Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,916 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a four bedroom home on Cockatiel Ave, in Aliante. I think the highschool is Legacy. Would this be a good area? I am hoping to stay in the house atleast 7 years, but I am concerned about the resale value.

Is this a good area? I just moved here about 4 months ago and dont know much about the areas. I am also concerned about the schools, from a resale standpoint. There wasnt much information for Legacy highschool on the internet.

The home is 2200 square feet, the lot about 4000 sq. ft. I believe the builder is Pulte?? But I am not sure. Assessment??? IDK The price is 148K.
The house is near Decatur and Aliante Pkwy, South of the 215.

The neighborhood looks okay. There was a house with a loud crowd in the garage, mid-day when we went to go see the house. I guess that would be a bad sign??

Last edited by Lambie; 02-20-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: More info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,833 times
Square footage? Assessment? Lot size? Builder? Oh, and the price?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambie View Post
I am looking to buy a four bedroom home on Cockatiel Ave, in Aliante. I think the highschool is Legacy. Would this be a good area? I am hoping to stay in the house atleast 7 years, but I am concerned about the resale value.

Is this a good area? I just moved here about 4 months ago and dont know much about the areas. I am also concerned about the schools, from a resale standpoint. There wasnt much information for Legacy highschool on the internet.

The home is 2200 square feet, the lot about 4000 sq. ft. I believe the builder is Pulte?? But I am not sure. Assessment??? IDK The price is 148K.
The house is near Decatur and Aliante Pkwy, South of the 215.

The neighborhood looks okay. There was a house with a loud crowd in the garage, mid-day when we went to go see the house. I guess that would be a bad sign??
With homes going for around $70.00 a sq foot I'd say that's a good deal. My ex-mother-in-law lives in the Sun City part just north of Aliante Station and she paid a lot more for a much smaller place. Of course that was then, this is now. I would not live in that area myself, but right now it's nice.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
To Live in?

Do you have or about to have high school age kids?

Legacy should be better than it is. It is better than Mojave but that does not say a lot.

If you look around Aliante a bit you can end up in Shadow Ridge...a much happier outcome.

Legacy remain a big gamble.

May dig out over a couple of years but I would be concerned until it does.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
If you don't mind that teensy sized lot, I would think much of this is up to you. Subjective issues like "good neighborhood" and "good schools" are self-defined. Quiet is also very subjective. I live on a busy road (small highway) so I tune out a lot of traffic noise. I'm also used to a large family and a couple of drummers in the family, lots of pets. (I would drive most neighbors nuts, I'm sure) $148K and you stay 7 years, your chances are good for some profit when you sell but this market is really hard to predict.
Can you easily afford the mortgage? Is your income safe and stable? Do you have savings in case of a dire circumstance where you can't work for a few months?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Go in low, and don't buy that multiple offer crap. There are lots of homes out there. Plan on making offers on about a dozen, and find out, who is dealing. If they telll you stuff like "I can't get a hold of the listing agent"--move on.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
Go in low, and don't buy that multiple offer crap. There are lots of homes out there. Plan on making offers on about a dozen, and find out, who is dealing. If they telll you stuff like "I can't get a hold of the listing agent"--move on.
don't let a single success go to your head.

Multiple offers generally mean they have multiple offers. Does not tell you that 3 of the 4 are not low balls but the almost always have multiple offers.

Had a house appear yesterday after foreclosure. Have a client been following that house for 6 months as a short. Put in an offer at 4% under list which is about 20% under the short price.

There are already 3 other offers and my guess is that there will be five by Monday. What will it sell for? I would guess about 10% over list.

And at that price it is a great buy.

My guy may miss it...because he does not believe this multiple offer stuff is real.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM

There are still more bank owned homes coming on the market, than are being sold. I was looking at some units over in 89183, that I made offers on (and didn't get a counter). Most are still on the market, now with an ask of less than my no response offers of December. My main point would be to not get attached to one home. It's not worth the time or headache. Make low offers on ones that are suitable, and see who will deal. Some of these listing agents haven't even been inside of their listings.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
There are still more bank owned homes coming on the market, than are being sold. I was looking at some units over in 89183, that I made offers on (and didn't get a counter). Most are still on the market, now with an ask of less than my no response offers of December. My main point would be to not get attached to one home. It's not worth the time or headache. Make low offers on ones that are suitable, and see who will deal. Some of these listing agents haven't even been inside of their listings.
Sorry that is quite untrue. REO inventory is down more than 15% since the start of the year.

Most of these listing agents have not been inside their listings and have no plans to do so. They are running on 1% or 1.5% commission and running as many as 150 homes at a time. They have to sell a couple every day to make their nut. Getting the utilities on after a contract is reached is the maximum participation you can expect.

Low offers are generally not very bright. You make an offer that fits the circumstance. If the property has been on the market 60 days at the list price you should certainly go well under list. If the property has been on the market a day and is 25% under the recent comps you should probably go well over list.

Like many other fields you need to understand what it is you are doing.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
I think that is a good deal, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: