Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM

99 posts, read 387,091 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have just gotten a job offer, have my green card and am thinking of moving from Ireland (Cork) to Las Vegas within the next month.

Just wondering if any locals or people who have previously relocated to the city have any advice in general, here are my biggest concerns:

1. Work
I work in IT, (networking). I currently have 22 vacation days a year, my new job will give me 7 which is a shock.

Is 7 days per year really normal?

I've been told the the average working week is about 55+ hours, seems high - I currently work 40 solid hours in europe per week.

2. Salary vs Living Costs
The salary I am looking at is about $70,000 - is this a good salary? I live a fairly modest lifestyle - like to go out once / twice a week, not into spending money for show.

3. People
No offense intended here, but it seems people have a much higher level of distrust about each other in general, suspicion is the order of the day e.g. having to pay for gas in advance of filling up, multiple background & legal checks before leasing properties etc.. which we don't have or really require in Ireland to the same extent.

I have experienced this to the extent that I am am worried that it will make it hard to meet new people & friends - maybe I'm being paranoid though?

4. Employment situation
My wife who is from Tampa and who also works in IT is looking for work - checking the job sites to see what is available but their does not seem to be much.

What is it like to get a job in the city at the moment - really as hard as people on other posts are saying?

Really appreciate any advice!

BWT - I have been to Vegas before, but only as a tourist - love the heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
That job offer is wonderful. Just make sure the company is legit and it's all in writing. The only way to move to Vegas right now is with job in hand. And yes, it is that bad here.

I've worked overseas and I KNOW how vacations work there. Yes, the 7 days is for real. Sorry. The 55 hours a week is for real too. You may work considerably MORE than that. I also hope you know you will probably be oncall and carrying a cellphone so they can reach you 24X7.

If your lifestyle is reasonable, you will be fine at 70K for 2 people. Remember to save a lot because you will be at the bottom of the list if there are layoffs.

People..... Well, Vegas attracts some less than honest individuals and folks just passing through. Pay for gas first and credit checks are just normal here. Some people think it's hard to meet people and make friends here. I think it depends on you. Las Vegas can be your misery or your playground.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,789,434 times
1. 7 vaction days a year is common to start.

2. $70,000 is a good salary to live modestly in Vegas.

3. Paying before fill is common across America. Must people pay with a credit or debit card at the pump so not much of an issue.

4. Jobs are tight not sure about IT jobs specifically.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:47 PM

99 posts, read 387,091 times
Thanks yellowsnow - good to get some local advice esp about working conditions! Sounds scary

Last edited by irishman_irl; 09-13-2009 at 01:00 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Thanks yellowsnow - good to get some local advice esp about working conditions! Sounds scary
It's not an easy time to relocate to Vegas. Just know you will be working a LOT. Don't be scared, be cautious and realistic. Always have a backup plan or 2.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,242,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's not an easy time to relocate to Vegas. Just know you will be working a LOT. Don't be scared, be cautious and realistic. Always have a backup plan or 2.

Good luck!
It is the bottom in Las Vegas. But it won't last forever. I would expect it to turn a bit next year and get to some reasonable level in the 2011/2012 time frame.

The next big run up is more than five and likely more than ten years away. One hopes we will have learned to moderate it by then.

YOu can do very well on 70K per annum. And the vacation and hours will work out as the world rights itself.

So come and enjoy it is a very nice place...particularly if you like the heat.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,527,711 times
Unfortunately, the U.S. trails other industrialized nations in time off for vacation. 7 days vacation is low, but one usually builds up more time...over time.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,641,655 times
I would move to Vegas if I could replace my current job with $70K a year. I live in Los Angeles and make more than that now.

Buying a house in Vegas would be lower than my current rent in LA for a room in a house. Buying a townhome in a decent area would be cheaper than my rent even after factoring in utilities, insurance, and taxes.

Food costs would be less due to the large amount of inexpensive places to eat out at, and entertainment costs in Vegas are often zero.

I

Old 09-14-2009, 12:57 AM

21 posts, read 69,223 times
Hi
I moved from Ireland to the USA and worked for a US multinational for +10 years, before moving to London on an intercompany transfer 3 years ago.

I deeply miss the lifestlye that I had in the US (which was in Fort Lauderdale by the way). I am currenly planning to return to the US. Been trying to buy a place in Vegas over the last few months.

In realtion to your questions
* You could take a shot at trying to negotiate the vacation a bit upwards, depends on how much they want you, size of company, precedent it may set with other staff etc. No harm in trying, but they are not trying to take advantage...just one of those US compared to Europe differences.
* While I certainly worked +55 hours for time to time. it was not the norm (even for the IT guys) where I worked. But ask that question of your new company, what they expect from you is what matters. The economy is allowing companies to push the envelope on what they can demand....times have changed everywhere.
*Yes this background stuff appears to be a bit over the top and the gas prepayment a little odd to those of us who grew in Ireland, but in my view it is not reflective of people in general. Then again you are moving to a part of the US that is one of the more transient in the country, so that will have some effect on making friends.
* You will do just fine on you salary, taxes will be lower that what you are used to and goods are cheaper in general.
One work of caution..MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.... as part of your deal. You and your wife may be young and healthy and feel bulletproof,but you got to cover this. US healthcare costs are a shocker, even for a minor issue.

If whatever reason you do not like LV, and it is a unique city, remember it is a hugh and diverse country and I am sure there will be somewhere that is for both of you.

If your wife does manage to find a job you will be be very well but budget and plan just to your salary

I note you said you like the heat,have you been there in midsummer?
If you like that kind of heat, are you sure you are Irish? lol.

I wish you all the best

Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 AM

792 posts, read 1,303,504 times
Brother Mick...Unless you are hell bent on moving to the States....think hard abotu this move. I am second generation in this country and would go home in a heart beat....Things in Vegas are quite tough at the moment. Needless to say between that and all of our national issues...life here could be much different that what you are accustomed.

Come over and visit.....check it out....check the scene locally and nationally and then make an informed decision....One Irishman stuck here is bad........two Irishmen stuck here could be a livin hell......best of luck my friend.....safe travels...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas