Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM

10 posts, read 37,408 times

Advertisements

We have 2 boys ages 2 and 12. We're moving from Boston to Las Vegas within 2 months. We're looking to rent a single family home in the Summerlin area. We would also consider Green Valley. My husband has made several trips out there to look at houses, schools, neighborhoods, etc... This is going to be a huge adjustment for all of us! I have alot of questions, mostly reguarding family life in Las Vegas...some are just random...lol.

Summerlin seems very family friendly. What is there to do with the kids? I'm looking for parks, libraries, playgroups, classes, etc........

Private vs public schools....what's the deal? Are the public schools really bad? My son is in the 6th grade, middle school. Should we consider looking into private school?

My 12 yr old is into "extreme" sports like skateboarding, bmx, motocross....is that popular with kids his age there? Are there skateparks in the area?

Obviously the air is dry there...right? It is the desert. The winters here in Ma. are very dry and my 2 yr old has really sensitive, dry skin. I plan to use humidifiers and all....how bad is it really?

I guess that's all for now....I'm sure I'll think of some more questions for you all. I appreciate any input you have. I'm so glad I found this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
please use the search function, but i will say this:

Boston is very different from Las Vegas, very, very different...

It is very dry here to the point where from March-November, I pretty much get a nose bleed every other day...

Summerlin does have the things you listed, although I am not sure about skateparks on that side of town, if they have any, but think about this, entertainment for young adults have been diminishing every year in the last 12 years I've lived here, there's only so many times you can go to the Adventuredome, library, and park. All of the young adult's entertainment has closed over the years to the point where we have absolutely no idea what to do with ourselves...Even some of the movie theaters will not allow entrance after 5 PM for minors...Our water park has closed, music venues have gone, arcades getting smaller and smaller, until they close, traditional mini golf is pretty much gone...

Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
As far as skate parks go, my son came out to visit me when I was there and brought his board. We went to the new skatepark in Anthem/Henderson and it was very good. He is 18 and he loved it. There were kids of all ages and BMX bikes were allowed there too. Everyone got along and respected each other.

They also have a skate rink there too and many kids were playing roller hockey there. There is also a tot playground right there too and they have grills and picnic tables.

Of course, in the summer evenings are basically the only time you will be out there, but that is only a couple months of the year.

The website we checked to show where all of them are and how good they are (especially age-wise) is www.concretedisciples.com

Also, the skatepark in the NW is new, I believe, but it was for younger kids so we didn't go--would most likely be great for your son's age.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 49,062 times
Bblee, yes, it is very dry here. One way I combat that is by drinking a bucketful of water every day. There is a gas-station/convenience store here called Terrible's, and they sell 64-oz insulated drink containers with handles and straws. I fill that up every day and drink it all (sometimes two of them). As long as I am drinking regularly, my scaly skin stays away. In the summer, I fill half with ice and the rest with water, and it stays cold in my car all day- at night, I have even still had a half-melted ice cube or two still in it.

Summerlin is indeed family-friendly, but the traffic is awful too. I prefer the southwest (Southern Highlands, Mountain's edge, Saddle Peak area), as it is easy to get anywhere, and many of the facilities are very new. I will ask my neighbor about the school quality- she has two kids.

Vegas is such an exciting place to live. I feel very spoiled by the fact that I have access to 7-layer chocolate cake 24-7. Not to mention an urban-situated airport (15 minutes from my house), Red Rock Canyon with amazing hikes and rock-climbing just 40 minutes away, and its close proximity to LA. And the growing arts culture is nice too- every month they have First Friday, a local artists' festival where they have tours of galleries and a huge party on Fremont Street downtown.

LVKewelkid, I agree that there needs to be more for young people to do. My niece and her friend came over from the UK for 10 days year before last, and it was hard finding something for them to do that wasn't hokey. But there is Jillian's- what do you think of that?

And Kimba01- thanks for that great link!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
i was kinda talking about Jillians, it recently just closed down about 4 or 5 months ago, meaning there really isn't much left...

Old 02-12-2009, 12:33 AM

25 posts, read 120,055 times
i wonder if you will get a better humidity living experience by renting at The Lakes area which is close to summerlin, southwest side......

Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawg51 View Post
i wonder if you will get a better humidity living experience by renting at The Lakes area which is close to summerlin, southwest side......
That doesn't significantly do anything to the humidity. Even Lake Mead air is dry. Don't worry about the dry air. It's way better than humid air and you get acclimated to it in a few weeks or months. At first you might get "Vegas Throat", a true condition that is caused by a combination of dry air and A/C. But you'll get over it soon enough and will love it here. You will, however, have such a craving for lobster rolls that it will make you crazy. I only saw Boston one time, which was last March, and I loved it there ─ except for the rain and cold, 65mph, wind. But what a nice town ─ all that history, friendly people, and the food is, as they say, to die for. And, yes there are skate board parks all over Las Vegas that are pretty "gnarly". There is/was a BMX park too, but it's not where it used to be so I don't know. I think he will be able to do all that bike stuff out at the Nellis sand dunes. I don't know if it's against the rules, but I see them riding bikes in the skateboard park down the road from me on Alexander and Tenaya. When he gets a little older, Red Rock Canyon is becoming a premier rock climbing attraction for folks from all over the world. And he can get into snowboarding here too. We're also close enough to California for him to get into surfing. Schools are about the same here as everywhere─a bad place to send kids these days. Go private schooling if you can afford it, but if not, Summerlin is probably your best bet for schools. Congratulations. You live in one of the finest cities in the country, in one of the prettiest and historically interesting states─ but you're still movin' on up to the big time.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 AM

10 posts, read 49,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i was kinda talking about Jillians, it recently just closed down about 4 or 5 months ago, meaning there really isn't much left...
Oh No!! I never got a chance to go. How sad!

Business opportunity, anyone?

I once went to a bar somewhere on the west side at which one of my favorite guitarists was playing with his own band, and the opening act was a band of extremely and impressively talented 16-year-olds. The bar, however, was 21 and over.

One of my nieces in the UK recently rented a party venue, hired a band, and threw a party for her 14-18-year-old friends, charging them each an admission price that would pay for all her overhead and leave her a little tidy profit. It is apparently quite common over there for teens, as there is not too much else for them to do. You may wish to consider doing something like that!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the link Kimba!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM

and you too, Buzz! Yes Boston is a great city, but this weather is really wearing on me! I'm not too worried about the dry air out there. DesertDaisy made a good suggestion, drinking alot of water is important. I'm sure my 12 yr old will fit right in. As long as there are places for him to skate and ride, he'll do just fine. I know he'd enjoy snowboarding and surfing, as well! As for the schools, if we get the house in Summerlin, we'll probably try out the public school and see how it goes. Thanks again to Everyone! Keep the info coming...I'm so excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: