Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM

48 posts, read 213,827 times

Advertisements

I figure I can get a home equity loan if and when it becomes a dire need (like if I need to buy an investment property).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,364 times
I am also planning to pay all cash due to the retirement issue. i currently live in another state. I made a full price offer on one home and lost it to another offer that went FHA at a lower price. Is there resistance to selling to cash customers becauase they are preceived as investors and the revenue may go out of state?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 PM

WOW, that's an interesting twist of logic. Good question, what were the circumstances behind that! I bought my last house with cash and got it with a lower price than the guy who offered a finance deal. Then again, I was local. Things that make you go, Hmmmmm...

Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I am also planning to pay all cash due to the retirement issue. i currently live in another state. I made a full price offer on one home and lost it to another offer that went FHA at a lower price. Is there resistance to selling to cash customers becauase they are preceived as investors and the revenue may go out of state?
There are circumstances where first time home buyers get the preference.

You have some special status that says the sellers can't favor someone else?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM

815 posts, read 2,053,334 times
I am in contract for a house I like. Curiously, the 'first' house that I liked was listed at $119,900 and I bid $108,000. It was rejected. Now, after I go to contract with my 'second' choice, I find the first choice listed at $109,900. ! I am an out of state investor, all cash. I might be mistaken, but I take this as strong evidence that there exists a bias against all cash OR out-of-state investors. I welcome comments that tend to allay this feeling. I also welcome comments that tend to support it. What do you think?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 AM

Such bias, if it exists at all in Vegas, I would consider common to many many areas of the country. With the extreme low prices in Vegas and plenty "newbies" moving in I can understand some resentment of the redistribution of wealth in that area. While I'm excited at the opportunities for a home purchase Vegas currently offers I think it might be wise to keep a low profile on the "good deal" you might make. Especially if you find your new neighbors are upside down on their house...

Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There are circumstances where first time home buyers get the preference.

You have some special status that says the sellers can't favor someone else?
Not at all. In my case this property had been on the market for over 9 months, was bank owned and was only 751 sq ft which would not suit most homebuyers.

I'm just trying to educate myself about this market because I want to relocate. If there is a bias, it may be better for me to relocate first then buy.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Not at all. In my case this property had been on the market for over 9 months, was bank owned and was only 751 sq ft which would not suit most homebuyers.

I'm just trying to educate myself about this market because I want to relocate. If there is a bias, it may be better for me to relocate first then buy.
The biases involved would likely be national. It is lenders like Fannie Mae who run such programs.

Note though that Fannie's Home Path program is actually open to investors for 10% down.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM

63 posts, read 86,855 times
I always use to be all for paying cash. This way you avoid interest. Buying a car for 35k could easily end up costing you 50k after interest.

I'm also not a fan of rent either up until the economic crisis. Now that housing is where it is with the mortgage crisis and so on paying rent might just be safer at this point until things get settled. Being commitment free during times like these is a +

Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissam View Post
I always use to be all for paying cash. This way you avoid interest. Buying a car for 35k could easily end up costing you 50k after interest.

I'm also not a fan of rent either up until the economic crisis. Now that housing is where it is with the mortgage crisis and so on paying rent might just be safer at this point until things get settled. Being commitment free during times like these is a +
The classical problem. You only find out 6 months or a year too late that you should have gone the other way. The cusp may be on us...then again it may not be..

Bet your money and take your chances.

My guess is that you should buy soon. But who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: