Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times

Advertisements

Anyone catch Today's article in Viewpoints: Cars Blaring Loud Music Create Anxiety For Some, by Steven Kalas, in Asking Human Matters?

According to county commissioners, booming stereos are the #1 complaint of Las Vegas residents.

On a recent trip to Oregon, where the state of Oregon imposed $1500 fines on boom cars, oh so quiet and peaceful! On a recent trip to Manhattan, I never heard a loud, thumping boom car there, thanks partly to their Operation Silent Night Campaigns.

This state needs money badly. 1000 boom cars detained with $1500 fines (higher fines up to $3000 in other parts of the country) translates to $1.5 million. A $3000 fine would double that revenue to $3 million.

I sent a Noise Pollution package to every representative in the Nevada House and Senate last year, with a list of every county, city and state in the U.S., and what fines they've imposed elsewhere on these boom cars, but no one took the bait.

Perhaps the boom car stereo manufacturers paid them off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 15,304 times
thats true....BUT !! have you herd a Harley start up at 5am... Booming cars with stereo's is heaven come paired to a Harley... ban that bikes first!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anyone catch Today's article in Viewpoints: Cars Blaring Loud Music Create Anxiety For Some, by Steven Kalas, in Asking Human Matters?

According to county commissioners, booming stereos are the #1 complaint of Las Vegas residents.

On a recent trip to Oregon, where the state of Oregon imposed $1500 fines on boom cars, oh so quiet and peaceful! On a recent trip to Manhattan, I never heard a loud, thumping boom car there, thanks partly to their Operation Silent Night Campaigns.

This state needs money badly. 1000 boom cars detained with $1500 fines (higher fines up to $3000 in other parts of the country) translates to $1.5 million. A $3000 fine would double that revenue to $3 million.

I sent a Noise Pollution package to every representative in the Nevada House and Senate last year, with a list of every county, city and state in the U.S., and what fines they've imposed elsewhere on these boom cars, but no one took the bait.

Perhaps the boom car stereo manufacturers paid them off?
Or perhaps they have more important things to deal with than "boom cars"- like the huge economic woes going on in their state? That $3 million you're talking about doesn't come for free- it brings with it the cost of the officers writing the tickets, the people processing the paperwork, etc- all while keeping police from tending to more pressing issues. By the time it's all said and done, maybe you'd end up with $1 million- what's that going to do to help the city?

You're also assuming that the little gang-banger wannabees that wold be getting the tickets have $3k to pay them- what are you going to do if they don't- impound the cars and put the drivers in prison? That's a good use of resources.....

Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
It is right up there on my list of important issues. Just after the slime that forms on the walkway where the airconditioner dumps...or the dust that gets on the patio table.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 PM

A prospective buyer from another part of the country, where they've taken better control of this issue like Chicago, comes to Las Vegas house-hunting. The Agent takes this buyer around the Valley. At various intersections at stop lights, they're bombarded by a car behind them, in front of them or beside them blaring their stereo, or they're outside looking at the house, and a loud boom car passes by or a loud motorcycle.

Does anyone think, for a moment, this might not be a factor in their decision to relocate here?

I'm planning to relocate one day, and it will definitely be a factor in my decision to relocate anywhere.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-07-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: word edit

Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM

6 posts, read 15,304 times
yepppp! just like police and ambulance sounds all day... las vegas is just a noisy city.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Quote:
A prospective buyer from another part of the country, where they've taken better control of this issue like Chicago, comes to Las Vegas house-hunting. The Agent takes this buyer around the Valley. At various intersections at stop lights, they're bombarded by a car behind them, in front of them or beside them blaring their stereo, or they're outside looking at the house, and a loud boom car passes by or a loud motorcycle.

Does anyone think, for a moment, this might not be a factor in their decision to relocate here?

I'm planning to relocate one day, and it will definitely be a factor in my decision to relocate anywhere.
Ahhh comeon. I shuttle people around for days at a time. If we hit one boomer a week it is a bad week. Even my young couple on the east side ran into little of it. Had one block that rocked but we heard few if any boomer cars.

I actually find it more silly than annoying.

Now a rock band next door could strike terror into my soul. Then again though. 110db Souza marchdes and they move out.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,493,269 times
Don't know what part of Manhattan you were in, but in the other 4 boroughs we're a Boomin' Away!! Of course, anything not in King Bloomberg's 'hood doesn't matter. BTW as a resident I can tell you we know nothing of any Operation Silent Night except at Christmas time. Truth is the boomin' idiots are relatively harmless, compared to the DWI/DUI crowd and will eventually go deaf (making a nice match for their existing dumb).

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM

In December I stayed at the L Hostel at Adam Clayton Blvd/118th street in Harlem. Never heard one in that area of town the 5 days there. No police sirens, car alarms either. In April I stayed at the Vanderbilt Y in Midtown, where there's a sign posted outside: $350 fine for honking your horn. I heard no boom cars anywhere I went walking around Manhattan on both trips.

Yes, I was probably in Bloomberg land as I know of his quest to make NYC the quietest Big City in the U.S.. Being the #1 tourist destination in the country, I'm not surprised.

Someone, at work, who goes to these monthly substation meetings, told me there was a Noise Patrol on the Strip, armed with decimeters, to catch boom cars. I've talked with the bicycle cops and they tell me they stop as many as they can in a given night. Again, like Manhattan, protect the tourist, ignore the suffering of the locals?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,383,253 times
Quote:

That falls under the category of who the he** cares. What we do care about is maintaining one of the last live and let live states in the country. That freedom is the real reason all you people want to come here. Then you get here and suddenly you want to restrict us just like you were restricted back in Podunk. Easterners, especially, think the government should control every little thing in our lives. The thing that makes Nevada the best state in the Union is that Nevada is the last bastion of freedom in this country. The other things are just icing on the cake. But with the influx of all these people who can't control themselves we are losing all of our freedoms here too, and pretty soon we'll be arrested for stupid things like spitting on the sidewalk. Would you also like to outlaw gambling while you're at it? A lot of the hypocrites looking for houses here think gambling is a big sin that should be outlawed too...but it's bad only for you and me...not for themselves.

Actually, with your attitude, we'd rather you didn't come here. Try Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas