Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM

16 posts, read 37,591 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My husband and I are moving to Vegas in May, and we've been looking all over the north, west, NW, and SW. Ideally we'd want to be in Summerlin or the NW (Lone Mountain, Cheyenne Corridor, Centennial Hills), but after reading many posts on here about NLV, we decided to give it a look. We found a really nice 2267 sq. ft., 3br-2.5ba house for $154,000 in the Hartridge gated community, located in a block bordered to the north by Ann Rd, east by N Commerce, south by Washburn, and west by Camino Al Norte. It's about 10 minutes SE of Aliante (in zip code 89031).

The Hartridge development is very nice, and we decided to put in an offer early on. However, upon further investigation of the neighborhood surrounding Hartridge, we saw other new developments with very nice houses, and also older developments that weren't so hot-looking. The schools aren't so hot, either- we don't have kids yet, but we have think about resale to a potential family that does. It isn't that close to Aliante, either. And it's further from my husband's job than the other areas we were looking at. THAT said, this is touted by the RE agent to be an up-and-coming area. But I'm skeptical- my husband and I only plan to be there 5-7 years. It might take longer than that for it to get up and have come .

I look to you guys for advice- it's not that I don't trust our realtor, but I know you all don't have a commission-driven agenda- what do you think?? Would you do buy it? As I said, we'll only be there about 5 years or so, so maximum resale value is key, I think. What's that area really like, seeing as it's outside Aliante- is it really up-and-coming? Or should we hold out for the other areas in the west? I feel like this is a bit of a risky buy, and if I'm going to take a risk, I'd like to be well-informed. We have to make a decision by 4pm, so we'd really love to hear your thoughts- very soon . Thanks everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,206 times
North Las Vegas is growing quite a bit. I lived at the end of Commerce before there was nothing at all. I have lived in this area for about 8 years and love it. The highschools are not the greatest. There is new shopping that I think will help our area grow quite a bit more. The new shopping center is up the street from 5th and Centennial.

We just bought a forclosure in this area. When I started looking, I only looked in this area because I have lived in the area and I really like it. I have a 4 year old and I love that there are quite a few parks around here for us to go to.

You do get more bang for the buck in North Las Vegas. One of customers just bought a forclosure in Southern Highlands, and paid way more then what we did. Our home is larger, newer, and has a pool.

You have to do what is best for you.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM

482 posts, read 1,371,754 times
I would buy a smaller house in a better area. I saw a two level, 1600 sf, a short walk to the TPC at Summerlin, for 114K. Lower taxes, better schools, less crime.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM

444 posts, read 1,614,777 times
When thinking of resale in 5-7, I would go further NW. I think your gut feeling is right on.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,251 times
I live in 89031 and have a son who attends middle school in the neighborhood. The area overall is I would say average for Las Vegas. The area is still growing. If you can find the house that makes you happy for the right price go for it.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all your input- we've gone with our gut and decided to keep looking. So you may seeposts from me in the future about Summerlin or Lone Mountain or the NW in general. Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,517 times
I live in Centennial Hills, and there are foreclosures all over. Many bargains to be had, and you won't have the car payment-sized HOA fees that you get in parts of Summerlin. The high schools are all relatively new (Centennial, Shadow Ridge, Arbor View), and a new library just opened in January. There is a lot of shopping nearby, and it appears that construction is finally about to start on the new Lowe's that has been promised for a while.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I live in Centennial Hills, and there are foreclosures all over. Many bargains to be had, and you won't have the car payment-sized HOA fees that you get in parts of Summerlin. The high schools are all relatively new (Centennial, Shadow Ridge, Arbor View), and a new library just opened in January. There is a lot of shopping nearby, and it appears that construction is finally about to start on the new Lowe's that has been promised for a while.
Yup, Centennial Hills is a place we've been looking, we definitely like it up there, so we'll see how it goes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas