Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,419 times

Advertisements

I've been looking on Craigslist for apartments for rent and I see many poeople who will help you find an apartment at no cost to me. Does anyone know if these are scams or something worthwhile for someone moving to Las Vegas. I don't know the area and it sounds like a service that would be helpful but I'm being cautious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:44 PM

450 posts, read 1,513,934 times
I would be careful about using these types of services. When I was apartment hunting about a month or so ago, I went to some of the properties I saw on Craigslist, for example, 2bd/2ba for $775.00/mth. When I got to the actual property, they advised their current special was $855.00/mth for that unit. While it is possible that the service will offer the lower rate, I'm wondering if their fee for finding the deal for you would equate to what the actual complex is offering anyhow. Pros and cons I suppose. I'd rather deal with the complex myself than a third party.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Be really careful with craigslist. It's full of scams and flim-flam artists. Sad, because it's a great concept. Also I would never go cl shopping alone. Anyone can be anything on that site. Use google or other reference sites, friends who live in Vegas, to verify these places are real.

Every now and then you can find a great deal but you have to shovel a lot of crap to get to the real stuff.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,570 times
Default Dont trust craiglist

Period. Just don't Craigslist is trying to minimize the fraud posts by making accounts that post complete a security screening by submitting a valid phone number but still it's not to be trusted. If you are looking, use RENT.COM.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-08-2009 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: use only Direct Message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTreker View Post
I've been looking on Craigslist for apartments for rent and I see many poeople who will help you find an apartment at no cost to me. Does anyone know if these are scams or something worthwhile for someone moving to Las Vegas. I don't know the area and it sounds like a service that would be helpful but I'm being cautious.
Yes you have to be very careful with craigslist.. There are alot of scams thats for sure.. And another thing.. WATCH THE NEIGHBORHOODS VERY CAREFULLY... For the most part, Forget East of the Strip.(Nellis, Pecos, etc).. If you are looking in the North, Stay north of Craig, west of 15..., Summerlin is great, the nw is great, aliante is great..

I dont know what your budget is (that info would help)

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: please DM the party. thanks.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 PM

100 posts, read 404,619 times
You have to watch out renting in the Valley right now. There are a lot of people that are about 2 steps from foreclosure trying to rent homes and condos. You sign a lease and a month or so later in comes the bank and gives 60 days to get out. While the whole time you have been paying the owner.

I know you said apts but just beware. Some of the "so called" apts on Craigs list are actually individually owned condos almost ready for foreclosure. I have had 2 clients burned by this in the past 6 months.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRay View Post
Period. Just don't Craigslist is trying to minimize the fraud posts by making accounts that post complete a security screening by submitting a valid phone number but still it's not to be trusted. If you are looking, use RENT.COM.
Oh, come on. Let's not be overly dramatic everyone. Sure, there are some scams on Craigslist. Just as there are some on E-bay. That doesn't mean that someone shouldn't use either of those services.

I've been using Craigslist for years to buy and sell things such as tickets to concerts and sporting events, furniture and other items, as well as to hire people for odd jobs around my house. I've even rented out a room on a short-term basis to interns looking for a short-term rental. In fact, we've stayed in touch with some of these people and now have friends in France, Amsterdam,Germany and Poland.

And now that we've just sold our house (in one weekend BTW!), we just rented a beautiful condo in downtown D.C. for a few months (until we're ready to relocate to Vegas) from an owner who posted an ad on Craigslist.

There's nothing wrong with using Craigslist.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,570 times
Default Pfffft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh, come on. Let's not be overly dramatic everyone. Sure, there are some scams on Craigslist. Just as there are some on E-bay. That doesn't mean that someone shouldn't use either of those services.

I've been using Craigslist for years to buy and sell things such as tickets to concerts and sporting events, furniture and other items, as well as to hire people for odd jobs around my house. I've even rented out a room on a short-term basis to interns looking for a short-term rental. In fact, we've stayed in touch with some of these people and now have friends in France, Amsterdam,Germany and Poland.

And now that we've just sold our house (in one weekend BTW!), we just rented a beautiful condo in downtown D.C. for a few months (until we're ready to relocate to Vegas) from an owner who posted an ad on Craigslist.

There's nothing wrong with using Craigslist.
Yeah I've obviously used Craigslist KNOWING about it, but I was advising to the original post to NOT use Craigslist while looking for a property to rent cause new residents are not aware of the area/neighborhoods or the rent/prices.

Rent.com is definitely a good site to use, they even reward new lease holders $100.00 gift card once you prove you have signed a lease through one of the properties advertised on their website.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
rent.com what a joke.. it is a advertisers dream.. tell you what, when i'm ready to rent my home, i'll give you a $500 gift card when you sign the lease and pay 500 more than what its worth..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: