Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a Montessori school in Vegas...and much about it?

I've heard of them, but my knowledge of them is fairly limited...

I'm also a bit curious, unrelatedly, how home schooling works, and particularly how it works in Nevada...

Basically I got a son, and I'm thinking of moving to Nevada after Japan, but trying to figure out the small logistics of it all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 AM

58 posts, read 141,910 times
We homeschool and we're moving to Vegas. We have been looking at the Vegas Montessori school website and it looks great. We're going to go in and check it out since it's important that our child makes friends in the new area. I suggest checking it out. We're teachers and we aren't going to let them know we are because it seems that teachers speak teacher language to other teachers and we want to just hear what they tell regular parents. Also, there are a lot of homeschool groups in LV so we're going to check them out as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 AM

109 posts, read 312,103 times
My daughter is home schooled with Nevada Virtual Academy. She is in 8th grade and completed a semester of algebra in one month. Your child can work at his or her own pace . There is parent involvement. Basically this is a charter school .

Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
lasbagman - can you tell me more about the virtual academy?

We are arriving in August and that is my fall-back plan for my rising 6th grader if the zoned school is bad. It might be for just a year b/c I am going to put him in the magnet lottery for the following year and will also have time to look at other schools and zoning variance options. I don't think I would be able to homeschool beyond that first year due to logistical constraints, but it is an option for 6th grade for him.

Curious about - do they have field trips/gatherings/stuff like science fair? Mine is in band and wants to continue - do they allow for kids to go do extracurriculars like band at the zoned school? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Curious about - do they have field trips/gatherings/stuff like science fair? Mine is in band and wants to continue - do they allow for kids to go do extracurriculars like band at the zoned school? Thanks.
You can home school for the academics and enroll your kid(s) in a public school for the extra-curricular activities, such as band. My understanding is that as long as there's room in the class/activity for additional students, by law, they have to accept them. My girlfriend would know much more about this, as she deals with the administrative aspects of home schooling her kids.

But as a direct answer to your question, yes, many home school groups do have gatherings, field trips, etc. The charter schools also have them - you just have to look at the many options out there (and there are a lot here in LV) and decide which one to go with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas