Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times

Advertisements

Well its 100% now.

Im getting stationed at Nellis Air Force Base by this coming January. I am currently stationed in South Korea(Kunsan). I put down Vegas as my last choice for my desired location to get stationed. I listed England, Italy, Japan, Germany, Guam and then Vegas. I guess it was meant for me to come back to the states. LOL.

Anyway...

Since there was a good chance I was going to get stationed at Nellis, I was already researching the local areas and reading this section of the forum often. I visited Vegas last year so I am pretty aware of the layouts and neighborhoods around the base. I even checked out the Summerlin and Henderson areas even though I dont think I can make that commute back and forth twice everyday to work.

My question...

Is it worth having a Nevada ID/Drivers license to benefit from all the local resident perks that Vegas has to offer? Such as Discounts and other incentives. If so, will my military ID be enough to prove that I am a local in Vegas and not a tourist. I am from Georgia and I still have my Georgia state license.

Just curious.

Also will be happy to take any advice on places/areas to live in Vegas. Does not matter if they are Apts/Houses/Condos...etc.

I can afford up to about $1200 a month in rent. I will have reliable transportation and would like to have a 3 bedroom.(Im single by the way).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,034,210 times
to live - look at the north/northwest areas... you will need the nevada id to receive the perks such as the free shows (i dont believe a military id shows a local address but i am not sure) and you should be able to find a nice house in your price range...
the one thing i will stress, is that since you will be renting, make sure that the owner of the house is NOT in foreclosure... would not be fun to receive a notice to move once you were here and settled...
anyway congrats and thanks for the service.. glad you are coming home!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:36 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
I agree that N or NW is a good choice. The neighborhoods are good, and it's pretty much a straight shot down 215 to get to the base. We used to live at the north end of Decatur, just west of Aliante, and we saw a lot of airmen around the local stores and whatnot, so I assume it's a good choice if you're stationed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
one thing i will stress, is that since you will be renting, make sure that the owner of the house is NOT in foreclosure... would not be fun to receive a notice to move once you were here and settled...
Been there!

The first house we rented when we moved here (the one I mentioned above) was foreclosed on after we were there for about 10 months. The realtor representing the owner tried offering it to us as a short sale. Eight months later, the house was on the market as bank owned for $100k UNDER what they offered it to us for...

Yes, be careful who you rent from. It's a hassle getting settled and then having to pick up and move again... Before we selected the house we're in now, I had it checked out (it's nice having family in the title business ) and it's still owned by the original buyers, who bought it new in 1985.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,034,210 times
i know that there is a way to check foreclosure status on the internet.. maybe one of the other guys will chime in to point you in the right direction. North end of decatur, right by me, fantastic area.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,485,502 times
Aliante in the city of North Las Vegas...great commute time to the base...and that master plan community is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Becoming a "real" Las Vegan..by means of getting a Nevada ID and such. Anybody without a Nevada driver's license is classified as a tourist... It also depends on how long you're gonna be here. If it's a three year tour...then do it.

While the "perks" of proving you are a local Las Vegan do not amount to a lot, you're best calling card is your military service.

Las Vegas LOVES our military people and we love our air force base. Don't be bashful to tell any box office/ticket person that you are an enlisted service person stationed at Nellis.

Good luck to you, and welcome von....

Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 PM

207 posts, read 908,218 times
While I was in I preferred to have whichever state's license I could get only because if I business wanted a local ID and I presented my military ID they would use my ss # as an ID # which I didn't like at all.

The local ID is useful for stuff like Show Tickets 4 Locals and some of the other deals that float around out there. I am sure there wouldn't be too much of a fuss if you showed a bill to a local address along with the military ID but you never know.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,854,746 times
Quote:
i know that there is a way to check foreclosure status on the internet.. maybe one of the other guys will chime in to point you in the right direction. North end of decatur, right by me, fantastic area.

Best and most accurate way to check is to call the county recorder's office at (702) 455-4336.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM

42 posts, read 146,044 times
We have had no problems getting local discounts and we do not have a NV license, everywhere has seemed happy with a local address or our ID.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
to live - look at the north/northwest areas... you will need the nevada id to receive the perks such as the free shows (i dont believe a military id shows a local address but i am not sure) and you should be able to find a nice house in your price range...
the one thing i will stress, is that since you will be renting, make sure that the owner of the house is NOT in foreclosure... would not be fun to receive a notice to move once you were here and settled...
anyway congrats and thanks for the service.. glad you are coming home!
You welcome...

A military ID does not show an address on it. I have been hearing a lot about housing scams from owners in foreclosure and this is probably the only thing that worries me. Isnt there a web site that shows helpful info about this?

Will I be able to get a Vegas ID(not drivers license) just by having a local address? Is there a grace periode?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I agree that N or NW is a good choice. The neighborhoods are good, and it's pretty much a straight shot down 215 to get to the base. We used to live at the north end of Decatur, just west of Aliante, and we saw a lot of airmen around the local stores and whatnot, so I assume it's a good choice if you're stationed here.

Been there!

The first house we rented when we moved here (the one I mentioned above) was foreclosed on after we were there for about 10 months. The realtor representing the owner tried offering it to us as a short sale. Eight months later, the house was on the market as bank owned for $100k UNDER what they offered it to us for...

Yes, be careful who you rent from. It's a hassle getting settled and then having to pick up and move again... Before we selected the house we're in now, I had it checked out (it's nice having family in the title business ) and it's still owned by the original buyers, who bought it new in 1985.
This is exactly why I was thinking on taking the easy route and getting a nice apartment instead. At least I know there wont be any surprises. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas