Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,919 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher here in Las Vegas and I have to say that most of the time the schools get a bad rap. Because CCSD is so large the stats include several schools from lower socio economic areas which tend to bring overall scores down.

I do have a daughter that is a freshman at Bishop Gorman and as far as tuition goes, if your wife is a nurse and you end up working for Metro you won't have as hard a time as you may think affording the payment. I am a teacher and my husband is a firefighter and we currently own two homes here and have 3 children in private school.

Las Vegas does pay top dollar for public service jobs, my husband is making more than double what he made in Michigan. I was unemployed in Michigan so I am making 100% more than what I was.

I absolutely hear you about the snow!! Talking to friends and family who still live in Michigan, they are coming off one of the snowiest winters on record!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
To me, leaving Pa. for Las Vegas is a hands down win-win, especially with your occupations. I don't see how you can go wrong. And you already have your brother there as a plus.

Education and schools, I think too much emphasis is put on "the school." Seriously, I think practically every school today offers kids a good education but do they take advantage of it? Usually not. They do exactly as little as possible to get through and have a good time while doing so. Granted, there are some gifted students out there but you know they are the minority. Try to find a school with your same economic and social mix and that's the best one can do.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I am a teacher here in Las Vegas
Las Vegas does pay top dollar for public service jobs, my husband is making more than double what he made in Michigan. I was unemployed in Michigan so I am making 100% more than what I was.
I hope you aren't a math teacher.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
I hope you aren't a math teacher.
Is a 100% MORE THAN ZERO = ZERO? I guess you can't take a per/100 for 0 right? Or am I missing something I hated math myself.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,933 times
I don't think any realtor will tell you it is ever a bad time to buy. If you listen to a variety of opinions on this forum; you will get a good perspective on the situation. Usually, the truth lies somewhere in the middle......And besides, it's all free!

I bought last month, primarily because I needed my own roof over my head. I hate paying rent, and after 6 homes, I just don't have a renter's mentality. I sold my house in Chiangmai, Thailand last Summer, made a few Baht, and had a great experience. I don't think I would put all of my money in RE, right now, but if you do the Math, and are into property management, there are some killer deals out there. Never buy a property that you wouldn't live in yourself.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
for investment, i dont think its a bad time to buy at all, especially if you can get a home for 80k and rent it for more than the mortgage payment....

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
We are about to close on a home that will cost us less then what we are paying rent on now.

We have low rent for our area. I have been looking for about 8 months now and nothing in the ball park of what we are paying now. All at least $50.00 to $300.00 more then what we are paying now.

The new home is in the same area (North Las Vegas), which I love. It is about 1000 square feet more then what we have now, and a pool. We go the home at $64.51 a square foot, can beat that!

Sorry, but I agree, right now is a great time to buy. Paying way less for home-ownership, then for paying for someone else to have tax write offs.

The total payment a month with the payment, taxes and insurance is less then what we pay for rent. Plus got a two year home warranty out of the bank.

mod interpose:

Good post, Bugbully! ...not because I agree or disagree but because you were able to stick to the premise and leave out "naming names."

Let's all remember that criticizing a specific member's post is baiting. We want to be arguing and debating the PREMISE of the topic and not tearing down and criticizing what a specific member is saying by addressing them personally.

And, let's also remember that this is a FORUM. Everybody has the right to express their OPINION. It's up to the reader to determine the value of any member's opinion. In a lot of areas, there is no RIGHT or WRONG answer ...sometimes it's strictly an opinion. Nobody knows where the bottom of any market is for sure. We can all take an educated guess but nobody has a crystal ball and knows for absolutely sure where the real estate market (or the stock market or economy in general) is headed, where the absolute bottom is, or the time frame for recovery. NOBODY.

So let's all respect each others' statements, advice, and opinions and try not to get flame wars going by criticizing any member's statements on the board. Please strive for not mentioning a member's name when wanting to criticize their statements ...endeavor to debate the premise without taking down the writer if at all possible. Not to do so will only result in flame wars and the eventual deletion or closing of some good discussions.

Thanks!

--'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-23-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
very nice, bug..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
very nice, bug..

Thank You!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM

37 posts, read 101,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
We are about to close on a home that will cost us less then what we are paying rent on now.

We have low rent for our area. I have been looking for about 8 months now and nothing in the ball park of what we are paying now. All at least $50.00 to $300.00 more then what we are paying now.

The new home is in the same area (North Las Vegas), which I love. It is about 1000 square feet more then what we have now, and a pool. We go the home at $64.51 a square foot, can beat that!

Sorry, but I agree, right now is a great time to buy. Paying way less for home-ownership, then for paying for someone else to have tax write offs.

The total payment a month with the payment, taxes and insurance is less then what we pay for rent. Plus got a two year home warranty out of the bank.

I'm in the same boat as you BUG. We're buying a home and our total payment is only $40 more than we're paying for renting a 2 bedroom apartment. We're doubling our space, bedrooms, and getting rid of the storage unit (another $170 savings) and couldn't be happier. I'm sure in 6 mos, someone might find a better deal, but I'll take the perfect house at a great price ($53/sq ft) over the gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas