Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times

Advertisements

So I grew up in Las Vegas and left 11 years ago. I have subsequently come back home to visit friends and family and every time I return I can't believe how different (and not in a good way) things on the east side of Vegas have become. When I lived off Maryland Pkwy. there were a few cool record stores, cafe's for the college crowd, vintage clothing stores etc. Now, I can't believe how trashed the area has become. I drove down Maryland and saw vacant storefronts, no cool bars/cafe's and even the Boulevard Mall looked half empty. I was surprised that even the Paymon's Mediterranean cafe has managed to stay open.
It makes me a little sad to think the one area of Vegas that has any potential to be hip (for lack of a better word) is now just left there to rot while everyone has since moved to Summerlin I guess. What's up? Don't college kids still need a place to hang out/study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,744 times
Lets just say some undesireable people took over the neighborhood.....you do the math.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
uno + uno = dos?

- or -

yo + yo = 3 yo, *****?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
i also believe the boulevard mall filed bankruptcy this year

Old 05-30-2009, 05:10 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
It makes me a little sad to think the one area of Vegas that has any potential to be hip (for lack of a better word) is now just left there to rot while everyone has since moved to Summerlin I guess.
Many have also moved to North Las Vegas. If I go back to where I grew up in Florida it looks like Little Haiti.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
The area I grew up in California, is now ghetto hell. It used to be a really nice country place back then. It always makes me wonder why city or state governments let things go to rot they way they do.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
The economy hasn't helped...Just 2 years ago the Boulevard Mall was bustling and had been renovated with new stores, then Dillards closed their store due to economic issues...Since UNLV has been raising tuition rates, how can the college students afford records and such, therefore those stores are closing...Paymon's will always stay open as its shopping center is one of thriving one's in the area and it is one of the best and most popular restaurants in that area as well...It's still my favorite area in all of the city...I still feel safe in that area and the Boulevard Mall is still functional and still has a good range of stores, however it only takes up 2 of the 3 wings now...It is also a good area if you want to rely on public trans and walking, its still always a busy part of town and bright as well...

If you do look to move in that particular location, I would just say to stay away from Sierra Vista/Swenson/Twain area!

There was a plan to renovate some of the shopping centers and make street improvements to the Parkway but again with the economy the way it is, its probably delayed...A few bars were shut down by the county/bar owner who owned a good portion of the bars in the area also citing the economy as an issue...

Also, remember that education isn't on the priority list here and it is mainly a commuter university as well...

Other parts of the East Side are still fine and pretty nice such as a large part of 89121 and 89120 and of course Sunrise Mountain as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas