Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 11,012 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about purchasing a condo in Vegas as a rental property. My original thought was to rent it out by the night, much like a hotel, rather than long term. What areas do you recommend that would be most attractive to visitors? My price range is between 60k-100K.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on renting long term as oppose to renting nightly? Which would generate the most return on the property. Does anyone know the costs charged by a property management company to rent out a condo nightly? I live in Canada so I would have to hire a company to do all the advertising and accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM

482 posts, read 1,375,422 times
The HOA will require minimum terms on leases.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,485,542 times
I have a customer that does that. He has them close to the strip, some are condos, and some are houses. I think around the strip would be better. Most tourist want to stay in that area.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoot View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a condo in Vegas as a rental property. My original thought was to rent it out by the night, much like a hotel, rather than long term. What areas do you recommend that would be most attractive to visitors? My price range is between 60k-100K.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on renting long term as oppose to renting nightly? Which would generate the most return on the property. Does anyone know the costs charged by a property management company to rent out a condo nightly? I live in Canada so I would have to hire a company to do all the advertising and accounting.
It is probably not feasible unless you are a local with pull and a large set of cajones.

You will likely be in violation of the hotel laws. There does exist a permit to do what you want but I do not believe anyone has ever gotten one.

Almost Certain to violate HOA rules. HOAs often have more teeth than the municipality.

People do it but get intense opposition from neighbors and HOAs and the code enforcement people.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 AM

482 posts, read 1,375,422 times
I had a neighbor who did his monthly furnished. Several stayed for months, others just one--it was definitely a grey area.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,714,348 times
pretty much not allowed, due to zoning or HOA rules...

Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM

444 posts, read 1,619,842 times
Gee, who would want to live near a hotelcondo unit. Come to Las Vegas and rent the unit next door to where I live and stay up every night partying till dawn cause you're on vacation. And while you're at it harass my wife and kids, vomit in our common area, urinate wherever you wish and just generally make a nusance of yourself. Afterall, you're on vacation, we just have to live here.

I used to live on the Outerbanks of NC (the coast, like Kitty Hawk). This type of thing was allowed there. It was horrible for the locals. If this ever becomes accepted in Las Vegas, I am out of here.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,012 times
Ok, so no to nightly rental then. Long term rental is ok?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM

444 posts, read 1,619,842 times
How long term is long term?

Since some have done it successfully, you might want to DM them.

I didn't mean to imply not to do it or that it can't be done. I just wanted to point out some possible unexpected consequences.

1 year rentals are a great way to invest for your future. Or 11 month if you want it open for 30 days for family and friend visits. Any way ... Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoot View Post
Ok, so no to nightly rental then. Long term rental is ok?
Las Vegas rental prices have stayed about the same while housing prices have dropped a lot. It is now possible to get positive cash flow off many homes and condos.

If you plan on using the place yourself you might consider 1 to 3 month furnished. You will end up rented more than half the time but you will be able to plan ahead and have the place vacant when you want it so.

Otherwise forgetaboutit. You will end up with someone who is there for 5 or more years and you never get to use the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: