Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,091 times

Advertisements

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!! Predication is not always ACCURATE....pffftttt....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is incorrect. I am from Phoenix, Arizona. Their unemployment rate is 8.6%, compared to 13.4% here in Vegas. They are nowhere near as bad as shape as Vegas.
I was not referring to unemployment I was referring to the housing industry...and at no point did I say problems were AS BAD in AZ as they are in Vegas.

Its funny in one thread you argue how great Vegas is...in the next you argue about how bad things genuinely are here.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i bet the op is like a friend of mine's cousin.... was working in construction at CC making 37. an hour and then was laid off..when asking him about work he was complaining about the unemployment checks he was receiving and that he wanted to go back to work... i said great.. then he said he wouldn't work for any less than 30. an hour...
It's a real challenge for me to feel any empathy, let alone sympathy, for the construction trade. History lessons would have served them all very well, indeed. As I sit here in my townhouse (valued at $200k 4 years ago) and see townhouses in this complex now going for $35-$40k.

Get out your calculator, subtract 7 or 8 from 2008, and we arrive at the 2001 recession, another 7-8 year subtraction takes you back to the early 90's recession, another 7-8 and we're back to the 1982 recession, and then back to the worst of the worst, the 74-75 recession. Roughly, ever 7-8 years, bank on it!!!

So, during the boom times, you sock whatever you can away, planning for the next one, and rack up lots of frequent flier miles, or add thousands of miles to your odometer seeing the country. Recessions should be a time to relax, chill out, enjoy the fruits of your labor in the boom times.

Particularly for the highly paid construction workers, I insert my 33 decibel ear plugs!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-07-2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Change lin

Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's a real challenge for me to feel any empathy, let alone sympathy, for the construction trade. History lessons would have served them all very well, indeed. As I sit here in my townhouse (valued at $200k 4 years ago) and see townhouses in this complex now going for $35-$40k.

Get out your calculator, subtract 7 or 8 from 2008, and we arrive at the 2001 recession, another 7-8 year subtraction takes you back to the early 90's recession, another 7-8 and we're back to the 1982 recession, and then back to the worst of the worst, the 74-75 recession. Roughly, ever 7-8 years, bank on it!!!

So, during the boom times, you sock whatever you can away, planning for the next one, and rack up lots of frequent flier miles, or add thousands of miles to your odometer seeing the country. Recessions should be a time to relax, chill out, enjoy the fruits of your labor in the boom times.

Particularly for the highly paid construction workers, I insert my 33 decibel ear plugs!
i feel the same way.. this guy should be taking anything he can get, even if its ten bucks an hour

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 PM

44 posts, read 177,222 times
Default What do You Expect??

What do you expect when 15% of the employment was construction related during the boom?

People are idiots to think that construction job employment / building would continue forever... including the idiots running the Govt. who pissed all the money away and set their budgets expecting it to continue.

Official Unemployment is going to hit 15% IMO... unofficial unemployment is already at 20%. (Includes Underemployed, less hours, lower pay, etc..)

No surprise for anybody with a clue...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM

255 posts, read 556,961 times
It's a veritable mess out there when random people you meet talk about the "bad economy." It's here, there and everywhere despite talk of "green shoots." California is imo in worse shape because of their structural budget deficit and I believe at a point of diminishing returns with raising taxes. Increase taxes and more people move away as they have already done. Get rid of Prop. 13 and people would be furious with that.

As it is, I will do my part to stimulate the local vegas economy by spending a week there after Halloween.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I was not referring to unemployment I was referring to the housing industry...and at no point did I say problems were AS BAD in AZ as they are in Vegas.

Its funny in one thread you argue how great Vegas is...in the next you argue about how bad things genuinely are here.
I love Vegas, and I really enjoy living here, but there is no denying economy is really bad here. If you read my past posts, you would understand that.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 AM

44 posts, read 177,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

I'm with Las Vegas Drunk... I moved back from Chicago because the economy up there is not much better... just a little behind in the correction process.

I'm lovin Vegas for the businesses that have adjusted their prices to pre-boom artificial economy days. Businesses that don't get it... will end up having their doors shut.

My suggestion for businesses is to stop thinking about 2006 and start thinking 2002.... once you can get that simple concept in your head... make the adjustments and thrive... The rest of the idiots will go out of business and you'll eventually shine.

As for Unemployment... I reiterate the fact that over 15% of the jobs in Las Vegas during the boom days were construction related and those jobs are gone for a LONG, LONG, time... THEY are not coming back so don't expect any return to the boom days anytime soon.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Some of these construction workers need some sense knocked back into them. My buddy is a tile setter is about to get laid off once they finish Aria with NO projects lined up. I point out to him about a tile setter job at Westgate. Naw he says it pays $7 less than union scale. Would you rather collect unemployment for 393 a week or make $25 an hour at Westgate. I’ll take the unemployment.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
[quote=inveritatemonstra;11094902]

My suggestion for businesses is to stop thinking about 2006 and start thinking 2002.... once you can get that simple concept in your head... make the adjustments and thrive... The rest of the idiots will go out of business and you'll eventually shine.

quote]

I totally understand that logic and it makes sense. The problem is how can I begin charging 2002 prices for my product when all of my overhead is still at 2006 costs? My doors will close too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas