Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 36,365 times

Advertisements

Hey, we will be moving soon to the Summerlin community. We noticed that the two main middle schools in Summerlin are Becker and Rogich. I was just wondering which of the two are better? I've looked at test scores and they are marginally different. I think both are good. Becker is about a decade older so I'm guessing a little more run down but has the supplies. Rogich seems newer but just wondering. Can anyone help please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I have worked with both. Rogich is better hands down. They have good afterschool programs, experienced staff and parents seem happy working iwht the staff.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Rogich is 73% white and asian. Becker is 60%. Rogich is 11% Free Lunch...Becker is 30%.

Demographics always take their toll.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM

I've read here that Becker is a Blue Ribbon School what does this mean. Also, I have seen here that Rogich is the 2nd best middle school in town. I do understand that demographics do take a toll, and zoning. So is Becker in a less desirable part of Summerlin? It says Becker did the best on the Nevada Writing proficiency examination but Rogich did the best in math. I am more looking towards quality teachers and outstanding administration. I also, see that the campus of Rogich seems more cluttered in a compact space, Beckers seems bigger on the Google maps. I've called some friends down there and they say Becker is the best but Rogich is just as good, but they have also suggested Leavitt, Molaky, Cadwallider, Greenspun, Webb, and Miller? My friends who have kids at Rogich say that it is a "tough love" school, where teachers are arrogant and prideful. Becker also has a smaller population whereas rogich is overcrowded, can this be a problem?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnavarro1 View Post
I've read here that Becker is a Blue Ribbon School what does this mean. Also, I have seen here that Rogich is the 2nd best middle school in town. I do understand that demographics do take a toll, and zoning. So is Becker in a less desirable part of Summerlin? It says Becker did the best on the Nevada Writing proficiency examination but Rogich did the best in math. I am more looking towards quality teachers and outstanding administration. I also, see that the campus of Rogich seems more cluttered in a compact space, Beckers seems bigger on the Google maps. I've called some friends down there and they say Becker is the best but Rogich is just as good, but they have also suggested Leavitt, Molaky, Cadwallider, Greenspun, Webb, and Miller? My friends who have kids at Rogich say that it is a "tough love" school, where teachers are arrogant and prideful. Becker also has a smaller population whereas rogich is overcrowded, can this be a problem?

Both are top ten schools. Rogich is pure Summerlin. Becker draws from some areas less advantaged. A more cosmopolitan clientele. More poor folk at Becker.

I don't think you can go wrong on either. I would however note that the Becker zoning is more at risk for High School. Rogich is probably solid PV but Becker is both PV and Cimmaron Memorial. And as the PV overcrowding plays out I would expect more of Becker may get rezoned. So consider the High School zoning as well. And note that you don't want to be too close to the PV eastern boundary.

If you throw in Miller, Webb and Greenspun you simply confuse the issue. They are in the same class. You want to live west or southeast. Make up your mind on that first. Note that these feed Coronado which is the best of the "general" high schools. However there is much rezoning talk in that area so you name your poison.

Leavitt is similar and in some ways more stable. But you are now into cowboyville. That area of the NW is such that most people who like Summerlin won't like it. A little too variable and freestyle for the Summerlin folk.

You want the best out? Live wherever and send the kid to Meadows. If Carolyn don't kill him she will make a scholar and an achiever out of him. Costs big bucks though.

Last edited by olecapt; 12-21-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the help. Is Cimmaron Memorial a bad school? And Overcrowding, the area we love is in the trails Country Rose from what I remember. Could that be rezoned to another school. I was just wondering because we also like an development called The Vineyards. One is for Becker and one for Rogich. The PV eastern do you mean like east of Hualapai or Rampart. And rezoning am i safe in either one.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnavarro1 View Post
Thanks for all the help. Is Cimmaron Memorial a bad school? And Overcrowding, the area we love is in the trails Country Rose from what I remember. Could that be rezoned to another school. I was just wondering because we also like an development called The Vineyards. One is for Becker and one for Rogich. The PV eastern do you mean like east of Hualapai or Rampart. And rezoning am i safe in either one.
That is really good Summerlin. Don't sweat the details. That will end up in PV come hell or high water or I don't know anything about local politics. Count on the facts those folk take real good care of each other. Go to any middle school zoned...you can't go wrong.

Now stop sweating the details...you are among the folk who will make it come out right every time.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
Default Rogich may be rezoned

"Also discussed at the meeting were Sig Rogich Middle School and Walter Johnson Junior High School.

Before count day, Rogich was one of only two middle schools in the Las Vegas Valley over capacity by more than 8 percent. Rogich was 10 percent over and Hyde Park Middle School was 12 percent over. However, Hyde Park is a magnet school, therefore it's easy to control its population, Dattoli said.

Just east of Rogich is Johnson, which sat at 23 percent under capacity.

A previously approved proposal moved students living east of Hualapai and south of Charleston from Rogich to Johnson.

A second proposal would move those students as well as students living east of Hualapai and south of Orient Express."

excerpt from District considers school boundary realignments - Las Vegas Sun

We live right by Becker middle school. Most of the parents here only have good things to say about it. I have a lot of friends on the PTA board at Lummis and many of them volunteer up at the school.

As of right now I am not going to worry about rezoning for Palo, since we have a school board member in the neighborhood who's kids attend Palo and Becker. And my kids may end up at a Magnet highschool. You never know.

By the way, the only way to almost guarantee going to the school of your choice is to live right by it. I hate rezoning. Happened to us right before we moved here. There were so many ticked off parents who sold their homes to keep their kids in the same school.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,083 times
I say Rogich is much better. Rogich has the highest C.R.T scores in the district while Becker only has us in Writing P. We are also a better located and taken care of school. In my opinion Becker really needs to be remodeled. As said before in a former comment Rogich does have better after school activities. Lastly Rogich beats Becker in sports such as:Basket Ball, Tennis, Run Club, Cheerleading, and Dance. (Rogich also hits Becker below the belt in Orchestra and Band contests)

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,692 times
Both are comparable schools, both are in fine area's of Summerlin. As for test scores, 2 percent differences really isn't a major problem and Miller M.S. has the highest test scores. The outside of Becker looks older but still very nice, the inside, beside the color of the lockers is very nice, just as nice as Rogich, with plantation and grass. The Boys basketball team at Rogich is better, while the girls at Becker are better, tennis teams don't compete in M.S., the cross country team at becker placed 2nd at the event at Palo behind Johnson M.S. while Rogich didn't even place. The cheerleading team at Rogich is number 1 in the county, while the dance team at becker is number 1 in the county. Rogich's orchestra is better, while Beckers band is better. It is very comparable, both have amazing staffs, as a student I went to both due to rezoning and moving. The people are the same, there really isn't anyting one school offers more than the other. Rogich is accredited statewide, and Becker is to, but Becker one the national Blue Ribbon of Excellence a few years back. You really can't choose, not much of a difference, I loved both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas