Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 AM

99 posts, read 386,798 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys - some sound advice there. Really do appreciate your views and take them on board.

Even though the economy is bad and there are 1000 reasons why I should stay in my "safe" job (and rot) I'll never know if I don't take a risk and always wonder what if....

The freezing weather and astronomically high cost of living here is really grating on me, feel like I want to be somewhere else for a few years.

I have enough money to live & travel for at least 3 months it the job does not work out, after which time if I'm still just hitting a wall I can return home and get a job easily enough, but will mean starting all over again.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Thanks guys - some sound advice there. Really do appreciate your views and take them on board.

Even though the economy is bad and there are 1000 reasons why I should stay in my "safe" job (and rot) I'll never know if I don't take a risk and always wonder what if....

The freezing weather and astronomically high cost of living here is really grating on me, feel like I want to be somewhere else for a few years.

I have enough money to live & travel for at least 3 months it the job does not work out, after which time if I'm still just hitting a wall I can return home and get a job easily enough, but will mean starting all over again.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Success in life is all about taking risks. Without risk there is no reward and to quote an old, but very true saying, you will never know until you try

Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I get having to, needing to, take a chance. What's life for if not to live?

When I was 14, I left the US and went to school in France for 5 years. Scary but it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Keep a positive attitude and Las Vegas will treat you well. Best of luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 AM

21 posts, read 69,104 times
I agree with the last two posters and say go for it!

You have a good job lined up and you have an exit plan if things turn sour.
On the other hand it could open up many doors to you that you never dreamed of, as this economic situation turns around.

Of course it is you life and decision, mistakes can be fixed, regrets are never really resolved.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:23 PM

296 posts, read 803,159 times
The annual leave that US employers give their staff is obscene - most give a week or two. It is not like in civilised countries where all employees get at least four weeks (I get 6 weeks).

Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
The annual leave that US employers give their staff is obscene - most give a week or two. It is not like in civilised countries where all employees get at least four weeks (I get 6 weeks).
i'd like to introduce you to the forum's newest troll or naysayer for that matter.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 PM

66 posts, read 137,626 times
Well since we are so uncivilized lets roll out the pot, fire up the pit, and cook up some Plain Jane for dinner. Anyone got some drums so we can run around the fire in our uncivilized country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post

Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 PM

66 posts, read 137,626 times
Irishman I can't say what other IT people are having to work but I'm a Switch Engineer at one the big four cell companies and I am on-call every so many weeks. I can tell you a lot of companies don't want you to do overtime to ave money. So it might be that way and it might not.

As far as days off. Some companies you don't start with any days off, you accrue them as time passes. Every company I have ever worked for gave at least two weeks of vacation days and 7 PTO days.

I have started a job with none and I have started jobs with 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas