Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 11,723 times

Advertisements

I think it is amazing how all these Turkish ran charter schools state that there is a waiting list or a lotterry to get in them. If this was the case then have you ever ever heard of a child being turned down because of a waiting list to get in? Nope neither have I. I think they use that as a selling point and to make you feel lucky. Read the news paper about coral academy and sonoran science and beehive academy. This school is sponcured by the Gulen Movement. An Islamic Cult. Do not send your child there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exssa parent View Post
I think it is amazing how all these Turkish ran charter schools state that there is a waiting list or a lotterry to get in them. If this was the case then have you ever ever heard of a child being turned down because of a waiting list to get in? Nope neither have I. I think they use that as a selling point and to make you feel lucky. Read the news paper about coral academy and sonoran science and beehive academy. This school is sponcured by the Gulen Movement. An Islamic Cult. Do not send your child there.
I went to their recent lottery winners selection event. Lot of kids from challenger school applied. I think around 80 kids applied for first grade and they have only 20 seats open. In some grades there were no available seats but kids applied. So, yes, there are students who did not make it. Same with the magnet schools lottery system. Few seats and more applicants.

I do not blame you if you did not here anyone was turned down. Because you are not the master of universe.

Its a public charter school with emphasis on science and math. They have to recruit through lottery system.

Rest of your post is garbage. I am not going to respond.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 11,723 times
Do yourself a favor and Google:
Gulen charter school
Salt lake tribune Gulen
Tucson weekly Sonoran Science Academy
Tim Steller Gulen

These Turkish Charter schools are fleecing the tax payers and those that donate. Your kids are not getting a better education. They are skewing the numbers to get more money from Federal and State. It is Islamic in its intentions and format. They are the ones who are sexciost and racist. Ever see any women working in Authoritive postions at these schools? Vice Peincipal on up to the board of directors? Nope all Turkish men.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,658 times
Default From an actual parent...

I'm going to ignore the grammatical and spelling errors in your post and presume that you do indeed have a command of the English language, I would however, as a parent, like to address the comments towards the school as they relate to education.

The attacks you have directed towards the school are absurd so I won't even bother addressing them. I will however speak a bit on the school, and the education that my child is receiving.

When we moved to Las Vegas 2 years ago my son had come from an extremely competitive IBO charter school program, we searched for a comparable education in Las Vegas, and 4 campuses later (2 private) we found Coral Academy. The school provides a solid education with an emphasis on science and math. My child enjoys the challenge of the curriculum and has become quite social in his time there. His teachers (3 of them) communicated his progress on a regular basis, and more importantly, let me know when he was getting off track.

As with any campus, I find that the parents that are most involved and invested in their children's education do indeed get the most from the school. This is not a campus for a parent that is going to drop their child off and expect the school to educate and parent the child.

As a Latina, I find that the school has a good mix of ethnic and cultural diversity. It is an appropriate representation of the city's demographics and doesn't, in my opinion, lean in one way or another.

They campus has grown this year and will be taking over two of the Henderson International School's former campuses, so I expect their enrollment will grow as well. I can almost guarantee that many of those parents that paid the $15k per year for Henderson International will be bringing their children to Coral.

If your child has an interest in science, math and arts, I recommend the school. Not so much if you are looking for an emphasis on sports and language arts, at least not at this moment.

Take a tour yourself and decide if the school works for you and your family, it did indeed work for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exssa parent View Post
Do yourself a favor and Google:
Gulen charter school
Salt lake tribune Gulen
Tucson weekly Sonoran Science Academy
Tim Steller Gulen

These Turkish Charter schools are fleecing the tax payers and those that donate. Your kids are not getting a better education. They are skewing the numbers to get more money from Federal and State. It is Islamic in its intentions and format. They are the ones who are sexciost and racist. Ever see any women working in Authoritive postions at these schools? Vice Peincipal on up to the board of directors? Nope all Turkish men.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,146,773 times
all these FIRST POSTS smell to high heaven

Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,259 times
I go to coral, I'm in 8th grade, I've been there since 4th. It's a very good school, the teachers are awesome, and if u dont get the material they have toutors, and you can always talk to the teachers, they'll always help you. The uniforms are a plus too, at public schools alot of the kids get bullied, but sense they have uniforms there is a large decrease in being pick on because evey on is wearing the same thing, and you'll save money on back to school shopping. Anyways, my brother went to CAS (he started in 7th), at the public school he went to before he wasn't happy, the teachers basicly told him "If you dont get it well then, to bad.", and he wasn't working to his potential, because of Coral he's in collage, and is majoring in computer science and has a 4.0. I love coral! It's the best school I've ever went to! I know that you're probably not thinking about collage right now, but Coral will help you out sooo much in the future. They have an excillent art and band program, you can even learn a different language, which is pretty useful if you want a career that has alot of traveling. Overall, coral is a VERY good school.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM

"His teachers (3 of them) communicated his progress on a regular basis, and more importantly, let me know when he was getting off track."

You're completely right! My teachers at CAS scheduled a home vistit when I got off track, I've never seen a school that does that, It really helped me out, now the lowest grade I have is a B!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM

"His teachers (3 of them) communicated his progress on a regular basis, and more importantly, let me know when he was getting off track."
-CarSan

You're completely right! My teachers at CAS scheduled a home vistit when I got off track, I've never seen a school that does that, It really helped me out, now the lowest grade I have is a B!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,940 times
i am a 7th grader going to eight grade and ive been in coral since 7 grade! i absolutely hate the school! ever since ive been in coral ive become worse and all the turkish teachers dont know how to teach! its no joke.. for example in math the teacher doesnt explain.. he only shows examples which doesn't help at all! in science he sits on his phone all class and either puts up videos or hs pre-written notes on the board for us to write and it doesnt help us learn! the only thing helpful in that school is how to make a social life, how to became a ***** (excuse me for the language) and how to cuse a lot! its a very unorganizaed school and the teachers dont give a damn (excuse me for my language) what the students do! for example there are stairs in school outside and couples sit on there and make out! the admission has there fav students and another example... this kid used to smell tobacco and wen he got told on he got expelled about weeks afterwards... its was so obvious tho cuz he spelled like it and they didnt even call the police.. in another school they would have! also the teachers cuse a lot!

i dont recommend this schoo

Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,840,836 times
Their teaching of grammer, spelling and use of punctuation is lacking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas