Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 37,603 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LV in a couple of weeks and will be working at Nellis. I have narrowed down the two areas that we may live: the Northwest (West of Aliante Parkway, North of Ann) and West (West of Decatur, North of Charleston). Which area is a better place to live for $250k (1750sq+, 3BR+, pool, good schools, no pig farm)? Also, how rough is the commute from the West to Nellis at rush hour? Is it feasible to take Craig or Cheyenne the whole way? Also, is there any planned shopping/entertainment for the far Northwest (West of Decatur, North of the 215). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
buy a bank owned in the nw that is 2000+ sf for 175-200k and install your own pool.. that is what i would do....

Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,623 times
Cheyenne is good until you get down to MLK to Losee, which is really bad in the morning. They have been working on Craig around the 15, and it can get pretty congested there. Also I use to work right at Craig and Pecos and in the afternoons the traffic was hell due to everyone leaving the base.

Your best route would be to Craig and then a Right onto Lamb, then get on the 15 North, then get on to the 215 heading west. That will take you to both areas you are looking at.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM

airics: There's a ton of 'em, but (1) you lose 1/3rd when you install a pool and (2) banks don't like to finance improvements right now, and HELOCs are tough to come by.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
that is true, however you won't know the problems with the pool with a bank owned.. you may want to ask aapool for advice on this one..

Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
It sounds to me like the NW would be a better fit for your particular circumstances. As far as the commute goes, 215 east to 15 south to Craig Rd. east should do the job quite nicely. As far as shopping and entertainment, the Mall of America is supposed to be coming out here soon. For now the shopping is at the Meadows Mall or Boca Park with respect to closest possible vicinity. As far as entertainment goes that really depends on one's personal interests.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
It sounds to me like the NW would be a better fit for your particular circumstances. As far as the commute goes, 215 east to 15 south to Craig Rd. east should do the job quite nicely. As far as shopping and entertainment, the Mall of America is supposed to be coming out here soon. For now the shopping is at the Meadows Mall or Boca Park with respect to closest possible vicinity. As far as entertainment goes that really depends on one's personal interests.
What about from the area near Cheyenne & 215? Can I take Cheyenne all the way across town w/o going insane?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Summerlin (West) is nicer, but you'll get more for your money in the far northwest.

It basically comes down what's more important to you: a bigger house or slightly nicer surroundings.

You wouldn't go wrong either way.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Summerlin (West) is nicer, but you'll get more for your money in the far northwest.

It basically comes down what's more important to you: a bigger house or slightly nicer surroundings.

You wouldn't go wrong either way.

NW is clearly the best buy for your money, but I like the mature landscaping in the older areas near Summerlin, the excellent schools, and the (I've heard) cooler temps there (although I've heard the NW is cooler too).

Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbradley View Post
What about from the area near Cheyenne & 215? Can I take Cheyenne all the way across town w/o going insane?
Cheyenne and Craig move pretty well until you get near I-15 but that is being corrected as we speak. Don't know how soon it will be done. For now it's a nightmare even when it isn't during drive time. Cheyenne and 215 to I-15 to Craig to Nellis is a long way out of the way. But it sounds like you are talking about being near Ann Road? If you plan to live in NLV you'd probably take Craig to Nellis AFB. You could make it in 20 minutes but give yourself at least 30...40 until the construction is finished.
W. of Decatur, N. of Charleston takes in a huge area. Can you pin it down a little more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: