking his head and made them leave the car right where it was. I don't usually laugh at someone's misfortune, or the destruction of property, but in this case I burst a gut laughing.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 147,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srontgorrth View Post
So I got my license already from taking the written test over (had an IL one before), but my girlfriend is going to be taking the test on Friday at the E Sahara location, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or hints about what they deduct points on and what the autofails are.

She and I already read through this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...g-my-road.html

but it would be great if anyone else has some more examples.

When I moved out here, I had never learned to drive before so I took a couple of lessons with a driving school in the month or so before I took my road test at Sahara the first time (which I failed as you can see from that thread). From what I remember, they take you a little bit down Sahara and then have you turn into a residential area where you go through a school zone. Then a little bit more in the residential, back to Sahara, and back to the DMV.

Make sure when turning you turn into the correct lane. If a right turn, turn into the far right lane, if a 2 lane left turn lane, turn into the correct lane (far left for far left, middle for far right turning lane). I think it's an autofail if you take a lazy wide turn and end up in the middle lane when you should be on the far side. Also, use the parking lane to turn of of Sahara. Apparently there's all confusion over whether or not it's a turn lane or an extension of the parking lane, half the cops I asked said turn lane, the other half said parking lane. The DMV autofailed me for turning from the rightmost non-parking lane and refused to hear any other explanation. Also, when you go through the school zone, the sign may say "15 MPH When Children Are Present". If you see a child and slow down to 15, verbally point it out to the tester. They didn't see a child playing on their lawn that I saw and were going to deduct points for that on my test too, even though they were wrong.

My driving school instructor had told me that Sahara fails the most people out of all the DMVs by a wide margin. If your gf has trouble at this test, have her retest at the Henderson DMV. Testers aren't looking for reasons to fail you and the streets are less congested. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM

442 posts, read 965,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Never took a driving test since I was 18. But have taken the written a few times. If you miss one they send you back to re-read what you misunderstood, and you pass.

Years ago the DMV was on Sahara about where Fletcher Jones Toyota is now. You could park head in right in front of the door. I'll never forget seeing someone taking the driving test and backing out only to turn too hard and take the whole side of the car next to them off. The DMV guy just got out shaking his head and made them leave the car right where it was. I don't usually laugh at someone's misfortune, or the destruction of property, but in this case I burst a gut laughing.
OMG you made me think of Jones...check this out..after I finished college I got a job at UMC in the ER, guess who came in with a toliet seat stuck to his arse??? YEP it was the old man himself It was a standing joke for about 4 years.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 29,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
This is going to make me look really stupid but I did not realize when you change states, you don't just transfer your driving license. Apparently I am going to have to retest again?

And Okiedokie, the rule about turning corners is easy if you remember you always stay in the same lane you were in before you turned the corner. It's not cool to make the turn and then at that point, decide to choose another lane.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with age. Anyone 18-21 has to take the written test in order to get an NV license, but I think if you're older then 21 you should switch it out essentially.

And thanks for the responses everyone!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
OMG you made me think of Jones...check this out..after I finished college I got a job at UMC in the ER, guess who came in with a toilet seat stuck to his arse??? YEP it was the old man himself It was a standing joke for about 4 years.
Not the story I've heard for many years. In the original version he was alleged to have had a flashlight up his you know what. He was allegedly brought in by a rather well known local broadcaster. There are a lot of Fletcher Jones, Sr. stories. Especially about his, shall we say, frugality?

Jack Biegger, who just passed away, was Fletcher's partner. He once told me about the time Fletcher went to see Harrah's car collection in Sparks, NV. After he paid he was going in and saw a sign about discounts for seniors. He sent the guy he was with back to get a refund of the discount which amounted to maybe 50 cents. Fletcher was a multi-millionaire.

Fletcher had dark, sort of black, hair, at least in public. I started turning gray at age 13. When we moved to Las Vegas my then wife was a hairdresser, and she talked me into dying my hair back to black "since nobody here knew me". Fletcher would tell me how to mix Lady Clairol bottles to get the right shade.

He was always a source of entertainment, but I've always suspected that the emergency room story was urban legend.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 42,623 times
I heard they try and trick you and when you get there they tell you to go start up the engine and they stay outside the car to check the lights and such and if you start up the engine before putting on your seat belt they fail you immediatley!!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
In many states all you have to do is just transfer.

Nevada DMV New Resident Guide

Old 05-03-2010, 04:16 AM

113 posts, read 328,456 times
it is unfortunate that i read this thread too late for your appointment last friday. i have been there on sahara a few times with my daughter while she was trying to pass her driving test. she is 16. she has been driving with her permit, a lot, and i think she has good instincts and reactions while driving. we live in henderson, but always the fastest appointment times were at the sahara dmv branch.

the first thing on the test was checking lights, horns, turn signals etc. then they went out to their parallel parking area - which is not cars, but barrels. this is open for practice after hours. plenty of room, but that was her first fail. the school zones in that part of town are different than here in henderson, as the signs say 'when children are present'. that means one boy failed because he slowed thinking it was a school zone, but no kids were around. also, there are no right turn lanes around there, it just looks like it. don't use the lanes that look like turn lanes. auto fail. just have patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas