Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 PM

269 posts, read 784,055 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share a fun experience with everyone near Las Vegas that is fun and free to do ...except for $5 at the gate and Clif bars and lots of water.

I hiked Turtlehead Peak at Red Rock Canyon. It's 4 and a half miles round-trip, and just under a 2000 ft elevation gain.

Please be very careful about the heat this time of year. It was 95F when I hiked this and I considered myself LUCKY. Wear a good hat, lots of sunscreen, and a light shirt. You know this stuff...leave early in the morning and bring lots of water (I brought 3 liters) and things to snack on.

Here's the trail...

The view of the peak from the beginning of the trail...

The trail has signs you can follow until you get to the base of the mountain. Then the trail gets a little more challenging to follow.

The view behind me

And the way ahead

I found a tree on the way up the mountain and it made my break so much more worth it. I love this tree!

The trail takes you around the side of the mountain before it leads you to the peak. The trail gets kind of hard to follow from here, but follow one of the trails and try to keep high ground. Don't follow the dry riverbed on the way up or you'll hit obstacles. I had to ask people hiking down where to go sometimes. It would be nice if this was better marked.

View from the top!

Las Vegas!

And yet...there are even taller mountains behind me!

I saw this rescue copter buzz through the mountains...again, be careful and know your skill level.

Ahh, never been so thankful to see my car until now!

There is also a very beautiful drive on the way back in Red Rock. However, I thought I would leave you with this picture. This german shepherd in the car in front of me had his eyes ominously trained on me most of the ride!

The best things in life are free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
I did it with a group from the Sierra Club one time. The thing I remember was the trail was hard to follow and not completely safe in places, and if the hike leader hadn't known the way I probably wouldn't have found it. Now you'll have to lead the next hike. Are you sure about it only being 4½ miles round trip? It seemed farther than that. Nice pix. The views up there make the hike worth doing.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
love the dog...didn't know there were hiking guides either.... im not much of a hiker (nerves are rattled)... how is this compared to valley of fire going to the mouse lake?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
love the dog...didn't know there were hiking guides either.... im not much of a hiker (nerves are rattled)... how is this compared to valley of fire going to the mouse lake?
The Sierra Club, and I suppose other outdoor clubs, have group hikes and usually someone familiar with the trail will lead the hike. I think they even have some formal training for hike leaders in case of accidents, etc.

The hike to Turtlehead Peak compared to the walk to Mouse's Tank is like comparing a 10K race uphill with a stroll in the park. That is unless you do what mo'lady and I did once and hike cross country around the back of the great big red rocks to Mouse's Tank where a lot of dangerous rock scrambling is required. If it's too easy it can be a little boring after you've done it a hundred times, but it's all good as long as you're outside.

And if your nerves are rattled there is nothing like a good hike in the mountains to calm frazzled nerves. No outdoorsman ever had to take tranquilizers...and you can quote me.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,577 times
Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 PM

113 posts, read 328,659 times
Thank you for the nice pictures and report.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM

122 posts, read 356,454 times
I got winded just looking at the pictures of those trails...lol

Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 PM

58 posts, read 344,024 times
That looks like a superb trail to hike. I love the Vegas desert scenery...too bad I don't live there. Maybe in the future. Thanks or sharing these awesome photos.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Just wanted to say again...I love these pix...especially since my hiking days are over. Thanks for the memories alex, etc.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas