Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Mountain State, West by god Virginia, so hills mean nuttin. That's why we WV Mountaineers have one leg shorter than the other.

I agree that the Grand Canyon is so ...well, grand...that it is worth getting up early and driving five hours to see. Teddy Roosevelt said every American should see it and he was right. It's a shame that you hear more foreign languages spoken there than English.

That said, I have another suggestion for anyone wanting to do a day trip, especially at this time of year ─ Death Valley. It may be a little too early, but in spring Death Valley is spectacular when we've had a lot of recent rain. If you can make it all the way to Scotty's Caste and take the tour of that you won't regret it. Then come back through the Valley, with a side trip to Stovepipe Wells and the sand dunes.

See the pix I posted under the "Spring Has Sprung" thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
I am 60 years old. We made the Vegas/Dam/Canyon trip 4 years ago, so I still wasn't an impressionable young'un.

I was speachless! I am still in awe. I want to go back. I am petrified of heights and I am the main driver, so we took the long way - we did not go across the damn Dam - and that's before that new skybridge (OMG, no way!). I think that taking the longer way actually made getting to the Canyon and looking out even more impressive. The trip was something - I kept waiting for some skinny high in the sky bridge across a chasm that would have ended our trip - yes, I would have turned around. The emotions were running high the entire trip - hanging off in space (it seemed), skinny spaces on spines of mountains and around every curve - we saw another mountain, we saw another mountain. I thought I was the bear! My husband and I had some incredible conversations about how it must have been for the settlers in their wagons. Up, up, and up. Higher and higher and just when you thought you were as high as you could go, and you reached the top, DAMN, there was another mountain. It felt like driving into outer space.

When we finally reached the canyon town, it was AFTER lunch time - and there was a McDonald's and touristy crap stuff! ICK! But the sun was shining and we weren't stopping for anything! We made it! We pushed on, through the gate and onto NPS land, following traffic (hey, 1 other car is traffic out there!) and there was a parking space - we stopped, my husband jumped out and ran to the lookout, I inched over towards where he had run and there he was hanging over the edge! I grabbed a tree and held on, afraid to watch him fall! But I slowly let go and inched closer and then I looked - and cried! Awe. No words. Breathtaking. Beautiful doesn't say enough.

Then we had a very late lunch and still didn't speak. Just held hands.

If you haven't gone, go. Don't die without having gone.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am 60 years old. We made the Vegas/Dam/Canyon trip 4 years ago, so I still wasn't an impressionable young'un.

I was speachless! I am still in awe. I want to go back. I am petrified of heights and I am the main driver, so we took the long way - we did not go across the damn Dam - and that's before that new skybridge (OMG, no way!). I think that taking the longer way actually made getting to the Canyon and looking out even more impressive. The trip was something - I kept waiting for some skinny high in the sky bridge across a chasm that would have ended our trip - yes, I would have turned around. The emotions were running high the entire trip - hanging off in space (it seemed), skinny spaces on spines of mountains and around every curve - we saw another mountain, we saw another mountain. I thought I was the bear! My husband and I had some incredible conversations about how it must have been for the settlers in their wagons. Up, up, and up. Higher and higher and just when you thought you were as high as you could go, and you reached the top, DAMN, there was another mountain. It felt like driving into outer space.

When we finally reached the canyon town, it was AFTER lunch time - and there was a McDonald's and touristy crap stuff! ICK! But the sun was shining and we weren't stopping for anything! We made it! We pushed on, through the gate and onto NPS land, following traffic (hey, 1 other car is traffic out there!) and there was a parking space - we stopped, my husband jumped out and ran to the lookout, I inched over towards where he had run and there he was hanging over the edge! I grabbed a tree and held on, afraid to watch him fall! But I slowly let go and inched closer and then I looked - and cried! Awe. No words. Breathtaking. Beautiful doesn't say enough.

Then we had a very late lunch and still didn't speak. Just held hands.

If you haven't gone, go. Don't die without having gone.

Kinda like us small town touristas are when we get up on top of the Empire State Building.....

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

In all the years I've lived here in the west, spending time at famous and not so famous, but many, many fantastically beautiful spots, my wife and I see the Grand Canyon as the number one place to see, followed almost neck and neck with Yellowstone National Park, and Yosemite NP. We've done hikes in all three that I'll never forget, including to the bottom of the Big Ditch where we spent the night at Phantom Ranch. But for general hiking and ease of reach, plus incredible scenery, we like Zion NP best.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldwinger View Post
True, how about those two between Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley and Lone Pine?
Is that the one where Sears did the battery commercial showing how they work in extreme cold?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Evans View Post
It will be our first upcoming Las Vegas trip. We plan to spend time exploring the Grand Canyon, too. Alas! Internet has few details on the Grand Canyon drive by our own car. Says, "five hours." Is that round trip? How is Boulder City to say in, which looks like the nearest city to the GC.

Any suggestions to staying in Las Vegas. We want to be near the Convention Center. We arrive Wednesday and only want to do Vegas per se for two days, then off to the natural wonders like the Grand Canyon.

So please, some advice, folks. Thanks!
So, Hal, now that you've heard our opinions, will you be going to the Cañon Grande?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
if yu do a LONG day and don'tplan any hikes....you can do ZION, BRYCE and CEDAR BREAKS.....but it's kinds like a bus tour of Europe.....Still better then jot seeing it.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMlost12 View Post
Can you do a day trip from Las Vegas to Bryce or Zion. Also is it worth trip if you only have a few hours?
How many is a few? It takes 3 to 3½ hours minimum to get to Zion. Bryce is about another hour or 1½. Zion is a nice day trip if you have a whole day. If you only have a few hours, go out to Red Rock Canyon, or maybe even Valley of Fire (not to be confused with the Valley of Fires in New Mexico). Nevada Division of State Parks - Valley of Fire State Park

If your time is limited, and you can't make it to Zion NP, maybe you can at least go as far as St. George, Utah, and check out the town and Snow Canyon. Utah is arguably the most beautiful state (and being from WV don't think that's not hard to admit.) St. George is under two hours from Las Vegas. Utah State Parks

Driving Directions from Las Vegas, Nevada to Saint George, Utah

If you do go to Zion, when you pass through Hurricane, UT, you'll see a high cliff on your right. Look up then down. That is the spot where that famous internet picture was taken of the luckiest guy in the world. His truck jumped the guardrail at the top, over a culvert depression in the bank, and faced the opposite direction...right on the edge of a cliff that has to be 500 feet or more. Certain death if he had gone off the edge.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1267937009
Attached Thumbnails
Please Advis. Our First Las Vegas Trip. Want to See Grand Canyon, too.-culvert003sm.jpg  

Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMlost12 View Post
Thank you so much, great information. I meant that I have a day to kill but since it is a 3 hour drive each way I would like to take a short hike for an hour or 2.
Then go to Zion. Why spend ten hours or more driving for a quick look from a couple of viewpoints, and a stop at the visitor's center? If you could schedule an overnight trip I'd say Grand Canyon for sure. But the drive to Zion is very, very scenic, and the canyon is spectacular, and there is actually more to do both there and along the way. There are a zillion nice hikes there for all levels of ability and time constraints too. I haven't looked at the shuttle schedule lately. You may be able to drive into the canyon at this time of year, but be prepared to park in Springdale and take the shuttle. It's no big deal, and kind of a pleasure.

If you want to drive less and hike more, go to the Valley of Fire or Red Rock Canyon. Wherever you go the scenery is spectacular. Take a good camera and plenty of water. I forget when you're coming, but FYI, it is supposed to get up to 80º by this time next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas