Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 AM

177 posts, read 582,495 times

Advertisements

I think I spelled nearbye wrong? by? Hey, I'm taking a travel nurse job in Vegas the end of this month or early in the New Year. We may make this our permanent home if we like it, as my boyfriend's parents live only 2 hours away. We currently live in Missouri. I'm wanting to do some research on some of the coolest small towns/villages very close to Vegas but not running together with (not a suburb, with distinct physical seperation so you can actually like know people, ect.)
Some things I would look for would be artistic little town with open minded people ... cool stuff, cozy vibe, well kept, and real close to Vegas strip!
Any suggestions .. if so please tell me why you suggest it!
Thanks =)

Last edited by Melissa E; 12-05-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I think I spelled nearbye wrong?
"Nearby"

Check out Boulder City, between LV and Lake Mead.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Lol, do you ever just go blank and forget little words like that!? Ok, thanks. I'll look into Boulder City.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Boulder City is a nice place. It is as hot as Vegas.

There are no other cities around Las Vegas easily commutable. Pahrump is about 50 miles and perhaps a little cooler...but a tough commute.

You can live on Mt Charleston or in Cold Creek. Both are tiny and expensive but at an altitude considerably cooler than LV. Both are long but not impossible commutes.

Basically it does not work out in LV. You pretty much have to live in the City. Ain't go no real suburbs.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

50 miles is getting a little far. Thanks for the info =).

Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM

123 posts, read 271,422 times
I go blank often here....feel at home...its on me.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I think I spelled nearbye wrong? by? Hey, I'm taking a travel nurse job in Vegas the end of this month or early in the New Year. We may make this our permanent home if we like it, as my boyfriend's parents live only 2 hours away. We currently live in Missouri. I'm wanting to do some research on some of the coolest small towns/villages very close to Vegas but not running together with (not a suburb, with distinct physical seperation so you can actually like know people, ect.)
Some things I would look for would be artistic little town with open minded people ... cool stuff, cozy vibe, well kept, and real close to Vegas strip!
Any suggestions .. if so please tell me why you suggest it!
Thanks =)
The answer to that is none. We are in the middle of the desert and Las Vegas is landlocked...it's like an island in a ocean of arid desert. Not really a sea of sand... but sort of. There is some life in the desert, but almost no trees, and it's all out in the open where you can see it...not blocked by hills, and woods, and streams, and farms, and cute little towns like you're used to seeing. Nevada, as most of the west, is not made up of a lot of small towns every couple of miles as are the eastern, southern, and midwestern states. Las Vegas is actually a metropolitan area of three cities and some unincorporated communities we refer to only as "the county". It appears as one big city without any kind of separation, and we're all alone with no towns nearby.

Pahrump is actually 65 miles from Las Vegas. With 25,000 people, it is the population seat of Nye County, which is the third largest county in the country at 18,000 square miles, and just about the least populated. The county seat of Nye County, and the only other real town, is 167 miles from Pahrump, and only has about 2600 people.

North of Las Vegas there are a couple of other very small farming communities about 50 or 60 miles from here, but not really what you're asking about. You'd better wait until you get here, because you won't have any reality on the west until you do. It's way different than the states east of the Rockies. If you look at the map of Nevada you will see places listed on it...that's all they are...places. Not really towns. Some that look like there might be a town may be just a ranch or a mine. In places you can go 100 miles in Nevada without passing another car, or seeing a town or gas station.

If you can imagine this, Las Vegas is in Clark County, one of the largest counties in the U.S., with over 8,000 square miles. That's the size of many eastern states, and larger than a couple of them. The county population is 2 million. Almost everyone of the 2 million live in Las Vegas. The only other population center is in Reno, 440 miles north of here, with about 250,000 people. The state is 110,000 square miles which is more than 12 times the size of Vermont. Missouri is fairly large compared to most states back there. Imagine an area 1½ times the size of Missouri with almost no one in it, and maybe 1/8th the vegetation, hardly any water, and mountains over two miles high surrounded by barren desert, and you can see how empty everything else is here. The small towns you're asking about don't exist anywhere in the state.

The whole state of Nevada is "open minded". Live and let live is our motto and is why everyone wants to come here. But if you come to here you will have to live in the city.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Boulder City is a nice place. It is as hot as Vegas.

There are no other cities around Las Vegas easily commutable. Pahrump is about 50 miles and perhaps a little cooler...but a tough commute.

You can live on Mt Charleston or in Cold Creek. Both are tiny and expensive but at an altitude considerably cooler than LV.
I don't believe that the OP's inquiry seeking "cool" villages/towns had anything to do with climate.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM

23 posts, read 68,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The answer to that is none. We are in the middle of the desert and Las Vegas is landlocked...it's like an island in a ocean of arid desert. Not really a sea of sand... but sort of. There is some life in the desert, but almost no trees, and it's all out in the open where you can see it...not blocked by hills, and woods, and streams, and farms, and cute little towns like you're used to seeing. Nevada, as most of the west, is not made up of a lot of small towns every couple of miles as are the eastern, southern, and midwestern states. Las Vegas is actually a metropolitan area of three cities and some unincorporated communities we refer to only as "the county". It appears as one big city without any kind of separation, and we're all alone with no towns nearby.

Pahrump is actually 65 miles from Las Vegas. With 25,000 people, it is the population seat of Nye County, which is the third largest county in the country at 18,000 square miles, and just about the least populated. The county seat of Nye County, and the only other real town, is 167 miles from Pahrump, and only has about 2600 people.

North of Las Vegas there are a couple of other very small farming communities about 50 or 60 miles from here, but not really what you're asking about. You'd better wait until you get here, because you won't have any reality on the west until you do. It's way different than the states east of the Rockies. If you look at the map of Nevada you will see places listed on it...that's all they are...places. Not really towns. Some that look like there might be a town may be just a ranch or a mine. In places you can go 100 miles in Nevada without passing another car, or seeing a town or gas station.

If you can imagine this, Las Vegas is in Clark County, one of the largest counties in the U.S., with over 8,000 square miles. That's the size of many eastern states, and larger than a couple of them. The county population is 2 million. Almost everyone of the 2 million live in Las Vegas. The only other population center is in Reno, 440 miles north of here, with about 250,000 people. The state is 110,000 square miles which is more than 12 times the size of Vermont. Missouri is fairly large compared to most states back there. Imagine an area 1½ times the size of Missouri with almost no one in it, and maybe 1/8th the vegetation, hardly any water, and mountains over two miles high surrounded by barren desert, and you can see how empty everything else is here. The small towns you're asking about don't exist anywhere in the state.

The whole state of Nevada is "open minded". Live and let live is our motto and is why everyone wants to come here. But if you come to here you will have to live in the city.
I've been lurking and I have to say this is a GREAT post about Nevada. We're dreaming of Nevada and in doing research I was shocked at how few people lived in all that space. I'm in Wisconsin and we have little towns, farms with lights, a zillion cows in any direction. Until we visited the desert and drove from Phoenix to Vegas I had no idea that it could be SO dark in the middle of the night. It was beautiful!

I'm dreaming of the desert someday.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't believe that the OP's inquiry seeking "cool" villages/towns had anything to do with climate.

Agreed...got too literal on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas