Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment7 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will be in a Penske 22 foot truck Diesel with a car trailer being pulled, is that a good enough truck for the hills around Laughlin? According to everyone I think it would be good to go around the dam as long as the truck can make it around the hills I would prefer not to go through the inspection process. Thanks
There aren't any hills going via Laughlin, but you wouldn't want to drive that rig down the steep, winding hill onto the dam and then up the steep winding hill on the other side. Laughlin is safest and easiest as far as hills, although 26 miles further. Just be careful on U.S.95 from Laughlin to Boulder City. That's one of the more dangerous roads due to increased traffic. I haven't driven it in a while but as far as I know it is still two lane, or mostly so, and there have been a lot of wrecks by people trying to pass.

Anyone know if 95 has been widened to Laughlin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
95 is 4 lane to Searchlight [compliments of "Scary Harry"] and they were working on it from Searchlite to Kidwell a couple of mos ago. and then 4 lane over the hill to Laughlin.....the pull out of laughlin is pretty steep but nothing you cant manage.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM

30 posts, read 120,672 times
Just to make sure I am talking about what everyone else is talking about looking at Google Maps I am taking 40 West until I hit Kingman, AZ and take US 68 until I get to US 95 North, it looks kinda mountainous according to the terrain map on Google Map but yall are saying I wont have any trouble in a moving truck? I know it would take a lot more time but would it be easier/safer just to stay on I40 and go pass Needles and then connect into 95 North? I know it adds about 60 miles to the trip but just want to make sure the truck can make it up whatever hills/mountains that I will be going through. Thanks again guys for all the help!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 AM

65 posts, read 231,304 times
I concur with what everyone else said. We drove here in a rental truck a year and a half ago. We had been driving for days and it was very late. DH didn't read the sign correctly about trucks and once we got there, it was hell getting through. It was extremely windy and the inspection guy was a total jerk - we were almost out of gas - didn't have enough to go back. We had to unload 1/4 of the truck and finally the guy said OK. I would never recommend going through with a rental truck to anyone from our experience. I was standing in the dark in the wind -after driving for days - with 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat - watching my husband unload the truck with tears streaming down my face - NOT a good memory!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
I think the drop down thru Needles would be worth it....it's much flatter....it is a 2 lane road until you hit the NV line tho [I think]

Going from Kingman to Laughlin does entail some pretty steep hills [6% grades]

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM

160 posts, read 715,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What hills surrounding Laughlin? The road on either side of Hoover Dam is so steep and winding it is difficult even for cars. The problem you have at the dam with trucks is that you may have to unload it and reload it for inspection. You have two choices from Flagstaff...either go over to Laughlin and take 95 north to go around the dam, or go north on 93 to cross the dam and put up with the hassle.
What Hills? Have you ever taken 163? The slope can be murder on a truck

Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 PM

160 posts, read 715,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment7 View Post
Just to make sure I am talking about what everyone else is talking about looking at Google Maps I am taking 40 West until I hit Kingman, AZ and take US 68 until I get to US 95 North, it looks kinda mountainous according to the terrain map on Google Map but yall are saying I wont have any trouble in a moving truck? I know it would take a lot more time but would it be easier/safer just to stay on I40 and go pass Needles and then connect into 95 North? I know it adds about 60 miles to the trip but just want to make sure the truck can make it up whatever hills/mountains that I will be going through. Thanks again guys for all the help!
The problems with the rental trucks sneak up on you when you get to bad terrain. I made the move the opposite way to Houston, and if I could do it again, I would have taken the extra 60 miles. Add a car behind the truck and when you are going down a steep grade it can be problematic.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
What Hills? Have you ever taken 163? The slope can be murder on a truck
I've only had occasion to go in the other direction towards Kingman one time, and that was in a car, but I don't recall anything like the steep, narrow, winding mountain roads you have to negotiate in and out of Hoover Dam. I'll have to take a Sunday drive over that way to see what the fuss is about. Haven't seen Laughlin in a while so I'm due.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Yes I did with 20 feet Budget truck with my accord towed with it. the security at the dam asked me to open the truck and inspected inside the truck and in side the car trunk and let me go. I felt a bit nervous driving through the curves. If you feel you can drive through the rouute with your car attached to it then go ahead no problem from the security there. You just need to stop there for extensive security grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas