Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 PM

23,226 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

There are many different versions of suicide. Alcoholics, drug addicts, workaholics, are all on suicide paths, but it just takes longer for them to reach their goals. But are these people included in the suicide rates in this country?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
I believe suicide is a personal thing based on how strong an individual can be. Should not really have anything to do with your area or surroundings. If I can make it through Iraq 3 seperate times, anyone can make it through anywhere in the states.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i respect ur service and everything but

hmm maybe you were raised in a priviledged wealthy area and going to a place like Iraq, you are on a mission and u get to go back to ur comfort in ur nice neighborhood.

You know u will be away from that place, therefore its less depressing. Its VERY important for where someone lives since they are there day to day and it can mean life and death, thriving or rotting, messing up in life there or not messing up somewhere else.

You are not in someone's head, so how can u even judge what someone is going through?

Honestly u sounded ridiculously thoughtless and pompous to speak like that.
Since joining the Air Force I have known 3 friends/co-workers to commit suicide. I have also encountered over 20+ people that were at high risk for suicide. I volunteer for the military's "suicide prevention program" and I get to see this stuff first hand. I have seen attempted suicides in basic training, technical school, Okinawa Japan, Deployed to Iraq and Kwait.

From my personal experience the majority of the time the reason for someone to feel depressed enough to even contemplate suicide is because of relationship issues, drug/alcohol abuse, deployments, work stress and some kind of other addiction(ie gambling).....

I wasnt raised in some nice cushy neighborhood like maybe you have. I was raised right across the street from some mean real deal projects in Savannah GA. Also had to deal with racism, a crack head for a mom and a couple other ill fates I wont mention on here. But you get the picture. If anyone should be thinking about ending it all, should have been me. Im a strong minded person and I know how to brush problems off of my shoulders. Plus with the help of the Lord I feel nothing should push you to the edge but weakness.

By the way I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and going back next year. I hate the fact that I have to go back but oh well, at least I have a career and not homeless.

Maybe Im just optimistic

Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 AM

71 posts, read 190,922 times
so is it safe to say the OP offed himself before he moved to Vegas?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,668,487 times
No, this is just an old thread that got dug up. The OP got banned for being a subqutanious twit. A simple rule of thumb around here is to not drag up threads that haven't had a new post in several months. It'll save you from looking like a no0b, and us regulars arranging for a small "accident" to happen.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM

458 posts, read 1,671,414 times
I personally think the high suicide rate might just be related to the cockroach rate. You never know.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Many a suicidal tourist and or resident, having come to Las Vegas to try and reverse their life misfortunes by "hitting the big one", or, having indulged themselves to the extent that they are financially broke, lost everything and despondent, choose to "take the leap of faith" in some form or another while here.

Many of them view Las Vegas as their last chance to turn their luck around.

Sad, and perhaps intervention/therapy/medication would have helped these folks, but Las Vegas can't fix people's already broken lives.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Definitely a relocation thread, albeit one for the "don't do it" side...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Historically people have been concerned about a high suicide rate in NV since statehood. It is actually higher outside of Vegas than in it.

I believe there is a study that pretty well demonstrates that LV tourists don't off themselves any worse than visitors elsewhere.

Guess we just off ourselves when we get in the mood and for some reason have the will to carry it out. Might even be a good thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
do you have any idea how fast your money can disappear at a high stakes crap game?
And when the money is gone, not available to spend, in this city, you'll find it's not any more interesting to live in than than Souix Falls, South Dakota.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Yeah LIS123,

To olecapt, can you tell me why suicide is a southwest thing? Is it because the southwest was, to a significant degree, originally settled or populated by individuals and not large groups of people like in the east coast?
Given the large numbers of people who have come to the Southwest, seeking something new or different, is a factor. Myself, if I had stayed in Minnesota another winter I would have been a suicide statistic for that state. All these others who came here, might have been on the brink of suicide trying to escape their environments, and had they stayed there, they might have become a suicide statistic back there.

Once here, disappointed, depressed and opportunities don't pan out, they soon think: Well, do I want to commit suicide back in the Midwest (or wherever) or do it here, having lost hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas