Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 69,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
Your telling me that I could have been employed if I had all a degree???

People with degrees are the ones unemployed.
It's not the have all end all... but it does help. Given two candidates - both equal except one has a degree and one doesn't.... which would you hire?

Most apps that I've submitted and have gotten a positive reply were drawn to me because of my degree and experience.

I was just trying to point out that statistically the Las Vegas population isn't as educated as other metro ares making someone with a degree a more desirable candidate than they might be in another area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36geoff View Post
So that makes me unqualified to post since I've been browsing for a few weeks and haven't bothered to sign up or post until earlier today?
No, it is because you...

a. Just signed up today, but you...

b. Made a comment that all of us longtime locals know to be false.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No, it is because you...

a. Just signed up today, but you...

b. Made a comment that all of us longtime locals know to be false.
I'd like to see some data to back that up. This isn't *the* source of data: ( Jobless rate leaps to 13.1 percent in Las Vegas - Las Vegas Sun) but all of the lagging industries here look to be those that employ largely unskilled workers. I'm sure there are plenty of degree holding peopel out of work in this town just like every other one in the country, but I feel I have a much higher edge here than back in San Diego or in the SF Bay Area.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,731,374 times
Quote:
It's not the have all end all... but it does help. Given two candidates - both equal except one has a degree and one doesn't.... which would you hire?

Most apps that I've submitted and have gotten a positive reply were drawn to me because of my degree and experience.

I was just trying to point out that statistically the Las Vegas population isn't as educated as other metro ares making someone with a degree a more desirable candidate than they might be in another area.
Where are those statistics? I would like to see them.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Where are those statistics? I would like to see them.
ACS: Ranking Table -- Percent of People 25 Years and Over Who Have Completed a Bachelor's Degree (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Ranking/2003/R02T040.htm - broken link)

Percent of People 25 Years and Over Who Have Completed a Bachelor's Degree (by state)

13 California 29.1
47 Nevada 19.5%

I'll take my chances in Nevada.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
I'd like to see some data to back that up. This isn't *the* source of data: ( Jobless rate leaps to 13.1 percent in Las Vegas - Las Vegas Sun) but all of the lagging industries here look to be those that employ largely unskilled workers. I'm sure there are plenty of degree holding peopel out of work in this town just like every other one in the country, but I feel I have a much higher edge here than back in San Diego or in the SF Bay Area.
Ok, sorry about the troll comment. You appeared to be one, but you are making reasonable point. Approximately only 16% of the Las Vegas metro have a bachelor's degree. Still, there are others with a degree that are having lots of problems finding work.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,430,369 times
What good does a degree do in a poor job market like Las Vegas?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ok, sorry about the troll comment. You appeared to be one, but you are making reasonable point. Approximately only 16% of the Las Vegas metro have a bachelor's degree. Still, there are others with a degree that are having lots of problems finding work.
No problem! Like I said, it isn't a end solution to get a job. For me - having one of my bachelors in Political Science is actually useful out here in Nevada (compared to California) since Nevada isn't broke. There are next to no state/city jobs avaliable in California, but the State of Nevada is actively hiring for quite a few positions.

Those with business/construction management/marketing degrees are likely having a tough time finding work here right now.

My point to the OP was that that job market is completely dependent on the skills or degree that you possess. If you're a HS grad that wants to serve cocktails, (not that there is anything wrong with it) you're going to be in for some tough competition.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM

367 posts, read 819,386 times
There are jobs to be found, but not easy to find. Depends on what you do, really.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
Quote:
I have a bachelors degree and have drawn some interest after being here just a week. My gf was able to land 2 jobs (1 a transfer) in that time.

Almost all of the unemployed here are those with no college education and those in the construction industry. Tons of out of work unskilled labor here.
really?? ive got a bachelors and 20yrs experience.. as for interest.. i'll agree, its getting past the first, second, third, and fourth interviews.... Interest. hah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas