Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from Chicago to Vegas... I'm concerned about things to do, outside of gambling and all that. In Chicago, theres a plethora of places to go - bars, comedy clubs, beaches - most residents stay away from the Mag Mile. Is it the same in Vegas?

BTW - I'm 23, if thats anything to take into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Once you get off the strip, Vegas is like any other normal city. You will never be bored here as in finding things to do. They do not call it the "Entertainment capitol of the world" for no reason.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
If you like bars/nightlife, you're in luck. We have some of the best nightlife in the country. Lots of bars and nightclubs on the strip, plus a decent number of local spots off the strip. You definitely wouldn't have a shortage of that kind of thing.

I don't think comedy clubs are big out here, but we do have plenty of shows and concerts and stuff. There's always some cool act in town, and it's not always expensive either.

During the warm months, you can boat at Lake Mead and hike at Mount Charleston and Red Rock. When it gets cool, Mount Charleston has decent sledding and skiing. Golf, jogging, etc. are good year round.

Then we have the normal array of restaurants, movie theaters, shopping malls.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblem8 View Post
I'm considering moving from Chicago to Vegas... I'm concerned about things to do, outside of gambling and all that. In Chicago, theres a plethora of places to go - bars, comedy clubs, beaches - most residents stay away from the Mag Mile. Is it the same in Vegas?

BTW - I'm 23, if thats anything to take into consideration.
Why are you moving? It would help to have employment lined up (or close to being lined up) before moving to Vegas, where the Economy is very weak right now (and, IMO, heading further south before recovering).

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
As other have said you can find anything you want to do in Vegas good or bad.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Why are you moving? It would help to have employment lined up (or close to being lined up) before moving to Vegas, where the Economy is very weak right now (and, IMO, heading further south before recovering).
Where is it not weak? One's chances of finding a specific job in Chicago are probably no better than Vegas. Unemployment is high here because we have a bunch of laid off construction workers and minimally experience service workers, whereas other areas having a lower percentage of such workers in the workforce. Anyone with those skills is pretty much up the creek in all major cities right now.

I wouldn't suggest leaving a job with the hopes of finding another, but if someone is without a job and really wants to live in Vegas they might as well get here ASAP and pound the pavement.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Where is it not weak? One's chances of finding a specific job in Chicago are probably no better than Vegas. Unemployment is high here because we have a bunch of laid off construction workers and minimally experience service workers, whereas other areas having a lower percentage of such workers in the workforce. Anyone with those skills is pretty much up the creek in all major cities right now.

I wouldn't suggest leaving a job with the hopes of finding another, but if someone is without a job and really wants to live in Vegas they might as well get here ASAP and pound the pavement.

There still are minimum wage jobs here that are plentiful. But, that is pretty much it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: