Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,083 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are both planning on investing in a Las Vegas area home for potential long term gains (5-10 years).

Both of us have lived in the area and know it somewhat. I live in Chicago and she currently resides out of state, so I'm asking the members of this forum where *they think* the best long term potential in the area is.

Some info:

- We'll for sure have one renter and the other investor living in the property. I work in Chicago but will be there several times a year.

- Semi partial to the NW, but open to anything once we see it.

- $300,000 cap

- Schools don't really matter to us, but realize that it will in 5-10 (or however long) years for resale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinGFK View Post
A friend and I are both planning on investing in a Las Vegas area home for potential long term gains (5-10 years).

Both of us have lived in the area and know it somewhat. I live in Chicago and she currently resides out of state, so I'm asking the members of this forum where *they think* the best long term potential in the area is.

Some info:

- We'll for sure have one renter and the other investor living in the property. I work in Chicago but will be there several times a year.

- $300,000 cap

- Schools don't really matter to us, but realize that it will in 5-10 (or however long) years for resale.

Thanks
It's going to take a really long time for Las Vegas homes to regain substantial value. We'll NEVER see the population/growth boom as in years past. At least I hope we don't ever go through that again.

If I were you, I'd look at Texas to buy an investment home. Lately, all media stories coming out are about how the economic slide has not affected cities like Austin, Dallas and Houston, and in fact, people are migrating to those cities where there are jobs.

Where jobs are: The U-haul Indicator - MSN Money

I wouldn't invest in Las Vegas real estate, even for the long haul.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Vegas investment strategy? I suggest half on black, the rest evenly divided on the digits in your birthday.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
Best investment Long Term?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, education.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:36 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinGFK View Post

Some info:

- $300,000 cap

Thanks
There are some area's that will rebound sooner, like the Summerlin and Henderson area, the nw is a nice area, they could take longer. It's good your in for the long term, if you purchase anything right now thinking your going to flip in 5 to 10 years you should be okay depending on the home and location. That goes without saying, the problem is the unemployment. Right now it's 13% the experts are saying we could go as high as 14 or 15%.

Bigger homes are the thing of the past most buyers now want smaller homes, the age of the baby boomers wanting the bigger the better has run it's course.

The new generation is much more conservative, also maintenance on a smaller home is much less as well as the utilities. Also HOA fees some neighborhoods you could end up with more than one on a home, such as in the Master planned community of Summerlin there is a summerlin fee and then the community with in Summerlin will have a HOA fee.

Also there could be an additional sid/lid fee( special improvement fee) this is a fee for infrastructure that was put in at the time the homes were built these additional fees can find in some parts of the city of Henderson there is a separate Henderson fee along with the community fee you purchase in.
Vegas will rebound, no one really knows when non of the experts can seem to agree.
Best of luck in your search.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlenny31 View Post
I have lived in Las Vegas for 12 years and own 2 investment properties. I am looking to form partnerships to buy/renovate/and rent distressed properties. I can demonstrate how anyone who invests can safely earn 9-10% on their investment. If anyone would like more info please just give me a call @ 702-215-9508, my name is Lenny.

Thank goodness you posted. I have $500,000 to invest and I've been looking for a complete stranger on Internet forums with whom I could entrust the money. So far no luck until now. If you hadn't posted the money would be going to help an exiled Nigerian prince recover his family's fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: