Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM

162 posts, read 469,548 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I've got white smoke coming from under the hood of my Subaru Legacy when I turn my car on and billowing into my car when I turn the AC on; basically I need the best mechanic or auto repair shop in Green Valley TODAY, like right now.

Obviously I'm not going to the con artists at Purfect Auto, nor am I going to a stealership. But I need to go somewhere, now, and I know you guys have to know someone reliable, affordable, and trustworthy nearby. Please let me know Because this is an emergency, so any and all fast responses are encouraged! Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,733,962 times
go to Pep Boys, Pecos/Sunset, i can't think of a better place...

Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
go to Pep Boys, Pecos/Sunset, i can't think of a better place...
Funny you should mention that, They failed me actually...charged me $82 for a gas change, tire rotation, and air filter change after quoting me $38 and refused to reverse the charges. They said that since I asked for them "separately" instead of all together in the advertised package, that they had to charge me individuallyMidas wanted $36, Perfec t auto wanted $43. So no Pepe Boys, they are ridiculous...

ANyone heard anything about Auto Tech on Eastern?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,541,540 times
I wouldn't go to Pep Boys on a bet.

If you can get there, take it to Phil at Goodyear on E. Tropicana.

BRUCE SCHER TIRE (http://www.goodyeardealers.com/tropicana/default.asp?ID=5345316778292304&PageData=30439&P=2 - broken link)

Or try Ted Wiens on Warm Springs if that's closest to you. They're locals. Map of 2323 E Warm Springs Rd Las Vegas, NV by MapQuest

TED WIENS TIRE & AUTO CENTERS LAS VEGAS, NV (702) 732-2382

Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM

I just went to get the official diagnosis on whats wrong, and I went to Purrfect Auto in Henderson on Eastern. YIKES! They wanted $2,100 + tax!!! All this to reseal the engine and change the timing belt and water pump on a 1997 Subaru Legacy!! Granted its not a simple oil change, but WHOA!

They pointed out what was wrong, which was great, but it was super shady, because the guy, while seeming nice, was like "If you do it today, I can do it for $1800 out the door including tax." That seemed really odd, like he was a used car salesmen or something...

Anyways, that seems WAAAYYYY overpriced, and Purrfect obviously have terrible reviews, so I want to go somewhere else (somewhere I can trust) and get a fair price.

Any more info on good shops around Henderson/GV? Anyone who helps definitely gets rep points from me and all my friends on CD!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I wouldn't go to Pep Boys on a bet.

If you can get there, take it to Phil at Goodyear on E. Tropicana.

BRUCE SCHER TIRE (http://www.goodyeardealers.com/tropicana/default.asp?ID=5345316778292304&PageData=30439&P=2 - broken link)

Or try Ted Wiens on Warm Springs if that's closest to you. They're locals. Map of 2323 E Warm Springs Rd Las Vegas, NV by MapQuest

TED WIENS TIRE & AUTO CENTERS LAS VEGAS, NV (702) 732-2382
Thanks 4 the advice Buzz, Ted Wiens has yet to call me back after taking my name and number(they were very busy) and about Phil @ Goodyear:
What have you had done there? Fair priced? Any details are appreciated. Thanks again

Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Funny you should mention that, They failed me actually...charged me $82 for a gas change, tire rotation, and air filter change after quoting me $38 and refused to reverse the charges. They said that since I asked for them "separately" instead of all together in the advertised package, that they had to charge me individuallyMidas wanted $36, Perfec t auto wanted $43. So no Pepe Boys, they are ridiculous...

ANyone heard anything about Auto Tech on Eastern?
very strange, i just went there for the same thing on Wednesday and paid 38 dollars and they gave me a mail in rebate too for 15 dollars, we always take our cars there and never have a problem...

Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,167,341 times
let me guess 2.5 engine on the subaru? 1 of three things happening... 1. there is a small pipe that carries coolant that either rusted or popped.. top of the motor 2. water pump leaking 3. blown headgasket.. very very very common on that vehicle.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
let me guess 2.5 engine on the subaru? 1 of three things happening... 1. there is a small pipe that carries coolant that either rusted or popped.. top of the motor 2. water pump leaking 3. blown headgasket.. very very very common on that vehicle.
Ahhh, actually this is the 2.2 liter, you definitely know your Subarus though , cuz you're right about the 2.5s; the head gasket issues with the 1995-2000 2.5s are why I specifically sought out the 2.2 liter engine(which are supposed to be bulletproof )

As to theory #1, I checked the coolant first thing, and its fine, and full, no leaks, which is good. As for #3, the gaskets fine for now, hasn't seized and is ok. Now, it could be #2, but they said they didn't see leaking water, just a lot of oil... Basically I need to reseal the engine and while they are doing it, get my 90,000 mile scheduled maintenance done, which includes a new water pump and timing belt, so the water would'nt be an issue either way.

(sigh). So we shall see

Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,167,341 times
white smoke is usually coolant.. i wish i could remember the little pipe leak.. i had this problem before.. i believe it was a tube, real small 3-4 inch and thin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: