Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM

112 posts, read 224,844 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any help. I just recently bought a home here and need to change my plates from another state and get a new license. I planned on taking care of that tomorrow before I leave town. Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead very well (my own fault!); got busy with the move. Now, a sudden business trip has me out of town from Wednesday until the 15th...

Problem 1 - My current tags from my old state expire at midnight on 2/14. I HAVE to get new plates tomorrow before I leave.

Problem 2 - I think I need a valid license to fly. I didn't know about the central issuance thing with the driver's license. I'm scared that if I go ahead and get a new license tomorrow, I'll be totally screwed at the airport. I have 4 airports to deal with (LV, Tampa, Atlanta, and Dallas) and I don't want to get stranded due to having a hole punched in my expiration date.

So, has anyone had any experience with this? Can I register the car without obtaining a license tomorrow? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Eeek. I don't know what to tell you. You can't receive a license at the DMV any longer as they are now mailed, so forget about a new license.

I don't know if Nevada can fine you if your other state's registration is allowed to expire. I would be first in line at the DMV.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Well, the unknown, and relevant piece of data is knowing whether punching out the date on the license means that the ID no longer has an expiration date. This topic was discussed in a couple threads on flyertalk.com and several people mentioned that the requirement is for a government-issued ID with an expiration date, but it was ok if the expiration date had passed. But the big problem is that no matter what the official TSA rule is, what matters is what individual agents at each airport think the rule is.

Can I travel with my expired drivers license as ID? - FlyerTalk Forums

The TSA requirements are here. If you think you're ok, print them out and bring them with you (not that you can argue logic with a TSA agent).

TSA: ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

You should get a passport when you can. I use mine for domestic flights just because it's easier than getting my drivers license out of my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas