Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I think I was definitely more nervous than my daughter about this first day. She has already texted me that she met a girl with the same name. That's good.

Traffic on the way there, OTOH, was a mess. Now, I know school traffic always stinks, but with the lights out on Horizon and Cardelina-terrible.
Plus, not really knowing how the process went did not help matters. I would have at least thought a cop would be directing that mess at the intersection. What is up with no lights there anyway? I have already seen a few accidents.

I know it becomes a 4-way stop, but when you just come up on it and noone knows whose turn it is...well-recipe for disaster. Add in school traffic and yikes!! I was glad to make it back safely! I hope she meets some kids to walk with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM

172 posts, read 558,771 times
Kimba I'm right there with you. I caught myself doing 25 in the 15 mph area after leaving the school and I almost had a heart attack. I love that they have such a slow speed limit but I wasn't used to it. I don't want to be one of those people you saw getting into accidents.

I was happy to hear that my kids had a good first day too. It is always stressful when we move to a new school which is very often being in the military.

I'm sure it will go smoother for us in no time!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
The first day of school usually has more traffic especially for elementary and middle schools. Then it should thin out. Until we move we will have to drive our son to school, then he will have a very short walk.

Glad everyone's kids had a good first day.

Times have changed he told me boys and girls can not sit together at lunch or in computer class, he is in middle school.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
School traffic is definitely bad, but it does not have to be. Unfortunately many parents do not want to take a couple of seconds to yield so traffic will move out of their smoothly and it really jams everything up. Sitting there with your blinker on trying to pull out into the street while cars just keep pulling up next to you is quite frustrating. As such I make it a point to let folks merge in one at a time in front of me. Not only is it a nice thing to do but it definitely helps the process flow and alleviates tension and aggravation.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Default School Zone Crossing Reminder

You must wait for both lanes to clear before proceeding.

"1.The driver of a vehicle:
(a) Shall stop in obedience to the direction or traffic-control signal of a school crossing guard; and
(b) Shall not proceed until the highway is clear of all persons, including, without limitation, the school crossing guard."

NRS 484.356

Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Ok, so I think I was definitely more nervous than my daughter about this first day. She has already texted me that she met a girl with the same name. That's good.

Traffic on the way there, OTOH, was a mess. Now, I know school traffic always stinks, but with the lights out on Horizon and Cardelina-terrible.
Plus, not really knowing how the process went did not help matters. I would have at least thought a cop would be directing that mess at the intersection. What is up with no lights there anyway? I have already seen a few accidents.

I know it becomes a 4-way stop, but when you just come up on it and noone knows whose turn it is...well-recipe for disaster. Add in school traffic and yikes!! I was glad to make it back safely! I hope she meets some kids to walk with.
that area especially has very bad traffic, that was one of our reasons for hating Seven Hills, every exit from the community is through a school zone with lots of traffic...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
You must wait for both lanes to clear before proceeding.

"1.The driver of a vehicle:
(a) Shall stop in obedience to the direction or traffic-control signal of a school crossing guard; and
(b) Shall not proceed until the highway is clear of all persons, including, without limitation, the school crossing guard."

NRS 484.356

No crossing guards here-it is high school. But thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
School traffic is definitely bad, but it does not have to be. Unfortunately many parents do not want to take a couple of seconds to yield so traffic will move out of their smoothly and it really jams everything up. Sitting there with your blinker on trying to pull out into the street while cars just keep pulling up next to you is quite frustrating. As such I make it a point to let folks merge in one at a time in front of me. Not only is it a nice thing to do but it definitely helps the process flow and alleviates tension and aggravation.
I totally agree with you and I do the same thing. I can see the people behind me just fuming because I stop to let one car through. I was always taught that it is a "zipper effect". Would go much smoother for sure.

Pick up was crazy also. Parents are just freaky. People beeping and cussing at each other. Yikes. It was that way at the middle school back home too. Very annoying. I need to move a little further away from these schools so she can take the bus. Both states, I missed the bus route

Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
can't forget the double parking...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 51,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
No crossing guards here-it is high school. But thanks for the reminder.
At Katz, there is no crossing guard, and it's an elementary school. I live right across the street from Katz, and had to wait five minutes each time to cross the street with my daughters. No one wants to stop at all. It's a mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas