Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

I'm not big on Greek food either. Greek wine...now that's different...Greek wimmin too. We usually go for something to do. It's a party. Not up to going this year though.

TONIGHT, 6:00PM, WVU vs. LSU on ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:27 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Two Words.....Lamb Shanks!

Yum!!! Spanikopita is excellent as well.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:56 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I wish I was there, I would be going for sure!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:27 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I wish they wouldn't charge admission fee's to get into these things. That's a drawback, plus don't you have to pay for parking too? Then the food.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,626 times
Thumbs up Greek Food Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Sounds great. I was terribly disappointed in the San Gennaro festival. We each paid $8 to get in and that provided us nothing but the opportunity to spend more money buying food from vendors.

Yes- I have heard many people complain about the San Gennaro Festival- They have it twice a year now and move it around all the time. As I was saying like many of the festivals in town...they are a bunch of vendors- restaraunt people that rent out a booth and sell their food....Most of it isnt even Italian! I would like it much better if they actually had some great old Italian ladies making their specialties. That is why I much prefer the Greek Food Festival- cause it is REAL and not a rip off. When you pay your admission- you get a constant live band- folk dancers, shopping, food, a kids area- tours of the church- picnic tables, dance floor. The church grounds are beautiful as opposed to a dirt empty lot like the San Gennaro festival. No comparison- those who compare havent been to both...totally different feel and the food is far superior at the Greek Fest!
If you go on Sunday ask for Bougatsa in the pastry area..they make it fresh and it is TO DIE FOR! It is a fresh baked custard in filo dough topped with cinnamon and powdered sugar! A nice greek lady comes in and makes it fresh and special for the people to have after church on Sunday!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I wish they wouldn't charge admission fee's to get into these things. That's a drawback, plus don't you have to pay for parking too? Then the food.
I've never paid for parking at either festival. I don't know what the admission to the Greek Festival is this year, but it usually isn't too bad. A festival is an expensive thing to put on, and the Greeks do it to raise money for the church. San Gennaro isn't for San Gennaro or a church though. I'm pretty sure it's a "for profit" venture only, but they are taking a big risk with their money, and they have to pay the bills if you want it to keep coming back.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've never paid for parking at either festival. I don't know what the admission to the Greek Festival is this year, but it usually isn't too bad. A festival is an expensive thing to put on, and the Greeks do it to raise money for the church. San Gennaro isn't for San Gennaro or a church though. I'm pretty sure it's a "for profit" venture only, but they are taking a big risk with their money, and they have to pay the bills if you want it to keep coming back.
As much as I would like to go, money is so tight it isn't even funny. Maybe next year. I have always wanted to go to the Greek festival. I just love baklava. Never had it fresh before though. Bought it once from Swiss colony. Bet it's nothing like the fresh. But it still tasted very good.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,866 times
[quote=Buzz123;10791468]If you've been to one at the new church then it hasn't changed. But the church venue is much better than the places they used to hold the festival. They have much more room, and it's all outdoors. And it's no more expensive than you'd expect a festival to be. The food is good, if you like Greek food, and the wine and beer are really good. They have Greek bands and they still dance like always. There is a kids area too. It's a rather pleasant experience, but we plan to go before it gets hot again this weekend. Gotta buy some homemade baklava to freeze. It's a long time between Greek festivals.

How does the baklava taste after it's been frozen? I love baklava but didn't think about freezing it.

PS: Your Mountaineers covered the point spread....thank you very much!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
As much as I would like to go, money is so tight it isn't even funny. Maybe next year. I have always wanted to go to the Greek festival. I just love baklava. Never had it fresh before though. Bought it once from Swiss colony. Bet it's nothing like the fresh. But it still tasted very good.
I used to work with one of the ladies that makes it for the festival. She brought some to work and it was the best I ever had. We usually by plenty at the festival and freeze it.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 PM

[quote=whyhateme;16041984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If you've been to one at the new church then it hasn't changed. But the church venue is much better than the places they used to hold the festival. They have much more room, and it's all outdoors. And it's no more expensive than you'd expect a festival to be. The food is good, if you like Greek food, and the wine and beer are really good. They have Greek bands and they still dance like always. There is a kids area too. It's a rather pleasant experience, but we plan to go before it gets hot again this weekend. Gotta buy some homemade baklava to freeze. It's a long time between Greek festivals.

How does the baklava taste after it's been frozen? I love baklava but didn't think about freezing it.

PS: Your Mountaineers covered the point spread....thank you very much!
Oh. I said that before didn't I? Thot you was readin my mind. It tastes good thawed out.

We may have coved the spread but we lost. I guess it's nothing to be ashamed of losing in Baton Rouge by one TD with #15 beating #22. What a crowd. I hope we play them in Morgantown next year. I don't think you can get 94,000 people in Mountaineer Stadium, or in the city of Morganhole for that matter. But we'll win at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas