Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 78,249 times

Advertisements

Hey all, i'm having my car shipped from ohio to vegas and was wondering if any of you have recommendations on tipping etiquitte and what amount if anything the driver should be tipped?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM

232 posts, read 676,301 times
I can't remember what I tipped when I had my car shipped from FL to Vegas. I think it was somewhere around $50 (we had 2 cars). But I tipped him BEFORE I noticed damage to the door. So before you tip, be careful to inspect every last inch of the car. I wouldn't have tipped him anything if I had noticed the damage before hand. My fault for not paying attention.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
tipping? most likely you won't have the same driver that picks up and then drops off... but then again.. cleveland to vegas transport is so cheap right now.. it ain't gonna hurt to tip.. its under 600

Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 AM

88 posts, read 258,129 times
I'd say $20-$100 depending on # of vehicles, distance, and how easy they made things (deliver on time, in right location, etc.)

Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
tipping? most likely you won't have the same driver that picks up and then drops off... but then again.. cleveland to vegas transport is so cheap right now.. it ain't gonna hurt to tip.. its under 600
I don't know whether it was unusual or not, but the same person who picked up my car in D.C. also was the driver who delivered it to me in Vegas five days later.

As this was the first time that I'd ever had a car shipped, I had no idea what the usual tipping protocol was. I ended up giving him a fifty on top of the cashier's check for $1100 and change made out to the company. (I might have tipped more, but he had told me he would deliver the car on the Wednesday night that I flew to Vegas, but he didn't arrive until Friday afternoon. Still, that was well within the delivery range that the carrier had promised.)

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,691 times
I have never tipped them. Now I feel bad.
I'll remember this for next time.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM

232 posts, read 676,301 times
The same driver who picked up my cars also delivered them to me. Odd guy...reminded me of Russian mafia or something.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
my boss had his brand spankin new Caddiliac shipped from here to NJ in 1979....3 days after he took delivery of it he had transmission problems....took it to the dealer....it had a VERY old VERY high mileage transmission in place of the new one....and no way to prove what happened.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM

19 posts, read 164,529 times
As a former auto transport driver I can count on one hand the number of times I've been tipped for delivering cars cross country. I was very communicative, and very prompt.

Firstly, I would say the guy who picks up the vehicle should be the same guy who drops it off -even if it goes cross country. Otherwise it just takes too long.

Secondly, try to stick with brokers or carriers who deal strictly with smaller companies. These guys are usually owner-operators (versus company drivers) and they typically take better care of their equipment and their customers.

Lastly, if you have received good service, and great communication, a modest tip ($10-$20) is reasonable so the driver can get a decent meal. I would, however, split the tip up and pay the driver a portion at pick-up and a portion at delivery. It has the dual effect of rewarding a prompt and orderly pick-up, while also reinforcing the behavior for the next leg of the trip.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 AM

139 posts, read 458,439 times
Why is everybody so tip-happy in vegas?

I'm curious if anybody here has tipped a doctor/surgeon after a medical procedure?

How many strippers give the doc a $50 after getting a new set of DD's? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

(And these are people who understand tipping)

I would say a proper, natural looking breast enhancement procedure without any complications is more deserving of a tip than giving the valet $5 to walk a few yards to start the engine on your Escalade...

How about tipping the cops for doing a good job - after they pull you over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas