Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 AM

90 posts, read 316,693 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, do most HOAs restrict the number of strictly indoor animals such as cats? I have 3 and of course would wish to abide by the rules, but if the cats never go outside, then what is the problem? If they discovered that I was over my limit on cats because say, they were all sitting in front of a window at once and someone decided to do a count - then how likely is it that someone would pursue the issue? For the record, I'm not a hoarder and wouldn't get any more, but can't part with the ones I already have. I would understand if they were a nuisance outside, or if they caused an odor, but really, does what goes on inside my house carry as much weight as what goes on outside - such as dogs and landscaping? I know the easy answer is to avoid HOAs, but I may be in a position to where a house within an HOA is my best option based on my other parameters (other than the cats). I'm just wondering how much of an issue inside animals are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I'm a pet lover - an admitted softy!
However, the governing documents give the HOA the right to limit pets. - indoor pets or not. Frankly all pets impact the property. For us, the "good pet owners", our pets are well kept, clean, and do not damage anything. However, pet damage can bring down resale values - even if the damage is limited to the interior of a unit. Pet damage can hinder resale. Even a pet occupied property is more difficult to sell (I hate to admit it, but it's true. In today's market it's impact is only worse.) Much as we try to avoid it -- It's also fair to say that indoor pets can and do "get out" from time to time.

I don't think the answer is to avoid HOA but live in one that works for you. Pet policies vary - some allow 1 pet per unit, some have weight limits, some allow no pets at all. - It's a matter of what works for you. I've sold condos to buyers in a "no pet" HOA and the buyer's were thrilled. It would not have worked for me - but to each their own!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm actually looking at houses in family-oriented neighborhoods and not condos. I would think those would be more lenient. I'm just wondering if HOAs in these types of neighborhoods pursue the inside pet limits if there is not a nuisance factor involved such as odor or noise. Obviously I couldn't hide my dogs, so they would have to be fall within the required weight limits or other limits, but if the cats never go outside, would anyone need to know or would anyone actually care assuming no nuisance factor.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
On occassion HOAs have a two pet limit. More often a weight limit. I would not sweat it though...there are lots of houses without a numeric limit.

In general tracts with good sized yards will be unlikely to limit pets.

Lost my first deal as an RE agent over the issue. Three Chihuahua with a two pet limit. Turned out they could have likely gotten a waiver...it had been done before but it would have taken a couple of months.

There is also a three animal limit in most municipalities. I don't think it exists in the county. You can get a permit for more though. Takes a little doing but not impossible

Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 AM

I have two big dogs (Labs) so obviously I'd have to find a place with no weight restrictions but I'm more worried about overall pet limits in individual neighborhoods. Since the cats don't go outside, I was thinking maybe they wouldn't really count. As I read the Las Vegas restrictions on animals is sounds like 3 dogs AND 3 cats - not either or, but I would be looking in the far NW anyway. Still on the fence about rent vs. buy, but my husband is out there now and thinks he has found a nice rental in a decent school zone, and the owner says pets are ok, but I told him to verify if it is an HOA and the rules on number of pets because of the cats. The owner has one large dog so I know big dogs are ok. Even so, as long as the owner doesn't mind, I'd be tempted to keep the cats regardless and hope for the best even if HOA says 2 or 3 pet limit. I still hate throwing money at rent when a mortgage for the same type of house would be cheaper, but we will only be in town for 3 years. Kids/pets and I don't move out until July, so he still has some time to play with what to do unless he commits to this rental.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I have two big dogs (Labs) so obviously I'd have to find a place with no weight restrictions but I'm more worried about overall pet limits in individual neighborhoods. Since the cats don't go outside, I was thinking maybe they wouldn't really count. As I read the Las Vegas restrictions on animals is sounds like 3 dogs AND 3 cats - not either or, but I would be looking in the far NW anyway. Still on the fence about rent vs. buy, but my husband is out there now and thinks he has found a nice rental in a decent school zone, and the owner says pets are ok, but I told him to verify if it is an HOA and the rules on number of pets because of the cats. The owner has one large dog so I know big dogs are ok. Even so, as long as the owner doesn't mind, I'd be tempted to keep the cats regardless and hope for the best even if HOA says 2 or 3 pet limit. I still hate throwing money at rent when a mortgage for the same type of house would be cheaper, but we will only be in town for 3 years. Kids/pets and I don't move out until July, so he still has some time to play with what to do unless he commits to this rental.

If you were renting a house where I was involved you would get a no or a demand for a six month security deposit. Kids are OK by law and I might buy a cat or a Lab. But kids, two labs and three cats and I am going to take some damage more than half the time.

At three years I would think a good low REO buy has at least a 50% chance of breaking even and probably a 90% including the difference between renting and buying. Two years will cost you a bit.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM

The owner is my husband's co-worker, so we have an in there and I'm sure we will put down a substantial pet deposit anyway. I just have to make sure there are no HOA problems with the pets - I'm not sure if there is an HOA, but I'm guessing - I only have minimum details. Our thing with the house is that we want minimum 2200 square feet, a pool, no HOA, and a decent school in the NW - not sure if we would be able to find a low REO in a decent neighborhood with all that. I'm just hoping this rental isn't associated with an HOA because of the pets - hubby forgot to ask about an HOA when talking with the owner - otherwise it sounds like a go but at $2000 a month I think we could get just as much for less if we bought - I just don't want to be stuck with it at the end of 3 years. That's the reason this guy is renting it out because he bought high and doesn't want to sell low and has to move away.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,386 times
In my experience, there are 3 types of HOAs

1. In Las Vegas many HOAs are actually managed by proprty management companies. You can still have problems as noted below, but it is less likely. The difference is that many residents (including board members) begin to feel more removed from rules enforcement. So the big rules get enforced while the petty drop by the wayside.

2. Where the HOA's board does the enforcing directly, its a 50/50 shot. Whether or not a board's members are passive or agressive, usually the president sets the tone, will determine the level of rules enforcement. Could be anywhere from, you have two weeds...cut em, to, oh well I guess Jim's grass guy didn't show up this week ... we'll wait on that one.

3. Where a board member, it only takes 1, feels it is their sworn duty to uphold the law, things can get very ugly, pitting one neighbor against another. Favoritism sprouts. Cliques are formed. And everyone suffers.

Whether you plan to rent where there is an HOA or purchase where there is an HOA, its all fairly unpredictable. The board's election cycle can change everything dramatically. It only takes one.

Sad truth is ... you can't be sure.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I wouldn't worry as much about the HOA as the city. I believe the city has a restriction of no more than three adult animals per household. Back in the day, when they did come by to check, we just told them we were babysitting for someone if we had more than three critters, and they'd say OK and go away. We did back out of a house at Painted Desert one time because after we put up our earnest money they told us they had a two dog restriction and we had three at the time. Read the CC&Rs before you move in.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:02 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
If there is a pet limit in more area's, how do we explain some of my friends that have 8-9 cats? All indoor.
In my neighborhood, the governing documents state we can have 3 pets max. Then updated docs showed just 2.
Places like Pahrump are more lenient. But it's a long boring drive to Las Vegas.

I have to disagree about Michelles statement above where she says all pets impact the property. I own my own place, my cats use their litter box, never going outside of it. They are senior kitties. Indoor only. Sleep a lot. One is almost 9, the other will be 10 in 2 weeks. They don't wreck the place, and besides it's mine. If they ever did wreck anything, like carpet, I would replace it before I would sell the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas