Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,268,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
Hi,
I can empathize with Kelly. My wife and I are retired and in our 60's.
All my life, I have planned on retiring to the Gulf Coast of Florida, probably Venice.

But lately an inner ear problem has sent me looking at less humid areas.
We just returned from house hunting in Henderson, NV and we liked the Sun City area very much.

But it all seemed so busy there. Maybe it's because I am more familiar with Florida, but I am struggling with the final decision. To suffer with familiar humidity or be adventurous and live in a desert.

The wife wants to go to Henderson, sooooo, I guess the decision has already been made, but I could use some validation.

Thanks
Try Sun City Summmerlin. Much quieter. Less traffic...more out of the way.

Otherwise very simlar though a few years older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
i see everyone loves Henderson what about Clark county i moving to Vegas in a couple of months is it hard like people telling me?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,028,283 times
Hard how?

Hard to find a job? Depends on what you do and whether you might need to pass a background check to do it. If you have come here to find construction work, then good luck. If you have a military or police background and looking for security work, then it's not particularly hard. If you're a chef, it's fairly easy. If you can teach English as a second language or you're a physician, nurse or medical technician, you'll have a job tomorrow. It all depends.

Hard to find a place to live? No.

Hard to deal with the day-to-day things like traffic and shopping? Not really. This city isn't nearly as bad as other places I have lived or visited.

The cost of living here is quite low compared to much of the United States. Employment can be a real problem. Or it can be very easy. What kind of work are you looking for?

Then there's the intangibles. Either you can handle our summers or you can't. Either you like living in a big city with all of its problems and advantages or you don't. That's basically up to you. I don't like living here. But many people do.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM

110 posts, read 174,596 times
Definitely can not beat the cost of living here.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,545,329 times
Funny how you (and lots of other people) consider this to be a "big city." It really isn't urban in the classic sense of the word. It's one enormous suburban sprawl. If you've been to any southestern suburb, Vegas is exactly the same thing (except with slot machines/video poker wherever you go.)

If the predominant housing type is detached single family houses, it isn't really "city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Hard how?

Hard to find a job? Depends on what you do and whether you might need to pass a background check to do it. If you have come here to find construction work, then good luck. If you have a military or police background and looking for security work, then it's not particularly hard. If you're a chef, it's fairly easy. If you can teach English as a second language or you're a physician, nurse or medical technician, you'll have a job tomorrow. It all depends.

Hard to find a place to live? No.

Hard to deal with the day-to-day things like traffic and shopping? Not really. This city isn't nearly as bad as other places I have lived or visited.

The cost of living here is quite low compared to much of the United States. Employment can be a real problem. Or it can be very easy. What kind of work are you looking for?

Then there's the intangibles. Either you can handle our summers or you can't. Either you like living in a big city with all of its problems and advantages or you don't. That's basically up to you. I don't like living here. But many people do.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,838,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Funny how you (and lots of other people) consider this to be a "big city." It really isn't urban in the classic sense of the word. It's one enormous suburban sprawl. If you've been to any southestern suburb, Vegas is exactly the same thing (except with slot machines/video poker wherever you go.)

If the predominant housing type is detached single family houses, it isn't really "city".
Sorry but I suspect the prevalent housing unit in NYC is in fact single family. Or better not high rise.

While that may predominate in Manhattan it is a minority in the other four boroughs and it contains only 1.6 million of the 8 or so million people.

Throw in the commuter counties and it is a run away for single family homes.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,545,329 times
^
Not so much. The predominent form is midrise apartments (though a lot of these would be considered high rise in Vegas.) There are a lot of single family homes out in the boroughs, but given the differences in density between, there are a lot more people in apartments than SF houses. Also, there are a lot of attached houses, which I specifcally didn't include in the suburban type.

And I also didn't include the suburbs, which are predominently SF detached houses.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,838,745 times
I did find one statistic. Half of the housing units in NYC are apartments.

So the apartment does not dominate the city any more the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas