Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,629 times

Advertisements

Hoping you guys can help me out. I am going to be moving out to Vegas from NJ probably within the next 6 months. I was wondering what you guys think of Silverstone Ranch? I have been checking it out online and prices seem really good in that complex.

Also any other gated communities in safe areas you can reccommend? I am looking to stay away from anything too close to the strip as I heard it is pretty bad there.

And if anyone can tell me a little about what its like to live in vegas as a non-tourist that would be helpful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
To live in Vegas as a non tourist is just like living anywhere else as a non-tourist. Only warmer. At least from a Midwesterner's experience. And the people I ran into, were SO much friendlier. Some would disagree with me on that, but that was my experience.

I am back in MI now, hopefully not for long, and I can't wait to go back. I cannot stand MI living anymore. Apparently lots of others can't either because they are either leaving or just extremely grumpy.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Ask olecapt about Silverstone Ranch. From what I hear it has been hit very hard by foreclosures. I live around the corner in Santa Bella, which is also gated but much smaller (if I had to guess I would say 40 homes or so), and I absolutely love it. Next door is Stone Mountain and prices have come way down in that small gated community as well. Around the corner on Cimmaron is Tolbert's Mill. All single story and gated, and prices have come way down there as well. All of these communities are within one block of each other.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 17,629 times
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to stay away from Silverstone given the massive amounts of foreclosures. I am now looking more in general over Centennial hills for a more established community. seems like there are good deals there and the neighborhoods are more stable.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishluck View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to stay away from Silverstone given the massive amounts of foreclosures. I am now looking more in general over Centennial hills for a more established community. seems like there are good deals there and the neighborhoods are more stable.
I don't know that I would stay away necessarily, but if you do look in there just be very aware. Not sure the impact the foreclosures will have on the HOA's and the master plan's financial outlook, but you will definitely want to take that into consideration.

On another note, there are many terrific gated communities throughout the 89131 and 89143 zip codes. There are VERY good deals here (some running into the $85-$90 a sq ft range) and I personally love this area. Considering I grew up in suburban Orange County as well as the Inland Empire and North County San Diego, I feel that Centennial Hills is very comparable to any other middle class to upper middle class suburb in any MSA in the nation (also spent some time in the suburbs south of Seattle). Love the schools, love the amenities, don't mind driving across town when I absolutely have to. I know that there are quite a few other posters on here that live in the area as well, and I'm pretty sure they share my opinion.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,615 times
I live in Silverstone Ranch. We back up to the golf course and have great views of the mnts. Now is the time to buy here. There are great deals! Prices are great compared to a couple years ago, so why not? It is a quite and clean neighborhood. We looked for months and this is were we landed. There is an orchard within biking or walking distance for all the fresh fruit and veggies you might want. And on the other corner is a smaller "farm" where you can buy fresh eggs, honey, and jams. Who would have thought about that in Vegas! Also we are with in walking distance to a big Park with lakes, and hiking. The economy may be bad but you wouldnt know it, I see golfers out on the course starting at 7:30ish in the am- 4 or 5ish. Nothings stoping them, so I doubt that the HOA is going to be effected much. Good luck, this is a crasy city to house hunt in. And make sure when you are looking to not get your heart set on something, cause you will be in for bidding wars. Investors are swallowing up these homes!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
General rule of thumb in Silverstone is be careful at the lower end of the market. The investor penetration is very high and more than half rentals is generally a bad condition for a residental neighborhood. That is a good rule in the whole NW. Check the non owner occupied...if above half don't. If above 25 or 30% think carefully.

The upper end of Silverston is fine. There are also a number of gated communities in that general area. One of our favborites is Tule Springs Ranch though that is around 300K upwards down from 600K upwards.

Note though that the safest community for virtually any purpose in Las Vegas is Sun City which is not gated.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 18,877 times
I currently live in the Silverstone Ranch community and love it. The floor plans at great and Pulte is the top builder in the market based upon their #1 & #2 JD Power ratings the last couple of years.

There were a good number of investors who bought in this community early on that never moved in so there is a good probably that a house you look at may never been lived in. So a good number of them are in really good condition compared to comparables around the valley.

I've been in residential development in Vegas for 10+ years and I'm currently working as a Realtor. If you would like to know more I can provide you with the name to my brokerage? I'm here to help.

RR16

Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,713 times
This question is directed to anyone, like missy1979, who currently lives in Silverstone Ranch. I'm currently renting in LV and looking to buy. I hear that the HOA fees in Silverstone Ranch are in upwards of $225 per month. This seems very high. So my question is: what do the HOA fees cover? If the HOA fees cover such things as trash pickup, community center, etc., it might be worth it. My wife and I like Silverstone Ranch, but an extra $225 per month with no knowns as far as what the fees cover, is making us want to look elseware for our future residence.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Only in the guard gated community. The gated communities are like $110 and the non gated are around $55.

Manned guard gates are always costly. That is however only a part of Silverstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: