Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,287 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I'm considering Las Vegas as a possible relocation place in the near future. A little about me: I was born and raised in Idaho, but moved away 20+ years ago to Portland, but my job took me to San Francisco and the Reno-Tahoe area during that time. I moved back to Twin Falls, Idaho in early 2007 to help care for my parents; they have both now passed away, with my Mom passing recently.

About me: I'm a 45 year old gay male, but being gay doesn't define me, its just part of who I am. Some people are defined by their gayness; I am me first and sexuality follows. My chosen profession is a paralegal and (not to sound like I'm bragging, but...) I've never had any problem obtaining and keeping a job. Now that I've said that, I'll have a problem next time

Questions: Twin Falls and Idaho, for that matter, are not for me. Being in a "blue" state for so long, it's been culture shock coming back here. What are your opinions of the following: (1) me moving to Las Vegas (2) me moving there and being an openly gay man . . . keeping in mind that I've lived in B.F. Idaho for the last 2 years and had no problem . . . (3) me relative to job prospects in the current economic struggle (4) what your opinion is/are of the best areas to rent at this time, which would be 4 me, no pets and a basic 1 bdrm with central air (necessity), most amenities, etc. and (5) anything you might want to advise me of before I take the plunge.

Regarding $$, I don't have to work immediately or even in the first year I'm there, but I don't want to dip that much into my savings either unless I have to. This is the time to take a chance and having funds makes it all that much easier.

Bottom line is that I want to make an informed decision and, of course, fly down, rent a car and explore the area, but I don't want to waste time exploring anything that, had I asked, I wouldn't even look into. Also any advice on good/bad law firms/lawyers and anything on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your replies.

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,403,737 times
It would be my bet that the legal field would still have promise. I worked in the legal industry for several years (leaving in 2004) so I knew a lot of attorneys, the courts, related industries such as collections, etc. Everything else will fall into place with proper planning, if you have a decent job.

The problem is getting an offer without actually living there. Vegas has always been a transient city so some employers are understandably leery of hiring anyone who isn't at least a resident yet.

You might try some of the headhunters who specialize in legal jobs. Don't overlook court careers either.

I do not think your personal preferences are a negative either. There are all kinds of folks in Vegas. A higher percentage of flakes but nonetheless, a lot of people just like you and me.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks Konakat. I planned on setting up interviews with headhunters, temp agencies and the like when I visit. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
In my opinion you will catch more problems for being 45 than for being gay.

This is not a place where anyone really cares about your sexual orientation.

In general paralegals do well. In fact you may actually be able to get hired without living here. The job is on the borderline. Any lower you got to live here to get hired. Any higher and you don't.

So give it a try. I don't think however that you will find it difficult to find emplyment. May take a month or two but that class of job is easier than many. It is a specialty that is in relatively short supply.

there are any number of places where you can live comfortably. Decide where you will end up working and then pick a place. Much of the lawyering is in the downtown area. And you can actually live there if you wish. In fact you can pick up a loft for $1200 or so a month in the high rises.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 AM

Thanks Olecapt. That's good to know.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM

37 posts, read 101,580 times
Good luck. What I've noticed people pretty much keep to themselves here. I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,616 times
The job market is horrible right now. NV was "Blue" in 2008; but that may be the last time. After the Voters realize what a complete fraud Harry Reed's TARP, Stimulus, and Housing Plans are--he will be doing something he is more qualified to do like shoveling cow pies.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,998 times
Right before the world ends, people will lose their prejudices.

Until then, Las Vegas is a good place for you as you describe yourself. Don't listen to the naysayers or you'll miss a good opportunity. Welcome.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM

22 posts, read 85,698 times
You'd probably like Green Valley. Its nice community, plenty of parks, shopping etc. You always see people out biking, jogging, walking their dogs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: