Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 PM

18 posts, read 148,019 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a relatively new (~2 months) Vegas resident who comes from NYC. Because of the public transportation system there, I had never needed a car/license, so I never learned how to drive. Since moving out here, that is no longer an option. So last month I read the booklet and went to the DMV and passed the knowledge/written portion of the driver's test. I am scheduled to take the road portion of the test in about a week at the Sahara DMV. I have taken a few lessons with a driving school to try to prepare and was warned that Sahara fails more test takers than all of the other DMVs so I feel like I already have one strike against me. Has anyone taken the road test in recent memory at Sahara and passed? If so, could you give me a brief rundown of what the actual road test consisted of? I'd like to get any/all information available to help prepare for this. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,567 times
I hope you practice often. Do you already own a car? I think the most nerve racking part of any driving test is having someone watch your every move. You need to be comfortable behind the wheel because nervousness causes mistakes.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 PM

638 posts, read 2,245,451 times
I hear the road test is difficult at ALL of the DMVs in Las Vegas. They usually get you on an automatic failure. I had a friend recently who was in a similar situation as you, came from NYC and never needed a license. He failed because another motorist gave him a wave to go at a four way stop. He went and they failed him right there on the spot because he did not have the right of way. I have been driving for years and years and years and I think if I had to take a road test today I would probably fail because of all of the bad habits I have picked up.

Sorry I don't have any advice. Just keep practicing and if you fail, you can always keep taking the test until you pass. I don't think choosing a specific DMV will matter because they all grade on the same criteria. The only thing that might help is to find a DMV that is not in a dense area. The surrounding traffic might be lighter.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,692,005 times
i took the test at West Flamingo, i had a really easy driving tester, she let me slide on a couple of things, maybe that's a bad thing for some but i was glad i didn't get the guy who was boasting that he only passed one person that day and that was at 4 PM...the course for West Flamingo is a little difficult, you have to know your stuff, they take you through the Lakes and you have to go through roundabouts, they also take you through streets that go from 3 lanes down to 1...

Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 AM

66 posts, read 255,814 times
When we moved here from England I had to take my US drivers tests, I went to the DMV on N. Decatur. The area around the DMV there is mainly residentual, it was very quite I basically drove around the block, came back to the DMV and did a parallel park and that completed my test. I haven't been to the DMV on Sahara but from what I hear it can get very busy. Sorry I don't have any advice but I wish you luck with you driving test.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 148,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVegasGuy View Post
Hello all,

I am a relatively new (~2 months) Vegas resident who comes from NYC. Because of the public transportation system there, I had never needed a car/license, so I never learned how to drive. Since moving out here, that is no longer an option. So last month I read the booklet and went to the DMV and passed the knowledge/written portion of the driver's test. I am scheduled to take the road portion of the test in about a week at the Sahara DMV. I have taken a few lessons with a driving school to try to prepare and was warned that Sahara fails more test takers than all of the other DMVs so I feel like I already have one strike against me. Has anyone taken the road test in recent memory at Sahara and passed? If so, could you give me a brief rundown of what the actual road test consisted of? I'd like to get any/all information available to help prepare for this. Thanks in advance!
As an update to this, I failed. I did great on everything, but autofailed because the laws are unclear on something. The test was at the Sahara DMV. After parallel parking, we turned on to Sahara. I was told to make a right turn at the next light. Sahara is set up there with 3 traffic lanes and a parking lane to the right, delineated with a solid white line, showing that you can't merge over it. Anyway, about 40 feet before the corner, the white line stops and then starts again 10 feet later, to allow people to enter/exit a 7-11 parking lot. I made a right from the rightmost lane that wasn't the parking lane, as I was told before the test by my instructor that turning from the parking lane was illegal (everyone does it, but it's technically not legal, so DMV can and will fail you for using it). Autofail.

The only other thing I was deducted for, I still think I'm right on. We were in a residential neighborhood w/ 25 mph speed limit. We came upon a school zone sign that said "15 mph when children are present". A 3/4 year old was playing on his front lawn, 10/15 feet from the street, so I slowed to 15 mph. I was told after the test that that would have autofailed me, too. Apparently "children" means students on the sidewalk or streets, not toddler/small children on their front lawns. BS.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
Try it again at the North Las Vegas DMV on Decatur.
But re-read the manual again first. It sounds like your instructor was having a bad day and were not being helpful at all. Maybe you will get lucky and get a more friendly one at a different location.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,717,095 times
I think the N. Decatur is the best place since there isn't a lot of traffic around there compared to E. Sahara.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,953,013 times
I don't get it. If it is illegal to turn from the parking lane and you turned from the rightmost lane-why did you fail? Seems you did the right thing. What am I missing?

Glad I took my test in MI. It was a breeze and I had to pump my bad brakes and manually flip the blinker switch. POS Vega.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
that break in the white line signaled the end of the parking lane and the beginning of the turn lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas