Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM

52 posts, read 213,192 times

Advertisements

mod cut: is my Realtor and he sent me a condo that was to be auctioned off. It was off of Washington and Rock Springs and it was listed for $20k.

How can they sell condos for $20k?

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-21-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Realtor contact information not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM

595 posts, read 2,309,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Barry's reference is an auction. And it is not possible to tell what kind of shape.

However they are clearly going REPO at less than $50 psf. A good buy would be $45 or even $43 psf. So no more than 50K for 1100SF. And at $50 it should be in very nice shape.

Place has a bad case of the foreclousre blues.

Appear to be renting at about 750 to 850. Three months of inventory.
Capt.,
I'm showing that as a sale to Robert A. Johnson, from LaSalle Bank. A bank sale to a private party. Could have been an auction, but that was the winning bid. 2/2 912 sf.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

95 posts, read 245,858 times
Default why is condo there so cheap?

> However they are clearly going REPO at less than $50 psf. A good buy would be $45 or even $43 psf. So no more than 50K for 1100SF. And at $50 it should be in very nice shape.

olecapt,

Why are condos there so cheap? These prices are much lower than the $80 psf for houses in the NW. If one can buy a condo for $50k and rent it for $750/month, it seems to me that these condos are (much) better investment opportunities than small houses in the beloved NW area. Am I missing something? Please comment.

Are there many such condo deals available in LV today?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
dont forget that the condos usually have higher maintenance fees also... $130-$150 as compared to $30-$50 vs a house

Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,692,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlady View Post
I like it because I am hoping having the metro substation so close will deter the bad people coming in therefore keeping the value up.
or the noise and traffic from the substation could keep the quality of living and value down...

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
Capt.,
I'm showing that as a sale to Robert A. Johnson, from LaSalle Bank. A bank sale to a private party. Could have been an auction, but that was the winning bid. 2/2 912 sf.

It may well have been that rarest of birds an absolute auction...or it may have been trashed. The pictures don't look bad though.

A single outlier like that won't move the base line much.

It could be the lead though of a further drop in Rock Springs Vista...simply too soon to say.

Nothing presently listed though at any where near that price. I would be very careful in there until some more sales appear. The one going down on Eldora would be interesting.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 PM

95 posts, read 245,858 times
Hi Olecapt,

I hope you will answer the questions in my earlier post. I am curious about why condos in what appears to be a safe neighbourhood are sold for $43-50 PSF while houses in the NW are sold for $80 PSF. Why is there such a big price difference? More importantly, in your expert opinion, do you agree that, as investment properties, condos in safe neithbourhoods at $50 PSF are equally good as or even better than houses in the NW at $80 PSF?

The assumption here is that a 2/2 1000 sf condo will cost about $50k to buy and will bring in $800/month in rent, while a 3/2 1500 sf house in the NW will cost about $120k to buy and will bring in $1100/month in rent.

Other real estage gurus on this board are also welcome to send in your comment.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmiley View Post
Robert Adams ( crehadams@gmail.com ) is my Realtor and he sent me a condo that was to be auctioned off. It was off of Washington and Rock Springs and it was listed for $20k.

How can they sell condos for $20k?
Your agent should have explained to you the nature of auctions. Neither auction nor list prices mean much.

In the last quarter there was one sale in that area at $65,000 and another at $87,000.

Perhaps you might consider finding a new agent.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM

54 posts, read 165,036 times
So is it safe to say if you can get a condo at less than $43 sq foot and the location is good and the condition is good (enough) it is a good investment as a rental??? I understand being a landlord has it's challenges but I can't imagine prices at this low end can go much lower and even if it did, it will be short lived.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,573 times
I bought several condos near the top of the market and I still make money off of them. It's all about getting the right financing. If you have any common sense you should be able to tell when a deal is good or bad. Right now is obviously a great time to buy, so if you're thinking about doing it you should get on it quickly. Obviously the challenge right now is coming up with the money and/or getting financing.. banks are tight and people don't seem to think that giving up cash is a good idea. I am currently looking at purchasing 2 more <a href="www.panoramatowernorth.com> Las Vegas condominiums</a>. I am literally going to buy them and let a friend of mine be the landlord. I can pay him and still make money, because prices are so unbelievably low. I'm not trying to be spammy or salesy, but if you click on the embedded link it will take you to one of the places that I have been strongly considering purchasing from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: