Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM

14 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

I just have to laugh. I have been out there two months now from Long Island and I have never seen anything like it. I think the whole town needs a driving lesson. No signals, abrupt lane changes, being cutoff, the list goes on and on.
I mean what is the deal with the roads here?? Why are there no stripes painted on the roads? All there is are these reflectors to differentiate what lane you are in. Of course, theses get dirty and you can't see them very well, especially at night. I also just love the fact that you will be driving in the right or left lane and it suddenly ends with out ANY warning. It just friggin ends. Whoever designed the roads must of been on a lot of Meth.
Overall it is not that bad living here. Not great but not that bad. The people are friendly overall. The food sucks if you are used to NY food. The movie theaters are great. The traffic is not as bad as NY. I hope I can make it through the summer.
I think the best part of LV is Boulder city. Great town. Nice cafe's no crime and no stupid $5.99 buffet signs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmi227 View Post
I just have to laugh. I have been out there two months now from Long Island and I have never seen anything like it. I think the whole town needs a driving lesson. No signals, abrupt lane changes, being cutoff, the list goes on and on.
I mean what is the deal with the roads here?? Why are there no stripes painted on the roads? All there is are these reflectors to differentiate what lane you are in. Of course, theses get dirty and you can't see them very well, especially at night. I also just love the fact that you will be driving in the right or left lane and it suddenly ends with out ANY warning. It just friggin ends. Whoever designed the roads must of been on a lot of Meth.
Overall it is not that bad living here. Not great but not that bad. The people are friendly overall. The food sucks if you are used to NY food. The movie theaters are great. The traffic is not as bad as NY. I hope I can make it through the summer.
I think the best part of LV is Boulder city. Great town. Nice cafe's no crime and no stupid $5.99 buffet signs....
Actually last summer I had need to drive around LI a good bit...out Patchoque way. I found the drivers much in need of re-education and the roads in terrrible shape. It seems reasonably odd that an affluent community like Long Island can't afford street signs. I know the Island reasonably well but it sures has degraded over the last 25 years. And half the street signs in Patchoque must be missing.

I would also point out is is always pleasant to get back from LI. Get to eat reasonably well again. And the food prices are outrageous.

My wife finds shopping quite unpleasant. People push forward for service rather than waiting their turn. She apparently got into hot words with a local who jumped in front at a Deli counter after she took her number and waited over 10 minutes.

And my Mother has sworn off her favorite restaurant after they raised the price of mussels in wine sauce to $12. She claims that to be outrageous.

You wonder how people live in those places.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
YGB

29 posts, read 111,038 times
Driving in Vegas is an experiance you won't soon forget. I admit I'm one of those defensive drivers who tend to speed up and slow down at the drop of a hat. But I'm just trying to stay alive on the I-15

Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
The drivers in Vegas come from all over the country! Sure, there are bad drivers here, just like any other city in the USA and other countries.
Alot of the bad drivers don't have licenses and are here illegally. Figure that one out. duh!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 145,315 times
I agree with the original poster, drivers in Vegas are HORRIBLE. It's almost like they're just naturally bad drivers. In southern California, people try to be bad drivers. In Vegas, it just comes naturally. You've really gotta watch your back (and front and sides) if you don't want to get ran over there.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:58 AM

30 posts, read 203,168 times
I am also from LI and nothing is like this town,, there are too many cars not enough roads and too many bad drivers,, people take their retarded driving skills wherever they come from and bring them here,, you have to go slow because of the constant congestion and the poorly designed roads

Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Default Drivers

If you want to experience rude, lousy, ignorant drivers--try driving in Wisconsin. Not to mention that at any given time half of em are drunk. Was an OTR driver so I've seen a lot. Drivers here in L.V. aren't the best--I'll give you that. They are also not the worst. Red light running is a major concern here though--that is for sure!!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaAZ View Post
I agree with the original poster, drivers in Vegas are HORRIBLE. It's almost like they're just naturally bad drivers. In southern California, people try to be bad drivers. In Vegas, it just comes naturally. You've really gotta watch your back (and front and sides) if you don't want to get ran over there.
The majority of drivers here are from Southern Calif. So i see the bad driving just comes naturally for them.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,448 times
Default Driving in Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The majority of drivers here are from Southern Calif. So i see the bad driving just comes naturally for them.
Driving in Las Vegas isn't that bad really, people still have that sense of discipline. I tried driving in Manila, yikes! I remember somebody told me, "well baby, you're on your own"! hehe....we still follow the law here, there? well , there is no law LOL

Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
I love Vegas driving.Looks like dangerous fun.I think it's crazier than CA driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: