Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM

43 posts, read 206,951 times

Advertisements

I've been perusing this site for quite awhile on our housing search, and have seen the posts about the NE Vegas area. There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions, so I thought I'd direct attention to a specific area of NE Vegas in hopes you all can help me

We're new to Vegas and recently found a home near Owens and Hollywood just below Hollywood (nearer to Mt. Hood)

I've heard a lot of bad things, and some positive things about the area. Some people say it's a great area but you have to go through a lot of crap to get there. Other people tell me don't buy the house, because you'll basically get shot walking out your front door. Those same people encourage me to buy a $150k or more house instead ... That's just not an option for us, as I do plan on leaving my job in order to go to school full time in the near future, so we would be living on my husband's income only.

Anyway, the house is a great deal - it only appraised for cheap because the appraiser didn't do his job. It is one of those things where we'd never find another house like it, and it is the perfect house for us.

But, I do have a small child - schools are NOT my concern, however. I am more concerned about SAFETY.

Would anyone mind giving me their opinion on this area? Like I said, I have read a lot of the other posts, but I haven't really seen anything about this area in particular.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,094 times
I have lived in this area for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
I've been perusing this site for quite awhile on our housing search, and have seen the posts about the NE Vegas area. There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions, so I thought I'd direct attention to a specific area of NE Vegas in hopes you all can help me

We're new to Vegas and recently found a home near Owens and Hollywood just below Hollywood (nearer to Mt. Hood)

I've heard a lot of bad things, and some positive things about the area. Some people say it's a great area but you have to go through a lot of crap to get there. Other people tell me don't buy the house, because you'll basically get shot walking out your front door. Those same people encourage me to buy a $150k or more house instead ... That's just not an option for us, as I do plan on leaving my job in order to go to school full time in the near future, so we would be living on my husband's income only.

Anyway, the house is a great deal - it only appraised for cheap because the appraiser didn't do his job. It is one of those things where we'd never find another house like it, and it is the perfect house for us.

But, I do have a small child - schools are NOT my concern, however. I am more concerned about SAFETY.

Would anyone mind giving me their opinion on this area? Like I said, I have read a lot of the other posts, but I haven't really seen anything about this area in particular.

Thanks!!
Once you get as far east as Hollywood or near thereto the crime rate is virtually zero. Get down west of Nellis gets a little unsocial.

Have troubles with the high school though the elementaries are probably OK.

But if you are working that some other way no problem.

Wonderful views. Nice neighbors. What more can you want. Just be careful where you go shopping.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
I have friends who live in the area. As others have said not the best or worst area. Won't get shot walking out your front door, turning of off Nellis going down Owens could be exciting some nights.

If schools are not an issue and you like the house go for it.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
A friend of mine bought a new house near Hollywood and Lake mead a few years back and he has no complaints. A little dicey on weekend nights once in a while with the kids hot rodding around in their cars but other than that it's fine. Like the others have said, heading west towards Nellis is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas